MikeCNY

Help Needed C182 Door Problem

I’m in the process of installing a jump door on a 1965 Cessna 182H. The fuel strainer is making contact with the upper left hand corner of the door. The result this the door can’t open all the way up to the wing and is considerably lower than what I have ever seen on any other 182. My only thought at this point is to make a hole in the door so the strainer can recess into it. However, putting a hole in that part of the door could make it much weaker. I think the fuel strainer has an AD on it so I don’t think a new strainer will be the solution.

Has anyone had this problem before and what was the solution? Any input or pictures posted would be greatly appreciated.

our 182 has a hole so it may sink in. that being said I wonder if you can run the threaded part further into the wing then tighten the locking nut (so it sits flush with the nut)

Was that corner of the door reinforced at all?

If we raise the strainer by moving the threads up into the wing I would be concerned with water not draining out of the tank properly.

I’m in the process of installing a jump door on a 1965 Cessna 182H. The fuel strainer is making contact with the upper left hand corner of the door. The result this the door can’t open all the way up to the wing and is considerably lower than what I have ever seen on any other 182. My only thought at this point is to make a hole in the door so the strainer can recess into it. However, putting a hole in that part of the door could make it much weaker. I think the fuel strainer has an AD on it so I don’t think a new strainer will be the solution.

Has anyone had this problem before and what was the solution? Any input or pictures posted would be greatly appreciated.

Saf-Air flush mounted drain valves:
see: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ap/fuel_drainvalves.html

Do NOT cut a hole in the door unless you wish to appear on "white trash repairs".

our 182 has a hole so it may sink in. that being said I wonder if you can run the threaded part further into the wing then tighten the locking nut (so it sits flush with the nut)

Was that corner of the door reinforced at all?

If we raise the strainer by moving the threads up into the wing I would be concerned with water not draining out of the tank properly.

Actually our drains sit closer to the fuselage so the hole is not actually in the metal but in the plexi of the window (marked in green) It has a flush mount drain but due to the location still needs a hole. Also note the bumpers (marked in red). You might be able to use bigger ones , though the opening height of the door will suffer a small bit

great jump ship mr Smith!

The only thing I can think of that would cause an issue with a flush mounted drain would be that the piano hinge is not mounted to the fuselage low enough.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.