skymama

Do you have staff rates at your dz?

I am curious if it is the norm for a dropzone to offer special rates to their staff for fun jumps. Is it different for AFF Instrucors as compared to Tandem Instructors or videographers, or does everyone get the same rate?

Do full timers get a better rate than part timers?

Do you think special rates are going to be something that will die off so dz's can make more income without having to raise jump prices?

If you want to tell us how much of a discount you get, fell free to share that too.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

One wonders if the up jumpers really know if there are staff rates or not. "I don't know" might be a reasonable poll option....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I am curious if it is the norm for a dropzone to offer special rates to their staff for fun jumps

Most DZ's I have worked at have staff rates

Is it different for AFF Instrucors as compared to Tandem Instructors or videographers, or does everyone get the same rate?

Most staff is the same... I have seen office staff get a better rate than the jumping staff.

Do full timers get a better rate than part timers?

Not where I work now, but at other places I have worked, yes.

Do you think special rates are going to be something that will die off so dz's can make more income without having to raise jump prices?

No. I'd bet the number of staff jumps made do not really account for much and that most staff rates are above or at break even for the slot.

If you want to tell us how much of a discount you get, fell free to share that too.

Don't think I should say my current discount... But it has normally been the break even point for a full plane load. That number has adjusted based on costs.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The couple I've worked at in southern Ontario don't have staff rates, and I haven't heard of it otherwise used locally.

If a person is a particularly valuable member of a team (Chief manifester, Tandem team Captain, full time weekday guy, whatever), then they can get paid more. But jump rates are the same.

One DZO had tried it years ago, but the old issue was that someone could get all the benefits of being "on the team" but then only take up a few students all year. This is particularly true at DZ's relying on a lot of part time staff who have a greater choice whether to fun jump or instruct any given day. Pay people decently for the work they do at the DZ in the first place, and then there's a decent chance they'll spend it on more jumps anyway...

(Edit: One could also get into the tax implications of pay vs. costs, or benefits that might be considered taxable, and what's obvious to authorities or not.)

Our staff do not pay for jumps, we are a relativly new DZ and we want to ensure our staff stick around, are skilled, are enjoying themselves and do not lose the passion for the sport.

We get very, very little sport jumpers here, so it works for us.

Every DZ that has offered free staff jumps that I have been at has happy staff and good retention.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

We have staff rates. Doesn't matter what you do and if you're full or part time, everyone gets the same staff rate.

I don't think they'll dissapear. As someone said earlier, so few staff jumps are made at that rate for it really to make a difference.

One wonders if the up jumpers really know if there are staff rates or not. "I don't know" might be a reasonable poll option....

Bill, this is copied/pasted from SDTC website...
Every Friday is "Staff Rate Friday"! $19 to 13,000' skydives for licensed jumpers.

I also did not know this.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Our staff do not pay for jumps, we are a relativly new DZ and we want to ensure our staff stick around, are skilled, are enjoying themselves and do not lose the passion for the sport.

We get very, very little sport jumpers here, so it works for us.

Every DZ that has offered free staff jumps that I have been at has happy staff and good retention.

Where you at Rhys? you with Kelly and Dave?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?