MirageSkydiver

Skydive Houston or Skydive Spaceland

Experienced Jumpers at Spaceland are asked to leave a credit card for the day and then are charged out at the end of their jumping. If you do not jump you simply pick up your card and nothing has been charged.

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

I jump @ Spaceland...B|

Skydive Houston is more of a club atmosphere IMO...nothing wrong with that, it's more social.

I like Spaceland because I can go knock out half a dozen jumps arriving late morning and leaving late afternoon. Tough to do that without several acraft turning, it fits my weekend sehedule.

There always seems to be lots of people around of various expierence levels that are willing to help those in need,...,check it out, you won't be disapointed!

I'm the old guy with the Cubs hat!! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

We should jump together some time :) !

He will be the guy with the gear that was fashionable 40 years ago and a log book that is actually stone tablets.

Good luck signing that mofo!

:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Hey Ski...yeah not only is my logbook OLDER than you, it flys better! :P

Yeah, like that's hard to do!:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I usually go to skydive houston but i'm really not feeling this DZ. I seem to get dirty looks when I need some help trying to pack my chute. Anyone ever been to Spaceland or jump there on a regular basis???

I think I was the queen of having trouble packing when I jumped at SDH for a few years. People busted my chops over it sometimes, but it was all in good fun and I wouldn't expect anything less from my dz friends. I know the guys there just wouldn't give people dirty looks for nothin'. I never experienced it and I don't think I ever witnessed anybody experience it. I think you need to give it another chance! Definitely a great crowd out there and IMO, comparing the two DZ's, it's definitely more fun jumper friendly and fun there.

I have to ask though....are you just politely asking for help every now and then and continue going your own way packing, or is a packer constantly coming over and doing quite a bit of the pack job for you? I'm not accusing you of doing that, but I've seen people do that before and sure, that might start irking somebody eventually. Like I said, I was (and still am!) the queen of needing help but I am also the queen of a 'thank you' beer at the end of the day for that somebody who took time and went out of their way for me. It's definitely not expected, but if I took up quite a bit of a packers time on a consistent basis for the day when he/she could have spent the time doing paid pack jobs... well, then it's not a bad idea, I think! Just my .02 on something like that.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

My $0.02? If a business only screws some of their customers? They're still screwing people. I choose not to patronize such businesses. I was planning on a jumpcation trip to Spaceland. It's a large, nice-looking operation w/great equipment. Apparently, they've paid for some of that through dirty practices. I know there are several DZ.commers who jump there. This isn't about them. It's about the business practices @a DZ.

My $0.02? If a business only screws some of their customers? They're still screwing people. I choose not to patronize such businesses. I was planning on a jumpcation trip to Spaceland. It's a large, nice-looking operation w/great equipment. Apparently, they've paid for some of that through dirty practices. I know there are several DZ.commers who jump there. This isn't about them. It's about the business practices @a DZ.

Really?

Ok, you're going to miss out, since it is a top-class DZ with a world class aircraft fleet and staff.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm sort of with Lyra on this one. I jump at SDH a lot, and my experiences there are that most people are more than willing to help someone learning to pack as long as they are making a genuine effort, not just looking for someone to do it for them. I'm curious about those dirty looks, and under just what circumstances you got them. If you were packing in the tandem area or something like that, I can believe it might happen, but I'd really expect one of the packers to let you know if that was the case. I'm there at least one day most weekends, and would be more than happy to lend a hand such as I'm able. I think most everyone out there knows me by my DZ.com handle, if you ask.
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

"Really? Ok, you're going to miss out, since it is a top-class DZ with a world class aircraft fleet and staff."

Yes, Really, Dave. Just like I said. Other DZs offer just as much (or more), & don't shit on some of their customers. Let the buyer decide. I don't think the OP needs a rehash of the other thread, here. He can read the original one.

"Really? Ok, you're going to miss out, since it is a top-class DZ with a world class aircraft fleet and staff."

Yes, Really, Dave. Just like I said. Other DZs offer just as much (or more), & don't shit on some of their customers. Let the buyer decide. I don't think the OP needs a rehash of the other thread, here. He can read the original one.

You know, I have some unused lift tickets from SD Arizona that I couldn't get a refund for. I think I might even have one from Lake Wales, but that was at least two owners ago, couldn't get a refund then, doubt I can get one now.

I guess you can scratch those two DZs off your list too. That's really too bad, since all of those DZs are fun to jump at.

ahhhh ... admit the truth Dave ... you're just in love with their giant swoop pond ... ;):D

I even liked their little swoop ditch they used to have too.

I've been going to this DZ for nearly 10 years, just a few times a year, not a regular jumper there. Each time I go the staff, owner and manager are always greeting me with a smile. Same with the fun jumpers. It has been that way since the first time I went, where I had borrowed gear and under 50 jumps.

Both SD Houton and SD Spaceland are good DZs and people are doing a disservice to themselves if they are unwilling to visit either!

I honestly have no idea where to start when it comes to packing.. God help me :'(

Stow your toggles.

Seriously though, talk to one of the packers/riggers at your DZ. Offer a lunch/beer/bribe with a request to be taught. You won't get to learn at 2pm on a busy Saturday, but maybe a Friday afternoon or on a bad weather day. Then you get to practice and practice to get better. If you don't practice, then you won't get better.

PD has an excellent packing video up on their blog, that's a good place to start as well.

I honestly have no idea where to start when it comes to packing.. God help me :'(

Stow your toggles.

Seriously though, talk to one of the packers/riggers at your DZ. Offer a lunch/beer/bribe with a request to be taught. You won't get to learn at 2pm on a busy Saturday, but maybe a Friday afternoon or on a bad weather day. Then you get to practice and practice to get better. If you don't practice, then you won't get better.

PD has an excellent packing video up on their blog, that's a good place to start as well.

What he said :)
Those guys are more than willing to help out there. They helped me, but Dave is right-- a busy saturday is definitely not the best day to ask those guys to continually come over and help you (even if you are a beer buyer at the end of the day!). If you can get there on a Friday afternoon, or a day where the weather is in and out, then take the time then to go through packing with one of the guys and ask some questions. If you are at an absolute loss where to even start and can't secure that little packing lesson right away, then I'd just pay the packer to do your rig for the time being instead of getting frustrated that nobody is falling over themselves to help you (and basically packing your rig for free in the process). I've been there, and it sucks.... paying for pack jobs for a few years was a good motivator to make me to finally get packing down and do it by myself! I am seriously the slowest packer in the world, but at least I'm doing my own pack jobs now.

Have you talked to manifest to see if there are any packing classes scheduled? Or if a coach or somebody is available to be schedule for a lesson with you? I think they'll set you up if you ask next time you're out!

Good luck with packing! :)
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

well, i'm only 18 soooo I don't think the beer buying will be much good, lol.

Well, when I was a broke-college-student-packer, a lunch and gatorade went a LONG way. Especially during a hot and busy Saturday during the summer. ;)

well, i'm only 18 soooo I don't think the beer buying will be much good, lol.

Well, when I was a broke-college-student-packer, a lunch and gatorade went a LONG way. Especially during a hot and busy Saturday during the summer. ;)

I used to contribute to the beer fund instead of buying when I was sub 21. or I would ask a friend to go get it for me & just gave them the $.