fensittr

Throw-out versus ripcord

First of all, I want to thank everyone for clarifying the issue for me. I won't make the deployment method a huge consideration for which dropzone I pick, though all things being equal I'll probably go with one that teaches with throw-out.

I do have another question, though: If throw-out is better for main parachutes, then why do reserves use ripcord? I know that you can't use an AAD with a throw-out, but what about the days before the AAD was around? People have written that pilot chute hesitations can be a problem with ripcords? Do pilot-chute hesitations happen on reserves? If not, is there a way to get those features incorporated into a main ripcord system?

Very interested to hear people's thoughts. Once again, thanks again for the helpful advice.

Blue Skies,

James

And correct me if i'm wrong, being just a newbie, but isn't it far easier to horseshoe on a throw-out than a ripcord?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, but ...
It's really a question of 6 problems with one system or 1/2 dozen problems with the other system.

For example, the leading cause of horse shoe malfunctions - during transitions - is people forgetting to let go of their pilot chutes. This usually clears when they open their right hands to grab their cutaway handles.
Hee!
Hee!

I do have another question, though: If throw-out is better for main parachutes, then why do reserves use ripcord? I know that you can't use an AAD with a throw-out, but what about the days before the AAD was around?

I believe that Bill Booth talks about this in show #16. the first half of his interview.

http://www.skydiveradio.com/shows.htm
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I read the thread. This makes a lot of sense: Since you jump with your main a lot, you want something that is relatively easy to use and reliable at the same time. Body position shouldn't be an issue, since, if you're off student status, you should be deploying stably, and if you are a student, someone should be making sure you're deploying stably. For a reserve, the extra care necessary to properly pack the spring-loaded PC is not as big a deal, since you're not expected to use it as often.

I think that summarizes the thread. Makes sense. Thanks for pointing it out.

>then why do reserves use ripcord?

1. Ripcords work better when you're unstable.
2. Since the PC 'goes away' the drag/weight of the spring doesn't matter much.

> Do pilot-chute hesitations happen on reserves?

Yes, if you are stable. Jump Shack recommends a head-high attitude when deploying the reserve to help prevent this. (Note that this is the same attitude your RSL will deploy your reserve in.)

It's also a handle thing. You got to keep up with a ripcord everytime you jump the main unless you end up using the reserve too. Thankfully, I never had to use my reserve when I started out in military surplus rounds.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

POBS disappeared from civilian PEPs 20-plus years ago and are now only found on antiquated military PEPs.

What about the Quasar II?

P.R.O.
Positive Reserve Opening
Strong Enterprises unique technology allows fast opening of the reserve container. Side flaps closed under tension from integrated spring steel.

That's like the POBs, right?

POBS disappeared from civilian PEPs 20-plus years ago and are now only found on antiquated military PEPs.

What about the Quasar II?

P.R.O.
Positive Reserve Opening
Strong Enterprises unique technology allows fast opening of the reserve container. Side flaps closed under tension from integrated spring steel.

That's like the POBs, right?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes.
PRO does the same function as POB.
I suspect that Ted Strong re-invented the wheel not because his spiral springs were weak, but because his Quasar containers were getting so narrow that the aluminum pilot chute cap had a hard time pushing the side flaps out of the way.
Note: Relative Workshop is one of the few h/c container manufacturers still using 6.5 " wide pilot chute caps, and they had to do some pretty fancy tricks with Vector 3 side flaps to make that work.

Just think about how much a 6" pilot chute cap has to struggle to exit a 9" wide reserve container ...

Almost everyone else has reduced the size of their pilot chute caps/spring diameter on smaller containers: Rigging Innovations, Mirage, Racer, etc.).