Shredex

Stuffy/Runny/Clogged Nose + Skydiving

So, I found out on my last jump that jumping with a runny nose is a huge no no.

But, I got to wondering...Can you just pop your ears during freefall to prevent the giant explosion of pain?
Like, I dry swallow during the ride up to equalize my ears, could this be done during freefall?

I ask because my nose didn't start running till we were at altitude and the door opened ready for exit...my left nostril just starting running out of no where... If this happens again I don't want to have to ride the plane down...(I've never landed in a plane before and don't ever want to have too.)

If you're having sinus problems unrelated to a cold you need to seek actual medical advise from your health-care professional and address the cause, not be looking for mid-air band-aid fixes.

You are risking serious and long term complications bringing a head with you in free-fall that isn't pressurizing properly.

If you're having sinus problems because of a cold, you need to stay on the ground until it's no longer an issue...again, risking serious damage not only your ears but also your nose.

As in ya deserve a poke in the snot locker for being so inconsiderate of your fellow jumpers as to breathin' cold bugs on 'em in a tight aircraft cabin for 1/2 an hour at a time, several times a day. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yadda Yadda not a doctor yadda yadda

<_<

>_>

You can still get Primatine tablets over the counter, and they seem remarkably good at clearing out your sinuses, despite the warning about being for asthma only. Assuming you're not too picky about running the risk of having a stroke. Just sayin'... If I were giving medical advice, this would be HORRIBLE advice which you should COMPLETELY IGNORE. Yup.

I imagine you COULD clear your ears in freefall. I don't know if I've ever done it. I picked up the habit of doing it instinctively while snorkling in Hawaii as a boy. I don't swallow or anything, I just kind of hold my breath and force the pressure to equalize. I can't quite figure out what I'm doing in my sinuses to make that happen, but I can't do it without holding my breath. I think I'm making part of the motion of a swallow without actually swallowing.

Lucky you, I've had to land twice now. First time we were at 5000 feet, a hop and pop just jumped out and the wind gusted to 30 mph. The pilot turned us around and landed. Apparently the hop and pop had a rather... exciting... landing. The second time I was at 9K feet on my own pack job for my A license requirements and the wind gusted to 30 mph, and stayed that way for the rest of the day. So the packers had to unpack and repack my parachute, and I had to pack another one the next day!

Both times I kind of dodged a bullet and was told by the people who did jump that I really didn't want to land in those conditions, so I don't mind so much.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I'm a wood worker and there is always tons of saw dust floating around the shop that will clog up my nose.

I'd never jump with a cold....I'm a little more considerate then that. When my nose started running out of nowhere, I mean I was feeling 100% great on the second jump of the day and it literally just started running as soon as the door opened up.

Actually, now that I think of it...After coming from from the DZ a few weeks ago I had a runny nose that lasted for a week after getting back...And the same thing happened last time as well. So I wonder if jumping is causing it?

I used to do a fair amount of woodworking in my garage and would get some of the same symptoms. Sudafed works well to open up and drain clog sinuses. It's also non drowsy so it's FAA approved while performing airman duties, so I figure it's okay to jump while using it.

If your sinuses are really bad, stay on the ground. You can mess your head up with the rapid pressure changes of freefall if you can't clear your ears.

When mine happened...
I pulled at 5K cause I was doing a tracking jump and was a good ways out. I noticed that my ears felt full of pressure, so I grabbed my nose and blew...
Man, I had no idea that ears themselves could make sounds...Mine sounded like a 120psi compressor releasing air. Ears hurt really bad for a few seconds but went away. Could hear fine. Didn't notice anything else except for random slight pinching pain in the right ear this past week. Gonna skip this weekend. Been taking ear drop antibiotics, I'll do a couple hop-n-pops next week and hopefully I'll be ready by then.

When mine happened...
I pulled at 5K cause I was doing a tracking jump and was a good ways out. I noticed that my ears felt full of pressure, so I grabbed my nose and blew...
Man, I had no idea that ears themselves could make sounds...Mine sounded like a 120psi compressor releasing air. Ears hurt really bad for a few seconds but went away. Could hear fine. Didn't notice anything else except for random slight pinching pain in the right ear this past week. Gonna skip this weekend. Been taking ear drop antibiotics, I'll do a couple hop-n-pops next week and hopefully I'll be ready by then.

A couple hundred years ago I blew out an ear drum SCUBA diving.

Doc said 50/50 it would heal without surgery...it did but doesn't equalize very well if I have ANY sinus problems.

And yeah I know exactly what you mean with hearing the air compressor squeal! Doesn't feel too good either!!

That's why I recommend layin' off if you have a cold, seeing someone if it's something else...not worth the risk of long term damage.

...and as John said, I too have used sudafed AND Afrin in a pinch, like when in competition or demos when it was a payin' gig and had to go.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

DISCLAIMER: This is my personal experience. This is in no way, shape or form medical advice. Doing what I did, after being told not to is idiotic.

I've had the "slightly runny nose in the plane" before. Usually after several jumps in the same day. I've just had a bit of a drip, that caused no problems on the way down. My ears equallized just fine under canopy and on the ground.

I had one that turned out to be a bloody nose, not just a runny nose. It blew all over my face and neck in freefall (oddly enough it didn't get on my goggles) and was asked by rather shocked spectators "what happened" when I got on the ground. My only guess was that the dry air, changes in pressure and everything else that we do on a normal jump simply abused the inside of my nose to the point that it bled.
I sat down after that (it was fairly late on a Sunday so I didn't miss more than one jump) and was fine.

I mad the very foolish mistake of jumping while at the end of a headcold. My nose was running just a little and I only felt a little bit congested.

Big mistake. I felt the pressure building in freefall, but though my helmet was pushing my goggles onto my face and didn't worry about it. By the time I opened, I realized what was going on, mainly because I was reaching up. trying to pull the icepick that had been stabbed between my eyes. Major pain. My eyes were watering badly enough that I had trouble seeing to land. It took a long time to get my ears to equalize (and yes, the 120psi sound was there at times) and I feel lucky that I didn't have any real damage. No affect to hearing or to how my ears equallize now.

I have the beginnings of a cold today, and even though my nose is dripping just a little and I'm only a little bit congested, I'm sitting on the ground.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo