RBromley

wings closing flap

I just recieved my brand new wings and when the main is packed in (its the correct size and fits fine) the main flap is really off center, it wants to go to the right quite a bit if i just lay it flush against the mudflap. is this a normal thing with wings containers or is mine faulty.

BTW i close the flaps BTRL

and also the flap seems about 2 inches short, has anybody sent theirs back to get the flag leghtned

I just recieved my brand new wings and when the main is packed in (its the correct size and fits fine) the main flap is really off center, it wants to go to the right quite a bit if i just lay it flush against the mudflap. is this a normal thing with wings containers or is mine faulty.

BTW i close the flaps BTRL

and also the flap seems about 2 inches short, has anybody sent theirs back to get the flag leghtned

Can you post some pictures? Preferably of the rig closed, the length of the closing loop and the size of canopy/container you got?

ETA: I'm willing to bet it's just an excessively long main closing loop. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

had the same thing happen on my old icon, its your closing loop length shorten it up and it should fix it. the pin cover looks to be off center because when you pull the right flap shut it pulls the center grommet over to the right. then you close the left and it stays over to the right and just pulls the right flap towards the middle.
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

ETA: I'm willing to bet it's just an excessively long main closing loop. ;)

the length of the loop when th erig is shipped by the manufacturer is NOT the length that the loop "should be" when functional. Loop length needs to be adjusted :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Do not, under any circumstance, solicit or listen to advice on the internet. Ever. Period. End of discussion.
The internet is for:
1) Pr0n
2) Videos of pets
3) Stalking you ex on facebook
4) Buying stuff you don't need with money you don't have
5) Unleashing an all caps rant about how much you hate/love a TV show (or celebrity or band...)
6) Finding random occurrences on Google StreetView
7) Searching for obscure facts to win an argument, on principle.
8) Trolling other users' posts on forums and hijacking the thread (kind of like this post)
9) More pr0n

As it relates to skydiving:
1) Find out about or organize events
2) Organize carpool to boogies
3) Market "awesome" videos
4) Wild speculations about incidents
5) Wingsuit brand wars
6) NSFW threads
7) Pictures/Videos/Announcements about skydiving related stuff that the general media misses or gets wrong or covers superficially.
8) Get ideas and advice from people who you already know and are qualified to answer them.
9) DB Cooper stuff
The list goes on, but nowhere on that list will you find an entry that says " Solicit advice from random people about how to do something that could potentially kill me"

All questions of that nature should be directed to: Instructor, rigger, DZO, S&TA. Or someone who has any authority and could get in trouble for giving you the wrong advice.

If I was a moderator here, This thread goes directly to "gear and rigging" with a stern warning that anyone who answers this had better be a rigger verified by a moderator. I err on the side of caution.
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

Except that everyone who answered his question was probably right.

Do not, under any circumstance, solicit or listen to advice on the internet. Ever. Period. End of discussion.
The internet is for:
1) Pr0n
2) Videos of pets
3) Stalking you ex on facebook
4) Buying stuff you don't need with money you don't have
5) Unleashing an all caps rant about how much you hate/love a TV show (or celebrity or band...)
6) Finding random occurrences on Google StreetView
7) Searching for obscure facts to win an argument, on principle.
8) Trolling other users' posts on forums and hijacking the thread (kind of like this post)
9) More pr0n

As it relates to skydiving:
1) Find out about or organize events
2) Organize carpool to boogies
3) Market "awesome" videos
4) Wild speculations about incidents
5) Wingsuit brand wars
6) NSFW threads
7) Pictures/Videos/Announcements about skydiving related stuff that the general media misses or gets wrong or covers superficially.
8) Get ideas and advice from people who you already know and are qualified to answer them.
9) DB Cooper stuff
The list goes on, but nowhere on that list will you find an entry that says " Solicit advice from random people about how to do something that could potentially kill me"

All questions of that nature should be directed to: Instructor, rigger, DZO, S&TA. Or someone who has any authority and could get in trouble for giving you the wrong advice.

If I was a moderator here, This thread goes directly to "gear and rigging" with a stern warning that anyone who answers this had better be a rigger verified by a moderator. I err on the side of caution.

All questions of that nature should be directed to: Instructor, rigger, DZO, S&TA.

Well, I am an instructor and a rigger. 2 out of those 4 ain't too shabby.

Or someone who has any authority and could get in trouble for giving you the wrong advice.

Believe it or not, that ain't gonna happen. You think the guy that told the last DGIT he was good enough to downsize to that handkerchief that he killed himself under is in any 'trouble'? Ha!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

anyone who answers this had better be a rigger

well 2 riggers did answer to the thread (and you are not part of them) :D

Maybe it's one of those new 'insider' Wings rigs. :D:D:D

All questions of that nature should be directed to: Instructor, rigger, DZO, S&TA.

Well, I am an instructor and a rigger. 2 out of those 4 ain't too shabby.

I believe you, but he doesn't know you.

Or someone who has any authority and could get in trouble for giving you the wrong advice.

Believe it or not, that ain't gonna happen. You think the guy that told the last DGIT he was good enough to downsize to that handkerchief that he killed himself under is in any 'trouble'? Ha!

I apologize,
There really is no need for snarkiness here.
What I should have said was
- In my most humble opinion, without trying to start a flame war, this thread should be moved to the "gear and rigging" forum because it looks to me like an important issue that should be answered by people qualified to do so and that we could all benefit from it.
- This issue has been discussed about several rigs in the past and a bit of searching could yield some information.
- There is no way for a regular user to know if the person answering them is qualified to do so.
- The DZO or instructor who told a DGIT to go ahead and jump a small canopy...should they get in trouble? Its a good question. I don't know.
- I would like to see threads called "ask a rigger" or "ask and instructor" or "ask a dzo" where the only people allowed to post are verified riggers, instructors or DZOs. If Bill Booth post something about a rig, it's probably right on the money. Same with TK Hayes about running a DZ.

Sorry if I offended.
Only dangerous divers

Neither do you. :P

- In my most humble opinion, without trying to start a flame war, this thread should be moved to the "gear and rigging" forum because it looks to me like an important issue that should be answered by people qualified to do so and that we could all benefit from it.

Two riggers that are more than qualified to answer the question did before you posted your reply.;)

- There is no way for a regular user to know if the person answering them is qualified to do so.

It's pretty easy to see that I am a rigger, though if you don't believe it... Ya could ask! :P

- I would like to see threads called "ask a rigger" or "ask and instructor" or "ask a dzo" where the only people allowed to post are verified riggers, instructors or DZOs.

Not likely to happen in an open forum. Even then many of the questions could very easily be answered by a lot of experienced jumpers (who aren't riggers, instructors, DZOs and S&TAs).

Two riggers that are more than qualified to answer the question did before you posted your reply.;)

It's pretty easy to see that I am a rigger, though if you don't believe it... Ya could ask! :P

Having a rigger rating does not actually mean shit. many people have a rigger rating there who i would not give my rig to...and in other countries (my included) your senior rigger rating is only a packer rating.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Having a rigger rating does not actually mean shit. many people have a rigger rating there who i would not give my rig to...and in other countries (my included) your senior rigger rating is only a packer rating.

Well, that's good for them. The OP and I are both in the US... but thanks for letting us know how it is down under.

I know you're a tad pissed off at me because of the Y-mod thing, but this really isn't the way to show it. :)

Nice to meet ya. I have foot in mouth disease, it is not contagious.
You are probably qualified to answer any question here, that is not up for dispute.
I have no problem with the answer, rather the question, it's location, and the OP's lack of research and understanding that they should not solicit advice here. Anywhere else but here.

- I would like to see threads called "ask a rigger" or "ask and instructor" or "ask a dzo" where the only people allowed to post are verified riggers, instructors or DZOs.

Not likely to happen in an open forum. Even then many of the questions could very easily be answered by a lot of experienced jumpers (who aren't riggers, instructors, DZOs and S&TAs).

Agreed. Many of the questions could be answered by anyone. Moderators can lock threads, make them sticky, delete posts and so on. What is preventing the "gear and rigging" moderator from transporting this thread, then deleting the stupid my posts and leaving only the posts from users that the moderator has verified are qualified to answer.

It is my opinion that you two did a great job in answering but, OP should have searched and would have found this, should have posted to "Gear and Rigging", called DZ rigger, asked at DZ... anything but here.
Only dangerous divers

Squeak, you are painting a lot of people with a broad brush. I for one resent it.[:/]>:(

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Squeak, you are painting a lot of people with a broad brush. I for one resent it.[:/]>:(

Sparky

No need to Mike, it was not meant as a slur, the Senior rigger rating you guys use is our Packer A rating here.
My point (which Rob took personally) although it was not intended for anyone in particular, is that saying you are a rigger on a forum doesn't really mean that much to people who don't know you.
I have met some very good riggers and some very average riggers. and like most things on the internet the advice you get here is worth every cent you paid for it.

As to Rob's assertion that i am pissy at him re the Y mod, you could not be further from the truth, I don't give a toss either way:ph34r::ph34r:. In fact i had forgotten about it totally until you mentioned it.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

[ the Senior rigger rating you guys use is our Packer A rating here.

could you post what a Packer A is authorised to do ?

i probably could but so can you;)
apf.asn.au
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

apf.asn.au
I think you are very wrong about your idea of a FAA Senior Rigger rating

17.5.1 Packer ‘B’ Privileges
The privileges of Packer ‘B’ are to inspect, pack and carry out Daily Maintenance on main parachutes with which the Packer ‘B’ is familiar.
17.5.2 Packer ‘A’ Privileges
The privileges of a Packer ‘A’ are to:
(a) Exercise all the privileges of a Packer ‘B’; and
(b) Inspect, pack, certify as airworthy and carry out Daily Maintenance on reserve and emergency parachutes with which the Packer ‘A’ is familiar

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

apf.asn.au
I think you are very wrong about your idea of a FAA Senior Rigger rating

17.5.1 Packer ‘B’ Privileges
The privileges of Packer ‘B’ are to inspect, pack and carry out Daily Maintenance on main parachutes with which the Packer ‘B’ is familiar.
17.5.2 Packer ‘A’ Privileges
The privileges of a Packer ‘A’ are to:
(a) Exercise all the privileges of a Packer ‘B’; and
(b) Inspect, pack, certify as airworthy and carry out Daily Maintenance on reserve and emergency parachutes with which the Packer ‘A’ is familiar

what can a senior rigger do that a Packer A cant?
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

No need to Mike, it was not meant as a slur, the Senior rigger rating you guys use is our Packer A rating here.

Wow, really?

So your Packer A's have to be ready to demonstrate setting up a sewing machine and sewing a French fell seam? Replacing lines? Sewing a properly folded patch on a canopy in an area that includes a seam?

If so, you've got damn impressive Packers there.

(I'm not really familiar with the FAA practical test standards, but I think I interpreted them correctly here, for the parts that apply to Senior riggers.)

what can a senior rigger do that a Packer A cant?

for example minor repairs to harness/container/canopies, assemble a complete rig...

not sure about h&c but canopy repairs and lines and assembles yes. Ill check with my rigger in the AM re H&C minor repairs
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?