StealthBoy

Health Insurance?

This may be irrelevant info, but I had the super basic coverage from BCBS Iowa until late 2006 when I left the US. It didn't cover day to day basics but it was only $80/mo and covered skydiving so it was the go.
cavete terrae.

StealthBoy

I need health insurance and I can't find it. I searched the forum and found a bunch of threads but they were all really old so can anyone tell me about the current situation? The USPA benefits site isn't giving me much hope. Thanks in advance.

USPA offers a lot of great benefits. But health insurance isnt one of them. Yet:S

I had to sell my soul for 25 yrs to get my bride and I, some kickass unaffordable health insurance. Even with that you have to find a Dr you have confidence in. Thats the real challenge.[:/]

Have you checked on the status of the new federal health insurance program, that may or may not get thru congress in your lifetime. I dont have a clue how young you are but I think if your parents have health insurance and you are still in college you may be able to get coverage under their family plan.

Google is your friend:)

Sorry for the bad news
One Jump Wonder

You could move to any civilized western democracy. (Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. I really like the USA, but some things about it I can't understand.)
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

You could move to any civilized western democracy. (Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. I really like the USA, but some things about it I can't understand.)

:D:D:D

Well, I suppose while I am in Canada, I am safe. But I do plan on making trips to the US... I might want to start looking into travelers health insurance that covers skydiving.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

gowlerk

No sweat our health care situation isn't a secret. Its even worse than you think it is. And I have great insurance.

Finding a good Dr can be a challenge. The Drs have positioned themselves into speciaties, some of them have a 3 day work week so they overbook the days they do work. With their canned excuse sorry the Drs going to be late he/she ran into complications. BS they over booked it's more efficent that way.

One Dr was so efficent I refused to pay the bill.
Nurse asks why your there and takes vitals,
Dr shows up looked into my ear and leaves without saying a word.never to be seen again.
Nurse shows up and hands me three color coded pre filled out and signed script for meds. (Pink yellow and green for the patient in rm 2)and the nurse leads to another door and I'm standing in the street without ever talking to the dr or getting a diagnosis.The dr bill is on its way that asap.:ph34r:

Thats efficiency for the Dr but imo the quality of the patient care suffers when their even to busy to talk to you.

Pink yellow and blue for the patient in rm6. Green pink and blue for the patient in rm7. Don't even know why the Dr showed up. The nurse knew I was pink yellow and green.:)
Even retired jumpers know how to whine, its like riding a push bike A;)

Some of the Drs run their office like a tandem mill, over booked, assembly line service. TM is on back to back loads and doesn't see the patient:$ student, untill they are headed to the plane.

Efficiency can be a good thing but taking short cuts where my health care is involved make a person wonder. Who's working for who.
One Jump Wonder

Well, I suppose while I am in Canada, I am safe. But I do plan on making trips to the US... I might want to start looking into travelers health insurance that covers skydiving.

The best deal I've found for travel insurance that covers jumping vacations in the US is to join CAA and buy it from them as you need it.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

If you are in Canada - check with your employer as well if you have health insurance with them.

I am from Canada and recently verified that my insurance through work is valid outside of canada anywhere for up to 1million (this is on top of my provincial medicare). There are also no exceptions for skydiving in the policy.

gowlerk

The best deal I've found for travel insurance that covers jumping vacations in the US is to join CAA and buy it from them as you need it.

Thanks!

the_raven

If you are in Canada - check with your employer as well if you have health insurance with them.

I am from Canada and recently verified that my insurance through work is valid outside of canada anywhere for up to 1million (this is on top of my provincial medicare). There are also no exceptions for skydiving in the policy.

I looked into it... we have the worst health care package at my work. Alas.