Namowal

Preventing/fixing tangled canopy lines when you pull down one toggle....

Normally I have no problem neatly gathering up my canopy, but sometimes this scenario occurs:

1. I don't have a stand-up landing
2. Before I'm on my feet , the canopy (220) inflates and drags me*.
3. I one toggle way down, to stop it**

Pulling down the toggle stops the dragging, but it seems to result in a mess of lines that's hard to gather and a hassle to untangle. Until I learn to do reliable standup landings, it's going to be a problem. Anything I can do to prevent the mess? Or at least fix it before I hand it off to the packers?

*I avoid jumping when it's gusty, but I don't weigh much and it doesn't take much wind to take me for a drag...
**I've also heard the "pull down the toggle to stop being dragged" is a no-no (though the SIM seems okay with it,) but it works.
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

**I've also heard the "pull down the toggle to stop being dragged" is a no-no

It's not so much that it's a no-no, but its only the 1st part of what you should do.

Pulling 1 toggle down will make the canopy turn into to ground. If you keep that toggle pulled and tension on the lines, the canopy will then want to start pulling at you (notice how kits fly better when there is tension on it's line?).

So, you pulled a toggle, brought the canopy down.. What now? Walk towards your canopy; it may pull away from you, but unless the winds are very strong, you'll win. The pilot chute and its bridle will lay on the ground, between you and the canopy at some point (which will be after just a couple steps). Step on it, and keep walking to the canopy. The lines will slacken, and you'll have it under control.
Remster

*I avoid jumping when it's gusty, but I don't weigh much and it doesn't take much wind to take me for a drag...

On the one hand, if it's windy enough to drag you on the ground, maybe it's really is too windy to be jumping?

**I've also heard the "pull down the toggle to stop being dragged" is a no-no (though the SIM seems okay with it,) but it works.

I have never heard this. Pulling one steering line will work well and it has nothing to do with entangling lines. Indeed, many schools teach this to deflate a canopy that is dragging you.

Alternatives:
-You can disconnect the RSL and then cutaway the main after you land.

-If you know, or have a good clue that you will be getting dragged on the ground (or off a building), you can disconnect the RSL under canopy before you land (after you come below an altitude where you won't be needing it, of course) and then cutaway the main after you land. That works well too.

Getting dragged is a drag. Untangling lines is less of a problem. There was an incident in the not-too-distant past where someone was getting dragged and knocked her head on something on the ground....didn't turn out so well for her.
[:/]

Lines get tangled when you step, or roll, or get dragged, over them and then pick up the canopy.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I suggest (unless it's physically difficult for some reason) to not 'hand it off to the packers'. Pack for yourself. You'll learn real quick what's going on with your lines (because you'll have to fix it).

I suggest (unless it's physically difficult for some reason) to not 'hand it off to the packers'. Pack for yourself. You'll learn real quick what's going on with your lines (because you'll have to fix it).

... or you'll get really good at landing the reserve! :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Pulling down one toggle is a good method. Once the canopy is deflated and down, walk towards it and behind it. If the wind tries to blow it up again it can't drag you - might just "swirl" around your legs. Then pull the steering line back (so that the toggle doesn't dangle.) Grab the lines in a symmetrical way and lift them gently (right hand) and allow the slider to slide down, grab the lines a little deeper (with left hand) lift them a grab them with right hand, repeat this until the slider is down to the canopy. Sometimes the slider isn't willing to slide down the lines (usually because they are "crossed" due to the canopy turning when deflating), then just shake the lines (not too vigorously) up & down until they clear. I do this with both my sports canopy and my tandem canopy. Might take a little more time but this way you collect it cleanly, can drop it in the hangar (or at the packing area) and start packing, heh heh. :P

And heck yes, start packing on your own. Show up at the DZ on a windy/rainy day, approach an old fart or an instructor (or an old-fart instructor like me) and tell them you'd like to learn proper packing. You are a girl, so this wish shouldn't be denied. ;) You might be close to tears when you will be told to pack the bl**dy thing the sixth time (happened to me, with a relatively new 210 PD in 2002) but after that: Beer4All B| and you will be able to pack, your muscle-memory etc pp will have kicked in by then ;)

As far as I made out from photos you should be a feather-weight so it might be worth a try to ask instructors around if a 190ish canopy is sufficient enough for you? Doesn't make too much a difference re your wingload and the docility of the canopy but makes quite a difference when it comes to packing, at least when doing it pro-pack style. Just an idea...

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Realistically, it's one of those things that's kinda difficult to explain or learn by reading.

Get an instructor/rigger/experienced jumper to show you. All you need is an unpacked rig and about 30 seconds of practice.

(a beer wouldn't hurt though :P)

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Pulling down the toggle stops the dragging, but it seems to result in a mess of lines that's hard to gather and a hassle to untangle.

Once you've stopped being dragged and are back on your feet, walk around in an arc until you are downwind from the parachute. Then back up to pull all the lines taut once again, including that brake line you reeled in. The parachute won't reinflate this way, and you'll have all the lines back straight. Then gather them up as normal.