SkymonkeyONE

One-man downplane landing on Fort Bragg

So when I asked my instructor "What is the purpose of this cable" and he told me "that's connected to your silver handle and will cutaway the main in the event a student goes right to silver, it's only on some student rigs." Then he stressed to practice the EP's I was taught and not to think about this feature that's on only some student rigs. So you mean to tell me he made that whole thing up!?!?!?!

(emphasis mine)

Tricky tricky!! You have answered your own question... what do you think?

Sounds like an attempt at monkey-proofing. It's not an SOS system (which would entail one handle for cutaway and reserve deployment alike), I don't think I've ever seen such a device. Can you describe this cable... what did it look like and where was it routed on the rig?

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

should be part of ANY first jump course where students jump with AAD's...
If the student doesn't react because he doesn't remember that part of the training it is understandable, but it could be argued that 'more training prior to the jump' is needed. If he doesn't react because nobody told him about this possibility?...

I sort of agree with you, it would be good if every eventuality had been covered in the FJC. However, I wonder whether it could lead to information overload? I often wonder how much of the stuff people are taught in their FJC actually is in a 'readily accessible' place in their mind when they actually jump. I had a malfunction as a student I had never heard about, went back to basics 'is it big, square and controllable', did control checks and decided to cut away. I think we should put more stress on this element than try to talk about all possible eventualities. Doing a 'big square controllable' check should help identify why the main is diving and positioned further forward.

tash

You mentioned information overload..
In AFF they have pounded this situation into my head..
being new.. I hope I would react with a cut away.. because thats what they tell us to do.

I think you might have mistaken the RSL cable and how it works.

The RSL cable deploys the reserve after you cutaway. You must pull the cutaway handle on your right then the reserve handle on your left. The way the RSL works is by drag. IF the main has enough drag once it is released from the container the RSl cable will pull the reserve pin as the main separates away from your container.

However you must always do your EPS as your instructor tells you. There are malfunctions that might not have enough drag to pull your reserve pin (such as a bag lock). The RSL is there as a safety not something to rely on.

I really suggest you talk to one of your instructors. I am not an instructor or familiar with the particular gear you are using. If we all seem a little bit aggressive it is because we don’t want you to kill your self dude.

Be safe.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Not directed at anyone but everyone needs to stop "helping" this guy, he needs to talk to his instructors about his student gear immediately so as to avoid further confusion.

Trying to explain the in and outs of RSLs, SOS, Skyhook, etc should be left for later in his progression and will accomplish nothing more then to further muddy the waters.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

just to clarify a little about what Witelli is talkin about.... the student gear at our DZ has a cable that automatically cuts away the main if you just pull silver....I trained on the same student gear and was not aware of this. Students are not told this i assume becasue this shoulde NEVER be relied upon. These are Quasar student rigs...has nobdy else heard of this? I've been to other DZ's as a student and I don't recall anyone else having this. It is not taught as emergency procedure at our DZ. I believe it is just an extra precaution on the student rigs. Witelli only found out about this after AFF while asking another experienced jumper "what are these extra cables comin off my reserve handle that noone else has"

There is no confusion, I always talk to my instructor about the gear that's how I found this out. Apparently I just learned everyone something, since noone has ever heard of this. Maybe your DZ could use this type of mechanism on their student rigs, it probably is there to assist AFF instructors in that if they have to pull a students reserve he can do it from either side. I would also think it helps if a student makes a mistake in his EP's. Anyway, knowing about this doesn't change what I was taught and what I was taught doesn't include anything about this. Always red then silver in a canopy mal, I know that and practice that. Sorry to have stirred you all up.

Sounds like an attempt at monkey-proofing. It's not an SOS system (which would entail one handle for cutaway and reserve deployment alike), I don't think I've ever seen such a device. Can you describe this cable... what did it look like and where was it routed on the rig?

Goose:

I just noticed part of a cable exposed from my left shoulder strap, and asked about it. That's the answer I got. I hope it's not something that someone at the DZ just rigged up. Since noone here has ever heard of that. I will ask what it's called and the specifics next time I go to the DZ.

You're making it sound like EP's change with the equipment.

They don't in the first instance.
However, should you find yourself under TWO open canopies it would be nice to know if you have a normal rig, if there is an RSL, how it is constructed and supposed to work, if you jump with an SOS-system and if so, what type, etcetera before you decide on a course of action.

Due to the limitations of the medium, all we can do here is confuse you - enlightenment is to be found at your own DZ with your instructor/rigger and one or more parachutes at hand... :)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

My two out happened secondary to pretty good line twists that twisted the risers and trapped the RSL line resulting in the RSL deploying the reserve.

Pretty rare coincidence, probably, but nevertheless sometimes shit happens;)

Thank you, this was exactly what I was looking for, the "Unobvious". Sorry if I screwed up by mentioning my student rig. I'm glad you're OK!!!