NlghtJumper

Starting again...

I have a handful of jumps that I completed back in 2006. Due to my job, and starting a family, I have been away from the sport since. My wife however is dying to go jump so I am looking to send her on her first Tandem for Mothers Day. Thinking about all the fun I had on my jumps, I want to get a couple of my own jumps in if possible.

With how long long its been since my last jump, would it be fine to get a coach to jump with me, or should I consider recompleting AFF?

I'm in the same boat you are. I made 15 jumps 2 years ago... got cleared from AFF and had a couple solos. Didn't get to the dz for a weekend or two and ended up never getting around to going back.

Every sunny day since I've rued not getting my license and keeping with sport. At this point I assume redoing AFF is my only option but who knows... I haven't touched based with any instructors on that one yet.

Let me know how it works out for you...

With how long long its been since my last jump, would it be fine to get a coach to jump with me, or should I consider recompleting AFF?

Contact the dz you'll be jumping at - they are the ones who will decide what you get to do. If you don't have a license, they may want you to sit through an FJC and then do a Cat D or similar skydive.

I have a handful of jumps that I completed back in 2006. Due to my job, and starting a family, I have been away from the sport since. My wife however is dying to go jump so I am looking to send her on her first Tandem for Mothers Day. Thinking about all the fun I had on my jumps, I want to get a couple of my own jumps in if possible.

4.25 CURRENCY JUMPS

Experience shows that proficiency in any skill is in direct proportion to the frequency with which the skill is exercised. This is especially true with skills which require presence of mind, coordination, sharpness of reflexes, and control of emotions. The second jump of the day is always easier since anxiety is reduced—the jumper has already experienced one jump. Long lay-offs between jumps not only dull skills but heighten apprehensions. Because of this human characteristic, these procedures are presented to establish currency.

D. Students and Novices—AFF and Tandem/IAF:

1. Who have graduated from the AFF or Tandem/IAF program but have not yet obtained a USPA A license and have not jumped in the preceding 30 days should make at least one jump and demonstrate the ability to start and stop turns, maintain altitude awareness and the ability to maintain stability during deployment. This jump must be made under the direct supervision of a currently rated AFF JM.

depends on how many a "handful" is, if your talking 10, 20, 30 or so the smart thing would be to sit through an AFF course, thoroughtly review emergency procedures and jump with an instructor

you will be surprised how much you have forgotten, and the gear may have changed

if you don't plan to return to jumping then just make a tandem and tell them you have a few jumps and want to do turns, pull, etc.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Thank you everyone for your quick responses. I will talk to the DZ and work out what is best to move forward with and I will let you know how it turns out. Whether by tandem or by a coached jump, just getting out of the aircraft again is going to be amazing! I am so excited!

A man will do anything for the right woman,
and when that woman destroys him,
that man will become a hunk of meat with the common sense of a rodeo clown! ~ Christopher Titus

And what would the recommendation be for someone who had 600 or so jumps and has been out for 5 yrs?

Not saying I'm going back. Just wondering what the consensus here is..;)

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson