loch1957

Remembering the first jump

I noticed that our instructors ask students in debriefing how their jump went. Its amazing how little we remember. My first static line jump I remember nothing from the time I let go of the strut till I saw that canopy. I hate the color yellow buy that was once it was very appealing to see that yellow canopy open.

How much do you remember from the first one?
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

My first static line jump I remember nothing from the time I let go of the strut till I saw that canopy.

All 3.5 seconds of it? How could you miss that????

I actually have the same memory of my first jump (also static line). Very vivid recollection of the time in the plane, and the climb-out, then a bank space from exit to opening, and then clear memories of the canopy ride and landing.

I think most jumpers take some time to really 'tune in' to what's happening right out of the door. I'm talking well past student status before a jumper can really recognize and react to what's happening just out of the door. So when you translate that to static line, it ends up that you don't recall any of the 'freefall' as it's just not long enough for your brain to 'catch up' and really regsiter as to what's happening.

Case in point, I was on a modified static-line/AFF training program where I made 4 staic line jumps, and then did a short AFF style program. Either way, when I got to the AFF part, again, I can't recall actually leaving the plane. I recall shortly after exit I 'woke up', and I can remember most of the jump aftrer that, but the exit is just a blur.

Ditto to your experience.

On the first jump I remembered nothing between letting go of the strut and having an open canopy. I ended up checking under canopy if I had gotten the DRCP.

Everything else I remembered pretty clearly, especially the corn field landing :$

I have a clear recollection of it now as I have watched the video so many times. :D VERY entertaining. My fav part is when my reserve side jump master finally gets my spinning under control and looks across at my main side jump master who is just rejoining us as I ditched him out the door, and mouthing "WHOA!" at the camera!!!:D:D

At the time, I knew my exit sucked, I knew I lost my main side instructor (I did double check I still had my reserve side before continuing my dive flow), i knew he rejoined and that i did lock on and pull. Thank god for radio because I was so overwhelmed, talking to me helped me refocus and land. Totally hooked though, and I passed level one so I at least did something right!

When I used to teach static line, I would describe the program of jumps up to qualification as being given something new to do/learn each jump. On the first jump we ask you to exit the plane in a stable arch. On your second jump we ask you to exit the plane in a stable arch and remember it. Third jump dummy pulls etc etc.

I also used to tell the class that for the best body position they should be looking up at the underside of the plane as they fell away. I would say that there would be a £1 prize for anyone who could tell me what was written on the underside. Never had to pay out (besides, it was blank). :)

It's information overload the first time. Too many new sensations in one go to remember reliably I think.

I think my personal recallection went "look up - GO! [ sure there's something missing here... ] check canopy".

I remember bits of it. Wish I'd thought to snag the video. I thought time was supposed to slow down in periods of stress like that but wow did it ever speed up! My brain was rocketing a mile a minute trying to remember the dive flow. I did get through my COA and practice touches. That first opening was like being grabbed by the scruff of my neck by God Himself.

Them talking me down was pretty uneventful, though in those early jumps they were always telling me to turn when I didn't think it was such a good idea.

I do remember the massive surge of adrenaline and noticing on the ground that every little ache and pain that usually bothers me were just gone.

I saw a video of another early one I did (Don't think it was my first) and I looked terrified at the door. I don't remember feeling that terrified, but I sure did look it.

I'm pretty sure the debriefing is to get it while it's fresh and see how much the student was actually there.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I LOVE going back and watching all the videos from when I just started. Its only been a year, but WOW!

One of our video guys found my tandem video the other day and he can't stop cracking up about it. He said whenever he is having a bad day, he just rewatches my tandem because it makes him laugh that hard:$. I was the tandem going "i'm not scared!" but my face says I am TERRIFIED (and I had awesome leg position)!:D

Going through and watching them in order shows how much I progressed on each jump though too. I hated the door as an AFF student, and in all of those videos, you can see the fear/stress in my face. I was always so stone faced and "focused" on the plane and during my jumps. My AFFI from my level 7 said that was the first jump he ever saw me smile on and my instructor from check dive said he would fail me if I didn't smile the entire jump:)
I am so glad that a lot of my instructors had videos from these earlier ones. Its pretty cool to see how far I have come, and how far I still have to go!

Photo added for you entertainment and enjoyment!:D

3.5 seconds is a long time when your scared shitless. That was originally going to be my only jump. I had no intention of a second jump, not sure what happened to make me want to try it again.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

My AFFI from my level 7 said that was the first jump he ever saw me smile on

Thats funny, Andy my instructor actually wrote "he smiled" in my log book on jump 5.

I remember basically nothing from my first few jumps, just tiny flashes of confusion and fumbling through my exercises.

The first time I remember an actual scene from was AFF level 4. Then after a few more you start to forget them because they get so boring ;)