skills4drills

Insurance in U.S for non-U.S citizens

Hey guys,
So Im off to chicago in April for 6 months of fun jumping. Its going to be awesome. Im from New Zealand and a non-U.S citizen.

So I have looked at a few options for full cover medical insurance because I know the U.S is the wrong place to have an accident without insurance.

Anyway I have looked at a few insurance companies about medical cover and it looks like its going to cost a bit, which i will pay either way.

But my question is ' has anyone got any good recommendations for an insurance company with a reasonable price?' or Has anyone delt with their insurance company over a medical issue while jumping in the U.S Pros/Cons?

So any feedback would be great and very helpful.
Cheers.

Do you have a NZ based skydiver forum to ask? Typically, this would fall under travel insurance. And those are normally offered only to resident of the origin's of travel. There are a few NZ jumper who post here, but, as you can imagine, not a ton of them (well, maybe if they are all fat, close to a ton;))

Make sure it covers any activity you plan on participating in.

Remster

Most Automobile Associations offer insurance very very minimal costs. In Canada CAA covers skydiving (or more specifically, it doesn't have an exclusion). Seems they specifically say "Parachuting" IS covered....

Check this out a bit more:
http://www.aa.co.nz/insurance/other-insurance/travel-insurance/

With our travel insurance cover help is just a phone call away when emergencies strike. That way you can get on with enjoying your trip, or at least have a safe return home.

-Unlimited medical cover
-Recreational sports covered free of charge: leisure skiing and snowboarding, scuba diving (with PADI or NAUI qualification), hot air ballooning, parachuting, parasailing and paragliding, bungy jumping and white-water rafting in grade four or less river.

"When once you have tasted flight..."

I'm off to the US for 2 months and have also been looking at insurance. I found that BUPA International looks like one of the better options. Sure, it's expensive, but it's a pretty big name in the world of healthcare, at least in the UK anyway. I'm a firm believer in that you get what you pay for, and I don't want to be screwed over by some small company that won't pay out if I'm stuck in the US with a big injury!

EDIT: It's ihi Bupa in Denmark that provide the cover... Link http://www.bupa-intl.com/for-you/travel

Chewy

I have spoken to BUPA in the UK and they exclude skydiving from their cover according to their call centre.

I am off to the USA in March so am looking as well.

[:/]

I think it specifically has to be the ihi Bupa Denmark, it says on their website that they include dangerous activities as standard and their terms state that they include skydiving. They quoted me something like £400 for 2 months in Perris later this year

http://global.ihi.com/travel%20insurance.aspx

We used IHI for a single-trip coverage for the Belize boogie 2 years ago; this year we bought full-year coverage because the price increase isn't much and allows us have coverage for other international trips (hmm... time to start planning). However, I think for the full-year coverage, no single trip within that period can be more than 1 month, so you will need to go with single trip for yours, for a trip period of six months.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke