scottd818

How long r your openings??

How Long is too long?? Another thread has been hijacked talking about this subject so i thought it deserved its own thread. I said that i get consistant 600-900 openings. The majority of the time they r right about 600. With the occasional one that takes longer than that but never more than 900. And i started pumping the rear risers and the slider dropped down the rest of the way. I jump a pilot 210 i bought brand new and i now have about 35 jumps on it. So my data size is still very small. i pro pack and get on heading opening about 90% of the time and have yet to have a hard opening with it. Before i got the pilot i was jumping a demo Sabre 2 210 and them opening were faster and almost always off heading. and i got one hard opening with it but i only had about 10 jumps on it. I am still very new to the sport so im curious to hear what other ppls experiences have been. thanks blue skies

Amore important question is which precision instrument are you using to determine your number(s) and what is you criteria for the starting and ending points ?

I am betting that statistically speaking the validity (consistency) of the data in this thread is pretty much useless.

Interesting point. I jump a neptune and I watch the altitude as my canopy inflates. The altitude I'm checking in real time doesn't always jive with the deployed altitude in the jump log function.

According to my Neptune, I'm usually in the saddle around 1000 feet lower than when I wave off. So I'd guesstimate 750-1000 feet maybe

How is that possible? If you wave off at 'X' altitude, and then have 1000ft opening, then it would be the altitude you burned waving off + 1000ft showing on your Neptune.

You're doing something like 150/160 feet per second at terminal (conservatively). So if you take 2 seconds to wave off, you'll burn through 300 ft right there. If you're seeing 1000ft lower, that's a 700ft opening. If you're seeing 750 ft, that's a 450ft opening.

A 1000ft opening is very, very slow, and very long for an opening. It's abnormal, and as mentioned above, much more scientific or standardized means of measurement is needed to make this thread worthwhile.

Amore important question is which precision instrument are you using to determine your number(s) and what is you criteria for the starting and ending points ?

I am betting that statistically speaking the validity (consistency) of the data in this thread is pretty much useless.

varies 500-800' - based on observed height on Altimeter at waveoff (as recorded by GoPro) and in the saddle height as recorded by Altitrack and GoPro
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

It takes about 5 seconds to fall 1000 feet in freefall. How long do you think it will take to travel 1000 feet during deployment of a canopy? Maybe 8 to 10 seconds? Think about that for a minute.

1 thousand 1, 1 thousand 2, 1 thousand 3………I don't think so.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

warning right off the bat: the audio in the linked videos is a bit loud.

Okay for reference, because I'm the one who hijacked the other thread, here's a velocity 90 (with a little coaxing to the right to keep it on heading) taking a little less than 500 ft to open...

http://media.chaz720.net/videos/velo.mov

...and here is the katana 107 opening I referenced in the other thread where a tension knot hung up the slider on the left side and the canopy still didn't take 1000 ft to open...

http://media.chaz720.net/videos/snivel.mov

So for those of you saying you regularly have 800, 900, 1000+ ft openings, I want to believe you, but either whatever you're using as a reference is whack, or your canopy is a complete waste of altitude.

>I wave off at 3500 and pull about 3000, I look at my altimeter right when
>slider goes down and it's showing around 2000, So I voted 900+

Most people who "pull at 3000" actually let go of their PC at around 2500. So that's around a 400-500 foot opening which is pretty soft (providing it's a well staged opening.)

warning right off the bat: the audio in the linked videos is a bit loud.

Okay for reference, because I'm the one who hijacked the other thread, here's a velocity 90 (with a little coaxing to the right to keep it on heading) taking a little less than 500 ft to open...

http://media.chaz720.net/videos/velo.mov

...and here is the katana 107 opening I referenced in the other thread where a tension knot hung up the slider on the left side and the canopy still didn't take 1000 ft to open...

http://media.chaz720.net/videos/snivel.mov

So for those of you saying you regularly have 800, 900, 1000+ ft openings, I want to believe you, but either whatever you're using as a reference is whack, or your canopy is a complete waste of altitude.

I was waiting for you to chime in since i created this thread because of you. HAHA

According to my Neptune, I'm usually in the saddle around 1000 feet lower than when I wave off. So I'd guesstimate 750-1000 feet maybe

How is that possible? If you wave off at 'X' altitude, and then have 1000ft opening, then it would be the altitude you burned waving off + 1000ft showing on your Neptune.

You're doing something like 150/160 feet per second at terminal (conservatively). So if you take 2 seconds to wave off, you'll burn through 300 ft right there. If you're seeing 1000ft lower, that's a 700ft opening. If you're seeing 750 ft, that's a 450ft opening.

A 1000ft opening is very, very slow, and very long for an opening. It's abnormal, and as mentioned above, much more scientific or standardized means of measurement is needed to make this thread worthwhile.

Sorry, Neptune's all I got and it doesn't tell me when the parachute starts to deploy. It also clocks my average fall speed on my average freefall at around 140 mph. My instructors verify that they've seen me falling that fast or faster (I've had a couple say 170, still not sure if I believe that.)

I could always check the Neptune again right before I pull and right after the parachute deploys and that might shave a few hundred feet off my estimate. Hmm, and they ARE open tomorrow... Yes... I MUST jump... FOR SCIENCE!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I agree with you. Using graphs downloaded from a reliable instrument is the best. But you have to use a reasonnable sample. For my former Sabre 2-170 and my Katana 170 I downloaded 10 consecutive jump graphs from my Vigil using an interface. Sabre 2-170 was deploying on an average of 340 ft while my Katana 170 was deploying on an average of 600 ft.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.