back to skydiving

i could be wrong here, but i know where i learned at, deland, had a totally separate and HUUUUUGE area dedicated to students and low number jumpers.

Deland is a very large airport, and they don't seem to mind sharing a good bit of that space with the DZ for landing areas. More typical is a smaller (than Deland) dedicated landing area, with lots of open areas nearby you can land in if you need to. Everyone tries to land in the 'regular' landing area, so that's where your traffic will be concentrated, and where a big canopy and higher opening altitude will help out.

There's a similar phenomenon that happens on a smaller scale, which is within the 'regluar' landing area, there will be an even greater concentration of jumpers landing in the quadrant nearest to the hanger/packing area/runway crossing. That's where the saying comes from, "Better to walk 300 ft. then to be carried 30 ft.", meaning that you take your chances trying to land close, and may need an ambulance one day because of it. Land out in the sticks, and you'll have a long, lonley walk back, but at least you'll still be able to walk.

i could be wrong here, but i know where i learned at, deland, had a totally separate and HUUUUUGE area dedicated to students and low number jumpers.

Deland is a very large airport, and they don't seem to mind sharing a good bit of that space with the DZ for landing areas. More typical is a smaller (than Deland) dedicated landing area, with lots of open areas nearby you can land in if you need to. Everyone tries to land in the 'regular' landing area, so that's where your traffic will be concentrated, and where a big canopy and higher opening altitude will help out.

There's a similar phenomenon that happens on a smaller scale, which is within the 'regluar' landing area, there will be an even greater concentration of jumpers landing in the quadrant nearest to the hanger/packing area/runway crossing. That's where the saying comes from, "Better to walk 300 ft. then to be carried 30 ft.", meaning that you take your chances trying to land close, and may need an ambulance one day because of it. Land out in the sticks, and you'll have a long, lonley walk back, but at least you'll still be able to walk.

yeah, that was my point. ive only jumped at deland but visited a few others and thats exactly what happens, everyone trys to get as close to the beer line, or hanger as they physically can. id rather walk a few yards than risk hitting/being hit by someone or something
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.