theplummeter

Post surgical wait time for jumping

I just got back from my annual physical and was told that I have to have surgery. I have a inguinal hernia that is strangulated and will likely have to have a bowel resection in addition to the standard plug or patch.

Has anyone here had that surgery, and how long did it take to get back in the air?

I waited six weeks after my ostomy takedown. In fact, I've waited six weeks for all of my surgeries. It all depends of what shape you were in prior to surgery. Belive me, your body will let you know if you're over doing it. Make sure you ease back into it though!! Blue skies!!

He had no estimate, just shook his head when I mentioned jumping and asked if I knew anyone else who jumped and had surgery.

I figured as much. Doctors are often reluctant to expressly "approve" of their patients' skydiving per se. So as often as not, asking one's doctor "Is it/ when will it be OK for me to skydive?" will get you a non-answer answer. I've had at least one doctor tell me point-blank, "I'm not going to tell you it's OK to skydive." To get around this common run-around, better to ask doc when you'll be fit to engage in athletic activities generally, and give him a few "conventional" examples: biking, running, golf, soccer, etc. Don't even mention skydiving at all. You'll probably get a more forthright answer, and then it will be up to you to extrapolate that answer to skydiving.

Ask him when you can go in airplanes also, both airliners and 'your buddies' light plane.

This was a FAA physical, so in addition to the skydiving stuff I will have to get approval from a Senior Aviation Medical Examiner to return to work.

I guess letting my sick days accrue without using one for the last twelve years might pay off.