rhanold

Self Induced Malfunction (video)

This is Pal T on a 12.5m thriller. (the paragliding equivelent of Luigi landing the 39)

I think Luigi's wl was 4.25 on 39 ft2
while Pal T had 7.4 kg / m2
which equals wing load of 1.51/ft2

Is there some different calculation?
What goes around, comes later.

This is Pal T on a 12.5m thriller. (the paragliding equivelent of Luigi landing the 39)

I think Luigi's wl was 4.25 on 39 ft2
while Pal T had 7.4 kg / m2
which equals wing load of 1.51/ft2

Is there some different calculation?

No different calculation, the difference is those maneuvers at that loading is just as impressive as merely landing. Obviously there is no issue being able to walk away from landing it. 12.5m for a paraglider makes a pretty twitchy control. This is not a speed glider, and it is amazing what agility Pal got out of the load research project.

Normal acro loading is between 4.5 and 5 kg/m2
Pal is bumped it up a handful of notches.

Pal is increasing the load by 25-35%% and doing things better as well as things that nobody has done before.

a full mile off the ground is too low to do acro on ANY landable canopy?

Maybe for those who have no clue that the canopy will do exactly what it is commanded to do. Not everyone is a gifted pilot. Some are just payloads playin "what does this button do".
Sept 24th ITW.
Take care,
space

a full mile off the ground is too low to do acro on ANY landable canopy?

Maybe for those who have no clue that the canopy will do exactly what it is commanded to do. Not everyone is a gifted pilot. Some are just payloads playin "what does this button do".
Sept 24th ITW.
Take care,
space

I guess I see your point, there are students and less than gifted people. Either way, we throw IAD students out at 3000' or whatever, right? I also know more than a few skydivers that are unsafe on anything but a tandem who are convinced that DEPLOYING a parachute below 4000' is a safe maneuver. :)

Homeslice here had his shit sorted out above some safe jumpers' hard decks. He obviously has the skill and foresight to be able to mess something up at even a lower altitude than that. He had his rescue parachute out and in control at a very reasonable and safe altitude, even after fighting the induced mal for a while.

Also, it should be known that playin "what does this button do" game is how a lot of the coolest moves to ever be done are invented. :P

-SPACE-