SCOTT735

AFF 1 instructor vs 2

I am looking for the best DZ to go through AFF training in mar or apr. I want it to be in (reasonable) driving distance from St Louis (<12hrs) and spend about a week there getting as far as I can (I can finish up at the DZ that's closer to my house).

I found a few that look good. Most seem to use two instructors for the first few jumps, but some just use one. Any comments about only 1 instructor for the first AFF jump?

So far I am thinking Skydive Chicago, or Skydive Spaceland.

My personal favorite is Chicagoland Skydiving Center in Rochelle Illinois - but I have worked as an instructor there. They use 2 instructors for the first three AFF levels, which I believe to be a better option. CSC is a much shorter drive than Spaceland, and infact they have a regular group of St Louis folks who make the trek most weekends.

I've done both 1 and 2 instructor AFF jumps, but have had enough challenging jumps to prefer having another instructor to help out if need be.

If the student does everything correctly, 1 instructor jumps are fine.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Single JM programs can function in that way because they utilize tandem training before the first AFF style jump. This allows the student to experience freefall a few times before having to cope with it on their own parachute, and it is a great method. I've been doing this for more than a decade now and it's my preferred method of training.

Should you choose to join us here at Spaceland, we'll make sure to get you not only through the AFF levels, but we take special attention on teaching basic skydiving skill, and work towards making you a proficient skydiver by the time you leave our program with your A license. :-)

See ya soon, the weather is great this week!
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Single JM programs can function in that way because they utilize tandem training before the first accompanied freefall ...

Some other DZs insist on students having a few minutes in a wind tunnel (and completing several targetted learning objectives) before jumping with one AFF instructor.
Similar concept, but different tools.

...the best DZ to go through AFF training in mar or apr....I am thinking Skydive Chicago

At that time of year! I don't think so.

edit - Chicago weather not so reliable that time of year.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am