Viking

NEVER let the toggles up if you flare high!!!! (pics)

I just had one of the late flare landings on the weekend! Brand new jumpsuit (by the way I usually land on my knees so I went for the padded knees and didn't think I needed the padded bum!) and almost nil wind! Not used to that! =) Bit of a "later than it should have been" flares and got pulled along on my unpadded, new jumpsuit covered bum! But at least it was entertainment!

I found only in the past 3-4 jumps (have 34 now) that I've actually worked out where I should be flaring - might just be a perception problem with me...
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

(by the way I usually land on my knees

If I may offer a suggestion. If your having trouble standing up your landings, you should consult your DZ instructors and ask them to help you correct the situation. Secondly, landing on your knees is one of the worst ways you can land. Why? Eventually you will land off the DZ, on a road, a parking lot, etc. Somewhere not covered in soft grass. When you do, if you land on your knees, your not going to walk away from your landing. B| We had a jumper in an identical situation at my DZ this year say "Thats just the way I land (on my knees), I'll be fine, I'll figure it out (standing up landings) on my own." A few weeks later, he landed in our gravel driveway and tore his knee cap cleanly open when he landed on his knees in the gravel. He lwas lucky, he only got 4 weeks off from jumping while all the stitches healed.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, I simply want to suggest that canopies are designed to be landed standing up. If your consistently not standing up your landings as you indicated in your post, it's either pilot error (you) or the canopy isnt working properly, that is causing the problem. The important thing is that you must find out where the problem lies and correct it. Continuing to jump your canopy the way you are jumping it, just landing on your knees, again and again without seeking help, is neither appropriate nor responsible .

Lastly, has anyone at your DZ witnessed/talked to you about your landing problem, or offered to work with you?

Again, sorry for hijacking the thread.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

I know how you feel! My problem is I flare a little to late and can't run that fast. So I end up sliding in on my knees. This last time I did that, I nailed a rock and that took me out for a couple weeks.

One of the AFF instructors have been helping me out with it tho. Once I get my new rig, I will be heading down to FL for a canopy course and see if I can work out my problem.

Fitz
#148 Sonic Scrat
"Have you ever kissed a rabbit between the eyes?" Woodpecker pulling out his pants pockets to the waitress

I never actually slide on my knees - it's more of a modified PLR! =) I'm a bit of a klutz so I've learnt how to fall and not hurt myself - I actually went out one day and planned a PLR and really bruised myself so I thought I would stick to how I want to fall over.

I am improving though - that first jump of the day was just a low wind so I was coming in a bit faster than what is normal. The next two were fine - stand ups! =)
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

NEVER let the toggles up if you flare high!!!!

I think this is advise is a bit too general.

For very large canopies where the toggle stroke for a particular person does not allow them to actually stall the canopy, it is good advise.

As students move to smaller canopies, I think they must learn to ease up just slightly before then getting that last bit of flare out if needed (a deep flare that is too high). It has saved me a few times. Of course you don't want early students trying it, but the ability to sink a canopy into a tight area depends on this type of skill which is not so well known anymore. Also, when flaring from a high performance approach, the novice might find themselves getting much more response than anticipated, and the ability to nurse it back to the ground gracefully depends on this skill.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

No offense taken - my problem is mainly that I'm a klutz. My instructors have given me advice on landing but it just doesn't want to work...I'm hoping I've got it sorted now! =)

I flared ok on my first 10 jumps. Then I for some reason forgot to, until my 48th jump when I was REALLY happy with my flare, just to be told I let go of the toggles too fast. Bah.

I know how to do it, I have learned about tree-tops and "FLAAAARE" and sweetspot, I have practiced a lot at high altitude both with student equipment and my own gear, and I can tell when a student (or someone else, for the matter) flares too early or too late and give advise accordingly - I just don't remember to do it myself...

But I have never been good at keeping my balance - or perhaps I have just not seen the point in standing all the time - so whether it's height jumping in school, skiing or skydiving I just fall. I have only had a few bruises so far, but, yeah, it's probably just pure luck, I should get a good flare reflex....

And yes, my userpic is an example of a baaaad flare. Or no flare.

Well I've had a couple of jumps in a row now where I seem to have hit the right spot and had lovely landings where I didn't even have to take a step! Needless to say I was pretty proud of myself (especially considering my past record!)...