ducpilot1

Ears and skydiving

I've always wanted to skydive but am really concerned about my ears. I always have a bit of pain when taking off and landing on airplanes. I do SCUBA dive but I have to descend rather slowly.

The difference in SCUBA is that I can control my rate of descent and can abort if I feel discomfort but I know that in a freefall I will not have that option...

Here is my question. How much of a pressure change is there when you freefall, do you really feel your ears pop rapidly as you are coming down? Is there a risk of rupturing a ear drum if your ears don't equalize fast enough, like there is in SCUBA?

I am in Argentina and there is a skydive with the backdrop being the Andes that I want to do...but I am concerned about this. Thanks for any info :)

We have a very good search function [ear + pressure]that will provide you with a lot of information:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_type=AND&search_string=ear+pressure

You might want to speak to a good Ear, Nose & Throat doctor also... Good Luck and post pics of the backdrop if you do it!!
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I've always been curious of issues with hearing damage. I've had trouble locating anything that says whether or not the wind noise/dytters will hurt your hearing. I jump a Rawa FF helmet and it's pretty quiet, but I'm about to put a pro dytter in that too...thoughts anyone?
Find your peace, though the world around you burns

I don't feel the pressure change in free fall (this might be because of the adrenaline rush, might change later when I'm more experienced), but I really feel it under the canopy. I equalize before I take the toggles down. I would never go up if I couldn't clear my ears while on ground.

I would consult with your doctor first though. Maybe you have problems with your sinuses? I went to my doc after my first tandem jump, where I perforated my ear drum. I was afraid of this happening again, especially since I've been having small sinus issues this year. My doctor had this thing that he could check the pressure in my ears, and they were normal. He told me to go for it, but use nose spray if I felt a bit stuffed up. I was really nervous when I started my AFF though, I was positive it would happen again. It didn't though, but I was using nose spray and decongestans (non-drowsy).

Yes, there is a risk that they will rupture if you don't clear them fast enough. I didn't equalize fast enough on my first jump (I didn't even try the Valsalva maneuver, I'm positive my ear would be fine if I did), therefore - a perforated ear drum. Didn't hurt or anything, but I was told by my doctor to not jump until it was healed.

At 15000 feet the pressure on a standard day is 8.29 psia and at sea level its 14.7 psia. Thats less than 1/2 atmosphere or 16 feet deep scuba diving.
No need to equalize in freefall.*

*With normal functioning sinuses and ears...
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

I've always been curious of issues with hearing damage. I've had trouble locating anything that says whether or not the wind noise/dytters will hurt your hearing. I jump a Rawa FF helmet and it's pretty quiet, but I'm about to put a pro dytter in that too...thoughts anyone?

The wind noise from air flowing past your ears (uncovered) at freeway driving speeds will cause permanent damage. How much your particular helmet reduces that noise is unknown, but audibles are nominally set to allow you to hear them above the roar of the wind, so I'd expect them to be harmful. some of the audibles can be set to lower volumes, don't know if that is low enough.

This thread is a good discussion of what I think are the best earplugs.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I may stand corrected but the "cabin pressure" on an average airline flight at cruise is maintained around 7,000ft to 10,000ft. So similar pressure change. It is slowly increased during descent over 20-30minutes. So... not so similar rate of change :)

If you have ever had your ears not pop on the way down to land in an airliner it's definitely very sore but usually non-damaging. Makes a damn good fart noise when it does finally go.

Descent is usually easier to deal with as you can force equalize the inner ear by holding your nose and forcing air up your sinus cavities. Just like blowing your nose, except you don't let the pressure release into the hankie. Worst is you end up with a snotty mitt.

You could also try to not equalize your ears on the way up! Don't swallow, don't yawn etc.