isle

Jumping trip to USA (with only 2 jumps)?

I had a static line course a year ago (last course of the year, a month before the season ended) and I was only able to jump two times before the winter because either the weather was bad or the only plane (cessna 182) was on the maintenance. For few reasons I was unable to really start the sport this year and would have been able to jump only few jumps here and there, so I decided to not jump at all and wait for next year to get really going.

So I was thinking about going to USA (I'm European) to jump for a month or two before the next summer to get some jumps under my belt. Is it possible to continue the static line jumps there or would I need to go through another full course?

It depends on both the rules in your country (which you don't list) and the DZ you're going to.

Dutch rules say you can go 3 months without jumping before having to do at least a shortened ground course refresher. In your case there would be no doubt that over here you'd have to do the entire ground course again after just 2 jumps and ~1 yr.
I think in the USA you can't even go 3 months without jumping it's much less, so I would totally count on having to do the entire ground course again.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I'm from Finland and there's some kind of (free) "recap" thing for all students before they start a new season. My course cost 450€ so I'm not too excited to pay that kind of money again to get going, so maybe I should wait for the early summer or so when the dropzone opens here and do some jumps before thinking about going to states.

USPA currency rules for students are 30 days (but this does not always mean redoing the full ground course)

If you are planning on going to the US consider dong AFF as far more dz's offer AFF. If you go to a dz with a free bunkhouse (like Skydive the Farm in Georgia) the costs of AFF are offset by the lower living costs.

I have been told that it is best to get your A license, to minimise the impact of training cross-over.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I'm from Finland and there's some kind of (free) "recap" thing for all students before they start a new season. My course cost 450€ so I'm not too excited to pay that kind of money again to get going, so maybe I should wait for the early summer or so when the dropzone opens here and do some jumps before thinking about going to states.

I don't know which club it was but as far as I know most clubs won't charge you more then the membership fee for a year if you want to jump next year again.

If you go jump in states, most likely you'll be put through AFF and you'll have to pay the course fee + whatever it costs per jump.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

My course cost 450€ :o

Damn, that's expensive! Our dropzone's IAD First Jump Course is only $185 U.S., including the jump. Continuing jumps are just $65. Maybe you should come over here, make 23 jumps and go home with an A license. :)

Well that would be stupid and waste of money since I've already completed the static line course here. If I go to US, I would jump as much as possible for a month or two. But it seems that the smartest thing to do is to get the A licence here and then go over to the states to jump.

Well that would be stupid and waste of money since I've already completed the static line course here.

I don't know how much they want for each jump over there or if they'll make you retake their pre-jump training for a fee. You'll have to pencil it out yourself. It may or may not be cheaper to start over in the U.S.

It sure as hell would have been cheaper to start here in the first place. ;)

I don't know how much they want for each jump over there or if they'll make you retake their pre-jump training for a fee. You'll have to pencil it out yourself. It may or may not be cheaper to start over in the U.S.

Recap training is free. Jumps are 23-37$ for students.

It sure as hell would have been cheaper to start here in the first place. ;)

True that.