jf951

exiting a small low wing aircraft

It all depends on the specific type of aircraft. Position and design of the engine, door, tail, control surfaces, etc. all play important roles.

What type, specifically, do you want to jump? Would it be a single jumper exiting, or multiple jumpers at once?

I know someone that used to jump out of a bonanza regularly. I guess getting out the door was the hardest part, but after that you can just slide right off the wing. A lot of low wing, single engine planes have a door that opens into the wind, so it would be tricky.

I used to own and fly a plane of similar configuration and can tell you that type of plane is not skydiving friendly. Several are not certified to fly without the door and on many models the door opens against the air stream. On others the door would not withstand a fully open position in full flight.
The wing is only designed to carry passenger weight on the part right next to the fuselage and there is a rigid step just aft of that part of the wing to aid in climbing up and down from the wing - this definitely needs to be avoided on your exit. On many you would be crawling across or sliding across a flight surface (flap) to complete the exit. Those surfaces are not meant to carry your weight.
Lastly, the distance to the tail is not great, increasing the risk of a tail strike on exit.
One positive note is the plane can fly slower than the usual jump planes and you will drop quickly in that slower air stream, helping to avoid the tail.
Good luck!
The meaning of life . . . is to make life have meaning.

How do you handle the climb out of a bonanza--specifically the door? I recently got an opportunity to go up with a co-worker's husband who owns one of those (got a little stick time!) and from what I saw it looked like it would be really tricky to do.

I used to own and fly a plane of similar configuration and can tell you that type of plane is not skydiving friendly. Several are not certified to fly without the door and on many models the door opens against the air stream. On others the door would not withstand a fully open position in full flight.
The wing is only designed to carry passenger weight on the part right next to the fuselage and there is a rigid step just aft of that part of the wing to aid in climbing up and down from the wing - this definitely needs to be avoided on your exit. On many you would be crawling across or sliding across a flight surface (flap) to complete the exit. Those surfaces are not meant to carry your weight.
Lastly, the distance to the tail is not great, increasing the risk of a tail strike on exit.
One positive note is the plane can fly slower than the usual jump planes and you will drop quickly in that slower air stream, helping to avoid the tail.
Good luck!

that confirmed my initial thoughts. i wasn't personally planning on jumping from that type of aircraft i was curious as to if it could be done because someone was just asking about it. thanks for the feed back guys
Jump more, Bitch less.

How do you handle the climb out of a bonanza--specifically the door? I recently got an opportunity to go up with a co-worker's husband who owns one of those (got a little stick time!) and from what I saw it looked like it would be really tricky to do.

She said it was pretty tricky. I'm not sure exactly how she did it, but I think she said it was hard to keep her handles clear.

Having the right pilot helps a lot, gotta be in slow flight and slip it to reduce door pressure. Watch your handles and stay close to the fuselage..on Beech sun-downers there is a little lock on the upper part of the door that has a tab outside so when the wind is blowin' the door stays locked, a Swiss army knife can defeat that. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I've got a number of low-wing jumps (mostly Pipers, but not all, even a V-tail Beech).
If exiting solo, put the right seat all the way back and kind of kneel on it facing backwards, open door and set your left foot out on the wing far enough to hold the door, then roll out and down. Make sure the pilot has the nose low and uses some rudder to ease opening the door.
For 2-way, 1st out steps out with right foot, facing forward, left foot onto step, right foot trailing and get low, 2nd facing back as in solo exit.
Spotting is actually easy if you know the area well, impossible if you don't
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

I have a few jumps from a Piper cherokee, and a Piper twin comanche. Have the pilot slip away from the exit door, (probably right) and bring the power all the way back on the jump side motor. You can even have the pilot help push and hold the door open. Once you are out on the wing, close the door and enjoy the ride.