Namowal

List of Jumpers I Should Have Heard of...?

Sir, you are right on!
When I was 15, in 1958, I first hung out with my friend Gary Somma at the old Valley Forge Airport, until about 1960, went I went into the Army and took up mil parachuting then became an aviator and made countless drops. My parents never gave permission for me to do sport jumping, so I went military, but I have wonderful memories of that time. Precious memories of Steve Snyder and his beautiful Studebaker Golden Hawk, stories Steve told us of setting the canopy on fire during first attempts in the garage with his auto reserve. During that time at Valley Forge, I didn't realize Snyder and Hillard had made the first US baton pass, because I never saw Charlie jump. Charlie was always the guy who made the drops. Charlie had just won his first aerobatic championship. Yes, it was Hillard, not Hilliard, a common error. Seems like yesterday. I believe it was Steve's wife who taught me how to pack chutes. Great experience for a kid. Yes, all those great people and more are out there. I stumbled on this site because I made my military "cherry" jump with SF at Lakehurst in 1965 and Lakewood came up on the search. Awesome memories.

Joe Smith was one of my heros. I met him when I was 5 years old when he jumped at York Sport Parachute Center in York PA in the late sixties. I was a DZ brat and Joe was a leader. He always had cool stuff and was constantly tweaking and modifing parachute equipment. I bought my first rig from him. But what he was most famous for was his conection to that Hossenfus guy giving arms to the Contras. I never did hear the real story from Joe, but the Feds were all over Joe after Hossenfus's plane went down. It made the headlines world wide if I remember correctly. Ollie North probably knows the truth.

An aviator, not known for her jumping (Don't know if she ever jumped, her husband did, for test purposes.) as much as pestering her husband:

Gertrude Rogallo

C

For their vision and inspiration....
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Namowal

Back when I started the sport, an older jumper mentioned to me that he found it annoying that a lot of the younger jumpers didn't recognize (or hadn't heard of) distinguished jumpers from the past and even the present.
In your opinion, is there a list of skydivers you think all of us should be familiar with? Who are they? (Aside from yourself, of course ;)...

Tom Cruise