100LL

After AFF??

i only managed to get 6 jumps done last summer but i worked up through level 5 on the AFF course. ( had to do one twice :( )

anyway i was wondering what is the best way to continue after i am cleared for solo jumps this summer? i heard that you can jump solo and practice, but i have also heard that you should jump with a coach a lot to really learn for your final jump.

Im conflicted because i want to learn the most i can, but im trying not to spend all the money i saved up so that i can have enough left over still to buy some used gear once i am licensed. Any ideas???

If the DZ started one for you, take a look at the A license proficiency card, and if they didn't, you can find it somewhere at USPA.org

Either way, it outlines what you need to do for an A license, and some of that involves air skills which must be demonstrated to a coach or instructor. So while you may be cleared for solo after 8 or 10 AFF jumps, you cannot just do solos up to jump 25 and get a license, some of the jumps will have to be with a coach or instructor.

Check with the DZ to see what their policy is, and what they charge for those jumps. They may also have a 'cirriculum' in place for you to follow post-AFF and pre-license that will make sure you get everything you need.

Some of you’re a license jumps need to be witnessed by other jumpers. At our DZ the senior jumpers will do two ways with the students foregoing any coach jump cost. Ask around. Your seniors may do the same.

Not to highjack this thread: Ive done a few solos since my AFF, do the solo jumps in between coaching need to be signed in my logbook to prove I've met the 25 total needed?

Not to highjack this thread: Ive done a few solos since my AFF, do the solo jumps in between coaching need to be signed in my logbook to prove I've met the 25 total needed?

Yes. They not only need to be signed, the log entires must include specific information.

Read here at section C:

http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section3/tabid/165/Default.aspx

And then start at the beginning and read through to the end.
Owned by Remi #?

Yes. They not only need to be signed, the log entires must include specific information.

What sort of "specific information" could someone log on a solo jump that would be useful in getting the 'A'? At least when it comes to the FF part of the jump, most of the post-AFF mad skillz :)
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

What sort of "specific information" could someone log on a solo jump that would be useful in getting the 'A'?

Sounds like you might want to read the SIM too.

I just did. There's not much in there in FF that can be done without a coach. The post-AFF skills are various forms of tracking, docking/redocking, and breaking off--all of which clearly require a coach/instructor to actually see and participate in to sign off on.

I suppose you might be referring to the clear and pulls (5500/3500) or the spotting skills, but at my DZ, those are also considered coach jumps, not solos.

When it comes to canopy stuff I agree there is stuff that might be signed off on a solo--but it is hard to see what else.

The particular info in "Section C" that you referred to is just the standard info that every logbook provides spaces to fill in. As long as each entry is filled in completely before signing, there shouldn't be a problem.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Before someone is licensed, they spend a number of jumps both solo and with instructors and coaches. USPA requires that all jumps, coached or not, include specific information. Some of the informatio they require includes the aircraft exited, the equipment used, exit altitude, landing accuracy, etc. You may feel that this information has no value to a student but the fact is that this information has value for the instructors and coaches who ultimately work with the student to help them get that license.

That means that in the long run, those logging requirements help both students and instructors put a big picture together during training.

Does that make sense now?
Owned by Remi #?

Does that make sense now?

I think so, yes. Your earlier post to "start at the beginning and read through to the end" made me think you were talking about something else, but I think I follow what you are referring to now.

The particular info in "Section C" that you referred to is just the standard info that every logbook provides spaces to fill in. As long as each entry is filled in completely before signing, there shouldn't be a problem.

I would like to discuss this as well. The same logbook you mention also has a signature block, yet here is a student with a question about whether or not a signature is required. This is a student. It's nice to be able to provide a simple technical reference to answer that question and provide some learning.

If you don't agree with the requirements why not work toward becoming one of the people who set the standards rather than bringing questions about guidelines and training standards into a students mind?
Owned by Remi #?

I think so, yes. Your earlier post to "start at the beginning and read through to the end" made me think you were talking about something else, but I think I follow what you are referring to now.

I'm not very articulate most of the time.
Owned by Remi #?