nabil

A new comer in skydive software !

Hello everyone,

Let me introduce you "Skyproc", a brand new open source skydive software that will be launched in November 2012.

Read more at:
http://github.com/skygeek/skyproc#welcome

And stay tunned for updates on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/skyproc

It doesn't advertise well that you're selling computer software, and don't even know how to make a clicky-link to your web references...

And you also get negative scores for using language like "create an abstract component to modelize the regulation mode...l" that nobody can understand.

With the database stored on the internet instead of the source computer, what's to keep competitors from hacking into your database to find out who your customers are and what level of business you're doing?

It doesn't advertise well that you're selling computer software, and don't even know how to make a clicky-link to your web references...

And you also get negative scores for using language like "create an abstract component to modelize the regulation mode...l" that nobody can understand.

With the database stored on the internet instead of the source computer, what's to keep competitors from hacking into your database to find out who your customers are and what level of business you're doing?

Not to mention it took 'em THREE edits to get that message posted...:ph34r:

Just somebody tryin' to sell a bunch of 1's & 0's that I don't need. . . ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm going to guess that English is not his first language so there may be things just lost in translation.

Either way, it's not entirely clear what you're trying to do with this piece of software. It would help if you could explain to us what need you're filling and why we should be interested in your software over what's currently being offered.

It doesn't advertise well that you're selling computer software,

"open source" means free like air.

and don't even know how to make a clicky-link to your web references...

writing software is a different skill set than learning proprietary web forum markup.

if the software guys had to pay marketing guys to translate it into language people could understand it wouldn't be free.

So no advertising will be sold on the site...no 'selling' of user lists?

Free to 'me', doesn't mean 'no profit/free' in most all cases.

I find it hard to believe that someone would create a software package out of the goodness of their heart just to make my day better. ;)

What exactly does it do, what benefit is it to me and what benefit to 'you' will my using it be...are the 1st questions that come to mind when an unsolicited 'offer' like this comes around.

I find it hard to believe that someone would create a software package out of the goodness of their heart just to make my day better. ;)

It's not a matter of belief or disbelief, because it is a simple fact.

The open source movement is huge. People do it to help out both themselves and others, and because they enjoy it. Really.

EDIT: And sometimes, there is a benefit to the software dev other than cash money, such as data mining possibilities or advertising, as some posts here have alluded to. Hard to say if that is the case here or not. Still, those things are usually preferable to paying cash money. That's why we all use Google, and dropzone.com, brought to you by advertising and data mining. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

It's not a matter of belief or disbelief, because it is a simple fact.

The open source movement is huge. People do it to help out both themselves and others, and because they enjoy it. Really.

EDIT: And sometimes, there is a benefit to the software dev other than cash money, such as data mining possibilities or advertising, as some posts here have alluded to. Hard to say if that is the case here or not. Still, those things are usually preferable to paying cash money. That's why we all use Google, and dropzone.com, brought to you by advertising and data mining. :)

I understand the concept...but again I ask, what is the benefit of this new software to ME?

I use DizzyDot & Google because they offer an advantage to me above the ads & mining...though there may be some with this 'new comer' it's not explained very well.

Yes I'm a grumpy 'old school' fart, I don't get on the 'new' bandwagon just because something IS new...show me it's necessary or helpful to MEEEE! ;)

Hello guys,

I see through your comments that the majority of you misunderstood what the Skyproc project really is. It's my bad ! I have not put enough time and efforts to write something clear AND yes I'm not a native english speaker, so please forgive my bad english...

First of all: I'm NOT advertising about selling a software ! I'm advertising about an open source software I'm working on. I have neglected the fact that "open source" software is not an obvious concept for everyone... Please also forgive my geeky attitude :)

I should have used the true term "free software" and that is what Skyproc is, a free software, free like free in "free beer" AND free in "free speech". Which means you can use it for free ! And if you find it useful and continue using it, you will make me happy !

Believe it or not, but it is true ! This is what free software movement is ! And we really really enjoy it ! If you really don't know anything about free software or the "so called" Linux please Google it ! It is really huge like [The111] said. and nothing that you know (google, facebook, youtube, iphone, etc...) would exists as it is today without free software. Free software is everywhere, in the biggest and the fastest computers on earth and in your car and your iphone :) so it worth to know about it. In fact, at the begin the software was free, and then come the money...

So, why I'm doing this ? and who I'am ?

I'm doing it because I enjoy coding and I enjoy the pleasure of creating something that people could appreciate, it's human :) and secondary for occupying my existence... (my home dz is open just 6 months a year)

Yes, I have also created this project because I'm a skydiver, I'm new in skydive but really I have left my heart in it and for nothing I want it back now ! :) I've completed my AFF training the last december and jumped until April 2012 and done 170 jumps :) Life is too short...

I'm also a professional computer guy, I've been working for 15 years in open source system development and security, I spend more time behind black screens and blinking text cursors then behind fancy "click and drop" end user interfaces :) but I know how to program them :) but I don't know a bit about [url] :D sorry... :p

Is such a project useful ? Is it necessary ? What is "new" or different from what already exists ?

Well, for the necessity, No it is not necessary. We could use the old black board and continue to enjoy jumping, but the majority of people prefer use tools to help, it's handy ! And things evolves, if it is possible to do more, why not ? And if you have a good tool for free, why not again ? I prefer not speaking of necessity here...

Is it useful ? I believe it is ! The way Skyproc is designed should make life easier in dropzones, both for staff and jumpers. Skyproc will be more open to everyone and is designed to operate globally on the Internet in real time, such a platform can be very useful for the nature of activity of dropzones and jumpers, especially if used at large scale. I will not enter in details here and now, I prefer showing the software in action that writing about it, I'm not so good in writing in english for humans :) but i will do this latter, i will take time to write documentation for end users.

About security of data and confidentiality: it is an important point for such a system, I'll say something about it now. You don't want you data to be stolen by someone, and the idea of having data on internet can be scary. Well it's legitimate, and Skyproc is very concerned about those issues :
- For the technical part, Skyproc use a strong mechanism of security and a sophisticated data abstraction layer that makes is very secure, every piece of information has a token of security associated with it and it is virtually impossible to impersonate another user.
- You choose what data you record in Skyproc, for example you can organize loads and have members without storing any information about pricing and you can delete all your data right away, you will not have any reporting but you can be sure no one will have ever access to you data, since it's gone !
- And if you really have good reasons not to use the global Skyproc network, but want to use Skyproc because it is cool, you can download the software and install it offline so data will be stored on your hard drive. You can still connect your own Skyproc platform to the internet, so YOUR members can access it, or you can use it completely isolated on your laptop for example. It's really up to you to choose.

I think I wrote too much... :) and it will be preferable to discuss ideas point by point. So I will stop here and return back to coding. I expect to release the first beta in 3 or 4 weeks. I will be very busy until then, but I really want to start some constructive discussions with you guys !

I really hope that you see now what Skyproc is and I'm very sure I will find some enthusiasts like me who can be very helpful to the project.

Thank you a lot and blue skies for everyone !
Nabil (aka Skygeek)

It doesn't advertise well that you're selling computer software,

and don't even know how to make a clicky-link to your web references...

writing software is a different skill set than learning proprietary web forum markup.

if the software guys had to pay marketing guys to translate it into language people could understand it wouldn't be free.

100% Agree :)