obelixtim

Skydiving bullies. Put up your hand.

Well, I wasn't trying to do that; sorry for the misunderstanding. My point was simply I prefer to treat ALL students with respect. Just because they (students/newbs) will not change their nature doesn't necessitate me to change mine.

No probs......

I doubt if there are many instructors anywhere who would act the Sgt Major with students.

you would be VERY wrong then. Seen it 1st hand and dont visit that DZ anymore.

That wouldn't be because the Sgt Major marched you off would it?:)

I was not marched off Nige, I left,
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Know-it-alls, can't-tell-me-nothings and desperate for attention dipshits are everywhere these days. It's just what a lot of people have become in this generation.

It would be nice if people knew how to use proportionate force but that might be a daydream at best. I'm pretty sure the same people that like to disrespect new folks when they do something dumb instead of talking to them like a human being would get all kinds of butt hurt if a cop pulled them out of their car and put them in handcuffs if they did something stupid on the roads.

In other words it's all fine and good being a belligerent douchebag until the shoe is on the other foot. Then it was someone elses fault.

...Don't Get Elimated!!

Know-it-alls, can't-tell-me-nothings and desperate for attention dipshits are everywhere these days. It's just what a lot of people have become in this generation.

It would be nice if people knew how to use proportionate force but that might be a daydream at best. I'm pretty sure the same people that like to disrespect new folks when they do something dumb instead of talking to them like a human being would get all kinds of butt hurt if a cop pulled them out of their car and put them in handcuffs if they did something stupid on the roads.

In other words it's all fine and good being a belligerent douchebag until the shoe is on the other foot. Then it was someone elses fault.

Shut up n00b and stop acting like ya know it all...you keep posting stuff all thought out intelligently and logically stated like that and you'll start getting a reputation! ;)

But seriously though, you make a great point...

We all have egos and consider ourselves to be 'right' most of the time, that creates a problem when the guy who IS right tries to relate to the guy who just 'thinks' he's right, some constructive criticism.

I've been around the sport long enough to know that I make mistakes too, made plenty of them in the past.

I always had an ear for the person that would explain my error and offer advice, it would tend to go deaf when being verbally assaulted.

I may not always agree with the advice given but I'd respect the person talking to me like an adult enough to at least listen and give it some thought.

I try to do the same when 'giving' any criticism...Ask 'em why did you do that, give a few 'what if' scenarios and explain a better way...

A perfect example:
Some 25 year old 2000 jump wonder was screaming at the older gent next to me, "Hey fuckhead secure that helmet" as we were taking off once.

The guy next to me didn't understand and stared blankly as the 'kid' kept up the barrage.

I told him calmly to 'put his helmet on'
...then as we were climbing out I asked him if he'd even been in a fist fight. Remember what it's like to get punched in the head?

Kinda puts you in a daze for bit huh...

Ever been in one of these tin cans when things go south?

Well trust me, yer head is gonna bounce around more than a bimbos boobs in a french bikini...if your head bounces off something hard you might be too dazed to do what you'll need to do next to save your life.

I know it's hot & uncomfortable, but it's a good idea to stuff that bucket on your melon until you get the okay to take the seat belt off...;)

...a couple weeks later I was packing and the guy came over to me and thanked me for the advice saying he'd never thought about it that way, and he always wears his helmet during take off now.

I told him there are two thoughts on the subject, secure it on your chest strap and it protects others around you from the flying missile effect, secure it on your head and it does that AND protects YOUR head from other peoples missiles. :ph34r: Who can't pass up a 'two-fer'?

All that being said, yes there ARE those types that learn faster with a kind word and a 2x4 than with a kind word alone. We usually call 'em Swoopers or CReW Dogs. B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I definitely thought I was going to get attacked for my post then subsequently get pissed off and not know what to respond with... haha, but that kind of thing does happen and it's good if you can keep from getting into a pissing contest through the whole thing.

It's about getting through to people though. What you want to be first and foremost in the persons mind is how badly they could've messed up and not how badly they want to choke slam someone for yelling at them, disrespecting or embarrassing them.

Now days there is a LOT of attention to bullies, especially in schools around people of a very easily influenced age. I'm as much about being able to admit when you're wrong, learn from a mistake and even laugh at ones self when appropriate as the next guy but not everyone is there in life yet, to the point that they can swallow their pride and drive on.

I haven't been skydiving all that long but already I've seen way too many people that think that just because they CAN use the "you'll ******* die, or get someone else ******* killed" line, that they should use that as an excuse to yell at people in an unnecessarily brutal way. Even in the military, where it's probably more likely that you'll get killed or get someone else killed if you're not careful, people don't just go around jumping on the chance to light people up every single time there's half a reason to do so. Hopefully skydiving will evolve to that point someday too.

...Don't Get Elimated!!