skydivermom

Overcoming freefall anxiety on SL training

Kathleen,

I started jumping and did SL. Relax. It's just like a static line jump, only you have to pull this time. Pratice on ground till you can reach that handle every time.., then when you jump do a good arch and relax.. one thousand two thousand... take your time you got plenty of time to pull that handle. I've seen so many student try to get the handle pulled they break arch , spin etc

I agree it's normal be half excited about it.. but trust me.. nothing too it. YOU'll do Fine!

Will you be jumping with an instructor? I'm sorry - I'm really not familiar with the SL course. In AFF we do (all jumps from 12,000ft) a training tandem where we pull at approx 6500ft, then 3 jumps with 2 instructors that are both there with us until we pull, then 1 jump with 1 instrutor, then 4 jumps where we have an instructor with us but not holding on, then a hop n pop from 3500ft.
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

No, I'm not technically an S/L student, I'm a IAD student, in sweden they're the same, only that the deployment method varies in the first 6 jumps.

Either you're connected to the aircraft or an instructor holds your pilot chute, the end results are the same.

If I weren't alone when I jumped I believe it would be easier, but that's not how it's supposed to be done, and with a 5 second delay I don't think it would mkae any difference.

That's why I'm thinking about converting to AFF next season even though it would cost me alot extra.

Or perhaps I should buy just an AFF lesson justto experience freefall

No, I'm not technically an S/L student, I'm a IAD student, in sweden they're the same, only that the deployment method varies in the first 6 jumps.

Either you're connected to the aircraft or an instructor holds your pilot chute, the end results are the same.

If I weren't alone when I jumped I believe it would be easier, but that's not how it's supposed to be done, and with a 5 second delay I don't think it would mkae any difference.

That's why I'm thinking about converting to AFF next season even though it would cost me alot extra.

Or perhaps I should buy just an AFF lesson justto experience freefall

Or perhaps a tandem is an option? Usually cheaper than an AFF skydive if money is an issue. I do not have a lot of money myself but I never have skimped when it comes to skydiving, afterall, we are jumping out of airplanes...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I think you SL students probably work out better when you actually pass your course - Most of my jumps have been AFF course or B Licence so now when I do a solo I'm still a little nervous. There isn't anyone else in sight! I'm not worried about stability or anything it just feels strange to be completely by yourself! =)
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

the fact you exit the plane by yourself all the time shoudl immediately give you confidence!!!:)
People are always are afraid of the unexpected,m once youve mastered freefall, you wil be fine, and my Jm told me the canopy handling is by far the more challenging, so if youve mastered that, you are sorted!!

I was told my first one would be a 20 sec. delay. YIKES!

I'm going to go out on a limb and BEG Jeff (one of the JMs) to jump with me. I think I would feel better if someone were at least out there with me. I am getting really excited about the whole thing though.

Most SL programs have the first freefall jump be a "clear and pull", or "hop and pop" for slang, not to exceed five seconds. It would not be very safe for an instructor to hold onto you for that. In event of a funneled exit, you would either pull right away, endangering both of you, or wait longer than you should to pull. Neither are good.

I know you can pull that ripcord, or at least the reserve.B| So don't worry. Biggest mistake on the first freefalls I've seen? People get so amped up about pulling that they forget to arch properly. Maybe 1 in 3 seems to do a decent first freefall. Now go out here and show me how it's done. :)

sorry I'm so long in replying. Haven't checked this thread in a while. I'm glad I did though because my first freefall is tomorrow!

No one will be exiting the plane with me. I climb out and hang all by myself. I think that is what is freaking me out. I went really unstable on my first AFF jump and was grateful someone was there to pull for me.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

Wow, I feel a whole lot better now! I didn't realize the canopy and landing were the hardest parts. DUH! Yes, I've still got much to learn about canopy flying and landing, but I feel much more confident about them.

This last weekend I watched my friend pass her AFF level 7 at SSM and it made me really want to get out there and freefall. I just hope that's how I feel tomorrow when I have to do it.
Mrs. WaltAppel

Yes, it will be a 5 sec. delay. I guess I wasn't thinking of the first "live pull" as a freefall. Of course, what else would it be? Actually, I'm more excited about it than I've ever been. Of course I'm still a little nervous but I know the only thing I can do is just go for it. I just hope that the more freefalling I do, the more excited I will become. I've been hearing all of you say "RELAX AND HAVE FUN". I plan on smiling all the way in the plane tomorrow, hopefully that will help. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for all the wonderful words:)
Mrs. WaltAppel

Man, I can't even put it into words. Something amazing happened that day. I just got out there and had a blast. I did one more jump with the static line and then did my "live pull". Both jumps ended with stand-up landings, which I've heard are overrated, but I loved them. My instructor ran up to me after both jumps and hugged me and told me he was proud of me. It was one of the best days I've ever had. I remember thinking "so this is what it's supposed to feel like!"

I'm still thousands of feet above the ground:D
Mrs. WaltAppel

Glad to hear they both came off so well! And a big thumbs up on the stand-up landings! (I still haven't got the hang of it [:/] I've got about 4 stand up landings out of 25 jumps!).

When do you jump again? I take it the nerves have gone now? ;)