Pinky2

full protection helmet

Hi guys

I am very much a newbie and did my 6th jump yesterday, only one of them being an AFF Level 1, the rest were tandems, and still I just CAN'T manage to breathe with ease during the WHOLE freefall. Is this normal or am I just too nervous? I am already considering wearing a full protection helmet during my next summers AFF course.

Any hints will be appreciated.

Pinky 2

Pinky2

Hi guys

I am very much a newbie and did my 6th jump yesterday, only one of them being an AFF Level 1, the rest were tandems, and still I just CAN'T manage to breathe with ease during the WHOLE freefall. Is this normal or am I just too nervous? I am already considering wearing a full protection helmet during my next summers AFF course.

Pinky 2

So you still can't manage to breath yet you want a full protection helmet? As in a full face helmet?
Why cuz all the "cool" kids have full face helmets?

Concentrate on finishing AFF,,use the school's gear ask your instructors.

Pinky2

Hi guys

Pinky 2

*Moderators..look,,he did say ANY ;)*

Breathing during freefall is good.
Pee before you board the jump plane.
Beer is always good.
If you see a pretty heinie go for it..heck it's a DZ.
Windtunnel.
PLF, PLF, PLF.

Staying relaxed will help you breath easy during freefall. Visualize the whole skydive on the ride to altitude and take some slow, deep breaths before exit to help calm yourself. Freefall is a very different environment than most people are used to and its normal to be a little stressed out, but calming yourself right before you jump often helps you stay calm while you jump.

And talk to your instructors before buying any gear. They might not want you using anything other than what they provide.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Hi mrubin

your words make sense in every way and I'll try to incorporate them into my next dive. Do you have experience with full face protection helmets during freefall? My last TI wore one, I forgot to ask him, but there must be a reason why he wears one. Normally they are used for RW jumps but why else? Probably he feels more comfortable with it?

Pinky2

Hi mrubin

your words make sense in every way and I'll try to incorporate them into my next dive. Do you have experience with full face protection helmets during freefall? My last TI wore one, I forgot to ask him, but there must be a reason why he wears one. Normally they are used for RW jumps but why else? Probably he feels more comfortable with it?

I use a full face helmet because I do a lot of RW. Its all about personal preference. Some like full face helmets and some don't. I don't think that they're good for students because they do cut down on your peripheral vision.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

mrubin

***Hi mrubin

I use a full face helmet because I do a lot of RW. Its all about personal preference. Some like full face helmets and some don't. I don't think that they're good for students because they do cut down on your peripheral vision.

I too like using a full face helmet for RW...nothing like a dude's balls in your face from a funneled exit doing a 6-way :P

Dear Pinky2,

It is my personal and humble opinion that the most important part of safety in skydiving is staying away from DZ.com forums. Take a positive step and delete your account as soon as possible, or at least make it dormant. There are many dangers in soliciting advice on the internet, the main one being: you will get advice. The words written here (especially mine) are malicious lies intended to cause you harm and discomfort. The people writing here (and I lead the charge) might be idiots or geniuses. They could be the best skydivers or the worse safety offenders (talking about myself again).
One thing everyone here has in common is that they have zero responsibility or accountability if something horrible happens to you. Another commonality here is that everyone who writes here does not have to follow the advice given, including you. Also, everyone here except maybe one user is not your DZO. Your DZO has ultimate responsibility for everything that happens under their supervision.
Please talk to your DZO, S&TA, instructors and coaches before doing anything in this sport. These people have a legal and moral obligation to not give you advice that may harm you or others. Everyone here welcomes you to the best forum for skydivers in the world. Some of the worlds best and most notorious skydivers post here. Lawyers quote this website in court. Epic battles over the future of skydiving are fought right here. Some of the best (and worst) videos make their debut here before the news organizations get them. There are thousands of hours of flying experience represented here. This place is truly a collection of awesome posts (except this one, of course)
Do: post your awesome AFF1-7 videos. (I show them to my friends as testimony "Look! This dude did this last weekend")
Do: go to the bonfire and scroll through thousands of "BillyVance's sick and twisted and/or NSFW photo attachment thread" (Brain bleach required)
Do: Make horrible posts about your co-workers (Example: Shah) and get flamed down by an angry mob.
Do: check out the blue skies forum and find the depth of human emotion that defies explanations
Do: Read the entire "X-rays of my failed swoop" thread.
Do: Read every single thread in the incidents forum. It is well moderated and extremely informative. The utter coldness of dissection of chains of events can be a blueprint for major accident investigations. Everything from wild speculations to cold hard facts is considered and many times the tangential discussions cause more uproar than the incident.
Do: Get gear on the Classifieds. You might get scammed but it is a right of passage. (First 4way, first jump on new gear and first scam on DZ.com are all equally beer worthy)
There are many things you can and should do here and this list if far from comprehensive. Two things you should not do here:
1) Solicit advice about skydiving
2) Follow advice about skydiving

A moderator might delete this post and ban me (to the benefit of this forum) but if this drivel actually survives long enough for anyone to take notice, I apologize.
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers