Julaynemaries

Finishing up my AFF question

hmmmm so I was told keep your hands at the 90 degrees but push down, it didnt feel right. (and I obviously didnt do it right)

Some instructors teach "hands out to the sides some" for student back loops to enhance lateral stability, but that costs you power.

im curious to hear how my instructor tomorrow tells me, I really like him, he was on my 1st jump with me, and almost every load, i dont know why i didnt stick with him........and he IS the reason I can combine 6 back loop and 7 tracking on my next jump.....

Sounds like he's doing you a good job. At many DZs, including ours, you can state your preference for instructors. Schedule permitting, we'll try to accomodate that. You can mention, if he doesn't, that you heard "hands forward" made better backloops. A good instructor can handle a question or two like that.

Plus he's super weird, and strange is much much betta!

Well, you've certainly come to the right sport.:P

Yep, that's the right way to do it. What was the other guy teaching?:S:D

I don't really remember exactly (because the conversation moved quickly) but I think it was mostly a change in initial arm position and then an emphasis on how to execute the arm movement. I find them fun to do because if you time your re-arch just right (and I did), the flip and restability become one smooth graceful movement. (I almost felt like I cheated on that part of the test since the if you execute it just right, it's not really "instability". I've since done them with my arms extended out, and that works but also gives you a sense of instability.)

you should have plenty of time to do those on one jump. it is weird that he failed you on a backflip. i've heard multiple instructors say they just want you to get unstable and regain belly orientation, a so the backflip isn's as important as being able get back stable.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

it is weird that he failed you on a backflip. i've heard multiple instructors say they just want you to get unstable and regain belly orientation, a so the backflip isn's as important as being able get back stable.

I'm thinking it was the second part of her sentence that caused the need to repeat: "Did the rolls no backflip although I tried, I ended up head down and spinning. " That indicates difficulty regaining belly orientation.

Either way, none of us was on the skydive so we have to trust the instructor's decision to ask the OP to repeat that part of the jump (which, as everyone has indicated, is not the end of the world).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Just a little update!

My jump was AWESOME! I did 2 extra barrel rolls AND an extra backflip, my instructor did a couple too for fun. My dive out exit was so smooth I couldnt believe it!
I dont know why I was so worried.........silly girl!

Thanks for all your support!!! (This weekend I will be finishing my AFF and doing a few self supervised jumps) LOVVVVVVVVVVE this!

Congrats!!!

How good does it feel to pull that off after you have been worrying about it so much? The only thing I liked better on my last AFF jump then knowing I passed, was watching my instructor giving me the thumbs up while head down and then proceed to do some crazy shit while i waved off and pulled.

I just did my first self supervised a couple weeks ago. its a little intimidating (trying not to look like such a rookie), but once you get out the door its amazing. best feeling not having someone watch and judge you. dont be surprised if you unintentionally yell "yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaa" a few times when your canopy deploys and then look around and make sure no one heard you.

again, congrats.

Congrats!!!

dont be surprised if you unintentionally yell "yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaa" a few times when your canopy deploys and then look around and make sure no one heard you.

again, congrats.

Haha, I already do that! :) Thanks for the congrats! Tomorrow i should be well on my way to my A! Im excited!