lookoutbelow

Should you steer the opening?

During one of my last openings, I felt the risers cross to the right. I was expecting it to go into twists, but it stopped at just a 90 and whipped me into position without further drama.

Is if it is a good idea or a bad idea to apply rear riser input in the opposite direction if I feel the risers start to cross like that again?

Is if it is a good idea or a bad idea to apply rear riser input in the opposite direction if I feel the risers start to cross like that again?

Bad idea. Possible problem areas are - accidentally garbbing and unstowing a toggle when trying for the rear riser, or, if they are corssed, you might grab and pull the wrong riser.

FYI - steering through an opening is a point of contention, as some jumpers say yes, and some jumpers say no. All of them are talking about 'steering' with harness input, no riser or toggle input. As canopy size goes down, the sensitiveity of the harness goes up. Where a student type canopy will barely move with harness input, my canopy will spiral at a good rate with nothing but harness input.

So at this point just leave it be. You should be jumping a canopy large enough and opening high enough that even if line twists develop, you can simply kick out of them.

Another scary scenario is you reach up to steer, the risers twist and your hand gets wrapped up in the twist.

That sounds like a fun situation to find yourself in. Maybe too fun.

Happened to a guy at my DZ years ago. Hand got stuck in the risers some how, he could not get it out, canopy started to spin, he gut away and luckily his hand was released.
Don't put your hands on your risers!
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

Dave, are you talking primarily about a line-twist situation? I was always taught this was the THE emergency procedure for canopy collision avoidance on opening, particularly on larger RW dives. I assume that's what you mean by the controversy behind the idea.

I'd just hate to think what I've been taught all these years is wrong. Flying a 170, I don't think harness input alone will help me avoid someone flying straight at me on opening.

Is there a better method?
PULL!! or DIE!!

My response was to a very new jumper asking about trying to steer the canopy out of line twists. In that case, it's ill advised to apply input to the canopy during the opening.

In regards to the contraversy, that was in reference to people simply trying to influence the heading on an otherwise 'normal' opening. Some say steer it, and some say leave it be.

As far as collision avoidance goes, yes, you should use whatever you need to avoid a collision. Even if you spin yourself in to unrecoverable line twists, I'd rather see you cutaway from that all by yourself than get into a wrap and have to deal with that along with a 'friend'.

My vote is no.

If the canopy goes left - go with it rather than fighting it. If your feet and knees are together, not only will you be symmetrical in the harness, but you will also spin quickly with the canopy should it turn. If you turn at the same rate as the canopy, then line twists cannot develop!

If your feet and knees are together, not only will you be symmetrical in the harness, but you will also spin quickly with the canopy should it turn.

I haven't really paid attention to my legs during the opening. I try to maintain good belly form after the toss, but once I start to get put into the harness, what happens just happens. Don't know if my legs are together or not. I'll try and make sure they are now.

Another scary scenario is you reach up to steer, the risers twist and your hand gets wrapped up in the twist.

That sounds like a fun situation to find yourself in. Maybe too fun.

Happened to a guy at my DZ years ago. Hand got stuck in the risers some how, he could not get it out, canopy started to spin, he gut away and luckily his hand was released.
Don't put your hands on your risers!

I had both hands stuck behind my neck during my first malfunction. Safire twisted up, I stuck my hands in to untwist but the twist kept going and grabbed my fingers+gloves. While spinning on my back with both hands trapped I remember thinking I was NOT gonna die that way, and managed to get my hands out after a while, by sheer force.

ciel bleu,
Saskia