BrianSGermain

Safety First TV Free Video: Loosening the Chest Strap

There are lots of folks who have not heard all of the safety aspects regarding loosening the chest strap after opening. Here is a ten minute excerpt from one of my canopy courses that covers the subject.

Please pass it on!

Here 'tis:
http://youtu.be/PU1mL3YLOIY
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

Brian on loosening yer chest strap: "It puts you inside the triangle, instead of hanging below the triangle."

Excellent description of something I always knew instinctively but didn't know how to put into words. Thanks for imparting your wisdom as always, o jedei master.

Brian on loosening yer chest strap: "It puts you inside the triangle, instead of hanging below the triangle."

Excellent description of something I always knew instinctively but didn't know how to put into words. Thanks for imparting your wisdom as always, o jedei master.

Keep in mind that unless you pull your slider down or remove it, you are still mostly hanging under the triangle. .

It is also important to note that it is advisable to release the brakes prior to loosening the chest strap. If only one toggle releases, you are one fewer step toward a safe cutaway.

Glad you enjoyed the description

-BSG-

Thanks Brian - this was a good video dealing with a real skydiving situation, and I find this sort of thing much more useful and directly applicable than the more nebulous deep-breathing, fear-management stuff.

More of the same please!
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Although the nebulous transcending fear stuff may appear less relevant to our safety at first glance, it is every bit as imperative.

Without controlling our emotions, the specific actions that lead to safety become muddled. Try loosening your chest trap when your hands are shaking and your breathing is erratic. Now consider how your peripheral awareness suffers while you are focused on these actions. When we are in a state of emotional imbalance, we are less aware of the other parachutes in the air.

So, if you want to be safer in the sky, consider the fact that many skydivers are over-amped and unaware of your presence. Still want ONLY specific safety information?

Remember, just because you do not think it is pointed at you does not mean it is not what needs to be said.

Brian

Thanks for posting that. I never loosen my chest strap because I thought it was more for the swoopy-swoop people and not something that pertains to my conservative canopy flying. I'll try it on my next jump. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Thanks for posting that. I never loosen my chest strap because I thought it was more for the swoopy-swoop people and not something that pertains to my conservative canopy flying. I'll try it on my next jump. :)

It also slightly changes the shape of the wing as well, correct? I was under the impression that loosening the chest strap flattens the wing a little bit and this is beneficial.

Am I wrong or not understanding correctly? Thanks

Still want ONLY specific safety information?

Personally, yes. But I know lots of other people like your transcending fear stuff.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

It also slightly changes the shape of the wing as well, correct? I was under the impression that loosening the chest strap flattens the wing a little bit and this is beneficial.

Am I wrong or not understanding correctly? Thanks

Unless the slider is pulled down or removed, the shape of the canopy remains unchanged. The slider limits the spanwise expansion.

-BSG-

Ever since I started jumping high-performance canopies in 1996 or so (damn, was it that long ago?!), I have always pulled my collapsed slider down to the 3-rings and stowed it behind my head, and then loosened my chest strap all the way to the keeper. When you loosen your chest strap, you can actually feel the wing spread open above your head.

When you pull your slider all the way down, it moves the bottom of the triangle from your connector links to the 3-rings. Then when you loosen your chest strap, it moves the bottom of the triangle further down your body to somewhere between your chest strap and your leg straps, especially if you have an articulated harness. As Brian says in the video, loosening your chest strap "puts you inside the system."

Everyone is different. I find that if I get them in a hanging harness, ideally the one they will be jumping, and actually practice this, they stress about it less. You can hold their legstraps and pull them forward when they flare to simulate the pitch change. This will allow them to see the difference between chest strap loose and chest strap tight. This is a real eye-opener if you have not tried it. If you take the time to do this training, the procedure can be started just after completion of AFF.

Remember, if a student is already having fear issues, do not give them more to do.

-Bri

As a student who took recently took an ass spanking from a big planet during AFF (ok more than 1), I think this will actually reduce some fear at landing.

I flared a too soon and as as soon as I realized it, I was commited to PLF. It wasn't until you described the pitch change that i really understood how/why I landed on my ass when I felt i was perfectly positioned for a good planned PLF

Of course I'll be talking to my instructors before I do anything new, But the video made a lot of sense to me & I'm excited to try it under canopy.

The only thing I would add is to make sure you clear your airspace before messing with anything, then rear riser turn back toward the LZ if needed. Once those two things are done then you can unstow breaks, loosen chest strap, collapse slider, etc. And don't forget to keep checking your airspace through out the process.

The only thing I would add is to make sure you clear your airspace before messing with anything, then rear riser turn back toward the LZ if needed. Once those two things are done then you can unstow breaks, loosen chest strap, collapse slider, etc. And don't forget to keep checking your airspace through out the process.

I agree with you, and as an addendum to these good thoughts, please point your parachute PERPENDICULAR to the jump run after opening. Flying back to the dropzone too soon can put you in the path of oncoming freefallers. This is especially true if you fall fast (Freeflying), slide around (tracking), or did not leave ample time separation before existing after another jumper.

Safety First!

I agree with you, and as an addendum to these good thoughts, please point your parachute PERPENDICULAR to the jump run after opening. Flying back to the dropzone too soon can put you in the path of oncoming freefallers. This is especially true if you fall fast (Freeflying), slide around (tracking), or did not leave ample time separation before existing after another jumper.

Safety First!

Awesome, great example of me not knowing what I didn't know. :)I understand and practice that concept at break off during tracking to make sure that I don't track up or down jump run and get into other groups space but I never really thought about it under canopy just after opening, makes perfect sense now though, thanks. ;)