motman

Legalities of jumping out of a friends plane.

I have never jumped yet I hope to start an AFF program in the next month though.

Of course this isn't something I'm considering doing, so don't get your pants in a knot. But what are the legalities of jumping? I realize you can't land just anywhere(legally) but what about planes? Is it legal to jump out of just anyones plane who has a private pilots license or does the pilot have to be qualified? I'm guessing they do...

I'm really new to the sport myself and I'm sure some more knowledgeable people will chime in, but I'll take a stab at it.

As far as I can tell, there isn't any special license required for a pilot to drop jumpers. There are certain restrictions however. The SIM (Skydivers Information Manual) is available as a free .pdf download on the USPA website. I think you'll be able to find most of the answers to your questions there.

Do a search. This has been asked lots of times.
The basics: Any pilot, but if they aren't commercial, you can't pay them. (gas compensation is ok though).
You need the proper aircraft. The FARs will tell you.
Landing area: You need to land with the property owner's permission.

Searches will tell you everything you need to know.

As far as the airplane goes, there is no restrictions as to what type of airplane can be used unless the jumps are performed for compensation and then you can't use a experimental category airplane. As far as the pilot goes if he/she has only a private pilot lisc., they must share in the cost of operating the aircraft. You can not compensate them, that would be a commercial operation and for that they need to have a commercial lisc. As far as where they can land you must obtain permission from the land owner if it is private property. The regs state that a pilot may not drop objects from a plane (you) in a manner as to endanger persons or property on the ground. Due to the fact that you have no formal training as of yet, this one might bite you. This type of operation (pilot friend trying to get you out the door of his A/C) if it were to result in any type of "incident or accident" might bring careless and reckless operation into play. Assuming you obtain the required experience and follow the FAR's (file a notam, contact the radar controlling agency having control over the airspace that you intend to jump through), it is both possible and legal to make a jump like this. Now head out to your local DZ get some training and experience.

As far as the airplane goes, there is no restrictions as to what type of airplane can be used unless the jumps are performed for compensation and then you can't use a experimental category airplane. As far as the pilot goes if he/she has only a private pilot lisc., they must share in the cost of operating the aircraft. You can not compensate them, that would be a commercial operation and for that they need to have a commercial lisc. As far as where they can land you must obtain permission from the land owner if it is private property. The regs state that a pilot may not drop objects from a plane (you) in a manner as to endanger persons or property on the ground. Due to the fact that you have no formal training as of yet, this one might bite you. This type of operation (pilot friend trying to get you out the door of his A/C) if it were to result in any type of "incident or accident" might bring careless and reckless operation into play. Assuming you obtain the required experience and follow the FAR's (file a notam, contact the radar controlling agency having control over the airspace that you intend to jump through), it is both possible and legal to make a jump like this. Now head out to your local DZ get some training and experience.

Thanks for the information. I am interested in doing this someday, just want to make sure everything is legal.

I've done it.........just got the right pilot and plane ...hush....hush! But my air space was clear and always was! Jumped out of a C-152 in WY.

Haha, where at? I go to school in Laramie.

"

As far as the airplane goes, there is no restrictions as to what type of airplane can be used ...

"

I disagree!

The airplane needs to be approved (by the Federal Aviation Administration) for flight with the door open.

Most single-engined Cessnas (120, 140, 150, 152, 170, 172, 175, 180 , 182, 185, 205, 206, 207, 208 and 210) can be flown with a door removed, because that configuration is mentioned in the original type certificate.

Most of the hgh-wing Pipers are approved for lfight with a door removed, but the Cherokee Six is the only low-wing Piper I have seen used for skydiving.
Most helicopters are approved for flight with a door slid open (think cargo door on a Huey) or removed.

Most airplanes made by DeHavilland of Canada are approved for flight with doors removed, mind you, most DZOs add an STCed inflight door.

A Supplementary Type Certificate is required for airplanes not approved by the FAA. To obtain an STC, you need to hire an diplomaed aeronautical engineer and do (hire a certified engineering test pilot) a bunch of test flights to prove that the airplane is still controllable - in all configurations - with the door removed.
This sort of evaluation and modification requires extensive experience as a jump-master, aircraft maintenance engineer, rivet-basher, etc.

The simple answer is that it is cheaper and simpler to pay your local drop zone to fly you up to altitude.