Kajmana

Canopy downsizing

I know it's in the sims, a recommended canopy progression but I couldn't find it, derrr.
Here's my question, I'm hopefully one jump away from
completing the AFF program. I started on a 265, and my 6 was on a 235. Should I expect to fly a 235 for those first 100 or so? I'm asking because I'm wondering if buying a used rig would pan out to be about the same cost wise? And when ready to downsize how well do canopies hold their value?
I don't like the idea of renting at unfamiliar dropzones, call it 'gear fear' or whatever, I just think owning your own equipment relieves some anxiety, not to mention I would like to be packing my own main, not because I don't trust their staff , I just want to know and understand this piece of fabric that is saving my life completely.
Thanks

As much information that you would like to find out here on dz your best bet would be to contact your instructors at your home dz and receive the best info from them since they know your skill level and exit weight.
Downsizing really depends on your skill level and how you are able to fly/control your canopy along with your landings etc etc. Also really depends on how much you are loading your canopy at (canopy sq ft divided by exit weight).

Talk to your instructors around your dz and simply just soak up the valuable information that they give ya.

Hope this helps ya a bit, cheers and blue skies!;)

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Jonathan Tagle says that when you can do EVERYTHING proficiently on the A-license card for canopy work, then bring it down a size (if you want).

Chances are you will be able to come down the first couple sizes fairly quickly, so if you purchase a 235 now, you might be regretting it in a few dozen jumps. It will probably end up saving you money to rent for a little while, see what you're comfortable with, then buy a reasonably sized canopy.

Also your question regarding canopies retaining their value it's generally goes for $1 off for each jump you do on it unless there is some damage to it
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

How much do you weigh? Add 25-30 pounds for gear weight. This weight, in pounds, is the minimum square footage canopy you should jump until you have over 100 jumps. Bigger will generally enhance your safety, not detract from it.

Then, get some canopy coaching from a good instructor. Learn how to deal with different wind conditions, what to do in turbulence. Have someone video your landings and critique your technique. And when someone says "Go ahead and downsize early. Just be careful," tell them I said that's a good way to get hurt really badly. :)