Skydive2

Cessna 182 P

is anyone out there operating a '69-'76 C-182? I need some 337 info

I don't believe the C182P was even certified before '71, not that it helps any but may narrow your search.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I'm trying to find another 1975 P model jump plane so we can obtain some 337 info to help in our conversion

Just to let you know, it doesn't have to be a P model. It can be any 182, from A-Z.

Footnote: I know there are know Z models.;)

It can be any 182, from A-Z.

Really? I have a fleet of narrow body A models all with jump paper work. We were figuring it could be easier to use the "proven data" line when applying for the 337 using a similar year/model to the airplane I'm trying to convert? (there is a big difference structurally between an 'A' and 'P' model 182...

Lance

Lance;

Here is a link for the FAA Inspectors Handbook, Form 337 Field Approvals:

http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=E748AA8119D00C248525734F0076663A

Take a look at 4-1178, B) Data, 1 b), d); and C 6).

What the FAA doesn't someone taking a 337 for a 182 and thinking that they can put a swing up door on a U206.

Edited to add:
A 182A may be structurally different than a 182P, but this is just due to the wider body and higher gross weight. There should be no differentiation between sub-models. They are all on the same Type Certificate Data Sheet. A 182 door is a 182 door. Same with seatbelts and an air deflector.
If you are using the same type of installation method (ie, piano hinge) and same type of latch mechanism then the installs are similar.
You may have to develop an ICA though, if your 182A 337s are old and don't have one.
Just make sure, in the description section you make the statement; "This installation is similar to the installation previously approved on Form 337, for aircraft (the N number), dated (date written in Box 3 of previously approved 337).

He already has an STC for his current fleet, he needs to fill out and file a 337 for field install of the door, that requires a sign off on the paperwork by a FAA inspector from the FSDO.

Lance is trying to make sure all his I's are dotted and T's crossed so he can submit the paperwork to the FAA, after the work is done and paper work done by an A&P.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

He already has an STC for his current fleet, he needs to fill out and file a 337 for field install of the door, that requires a sign off on the paperwork by a FAA inspector from the FSDO.

Not sure if I follow you on this?
If he has a blanket STC for his fleet, then the FAA FSDO does not even have to be involved. The 337 gets filled out, sign by the A&P who did the install and sign by an IA, who inspected the work and approved for return to service. Then one copy is given to Lance and another gets mailed to Ok City.
The local FSDO is a part.

Can you clarify this please. Or Lance can answer also.

Dug out my log books to look for the STC for my 56 182 and what I found was that the door/step mod was done on a 337 field approval. I have an STC from uspa for the removal of the front and rear seat and baggage shelf, and installation of floor level seat belt brackets to accommodate four occupants in addition to the pilot. I'm not sure there ever was an stc for the door, at least I've never seen one. I have also heard the feds won't do a field approval for the door without "engineering data" from a desiginated engineer. Don't know if this is true or not.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

I have also heard the feds won't do a field approval for the door without "engineering data" from a desiginated engineer.

If the aircraft was never listed in the Appendix to AC105-2C, then this is true.
This appendix is what lists which aircraft are approved to operate with one door removed.
There is also the "Proof of Concept" that comes into play over time. If you are doing a mod to an aircraft that has been done to many others and approved it makes it difficult for the feds to reject the data.