Namowal

List of Jumpers I Should Have Heard of...?

I'd like to suggest that when folks add names to this list, that they also list the accomplishment which makes that jumper worthy of honorable mention. That way we can learn as we go here. Otherwise they are just names that don't mean anything. Thank you.

that would eliminate the need to research, taking away the effort involved in learning is counter productive, to said learning;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'd like to suggest that when folks add names to this list, that they also list the accomplishment which makes that jumper worthy of honorable mention. That way we can learn as we go here. Otherwise they are just names that don't mean anything. Thank you.

that would eliminate the need to research, taking away the effort involved in learning is counter productive, to said learning;)

I call Bullshit...I graduated from a state college and almost never cracked a book. :P

Eye learnt me prduy goodly~~!! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I call Bullshit...I graduated from a state college and almost never cracked a book. :P

Eye learnt me prduy goodly~~!! :ph34r:
There's more than one way to work at learnin ;), you also probably knew more than most were teaching, Being Methuselah does come with it's inherent perks:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hi

If you don't already know whp Jerry Bird is :$

Thats all folks;)
One Jump Wonder

Gary Dupuis inventor of AFF and Tandem
Rocky Evans and Ken Coleman, Co developers of AFF
Richard “Fang” Fenimore
In the late 1980’s I was very fortunate to begin my aviation career at the sleepy old airport across the street from where I was going to high school. At the age of 15 I was very much interested in aviation and the Civil Air Patrol at the time but I just wasn’t getting the in the air time that I wanted. Flagler Aviation was the FBO on the field and they were being bought out by a skydiving operation run by Rocky and Fang. Along with aircraft rental and maintenance they were a full service DZ. I somehow got hooked up with these guys. My intention was to work for them so I could learn to fly but instead they taught me how to skydive and so much more. I somehow ended up taking off aircraft inspection panels, degreasing aircraft engines and scrubbing toilets for this company. Learning to fly would have to wait but what I learned helped me become who I am today.
Gary taught me how to work on airplanes. I never knew him as a skydiver but many of the things he did made the sport what it is today. I would like to share more about Gary and I hope to write more about him in the future.
When I was 16 Fang did my first jump as a tandem. Yup, totally illegal but Fang is dead and I was a minor so fuck off FAA! Fang gave me the name Dave the Slave for all the subservient work I did around the DZ. Fang did video for a James Bond film and was quite accomplished in his skydiving career. Unfortunately Fang met an early demise http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20001207X04307&key=1
Rocky carries on the legacy of Ken Coleman by bringing AFF to be the best way to become a skydiver. Rocky was the sole survivor of the balloon crash that claimed Ken’s life. Rocky recently wrote about it and I highly recommend his book “Truth” http://www.amazon.com/Truth-Rocky-Evans/dp/1462066151/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352024968&sr=8-1&keywords=truth+rocky+evans

Leo Valentin

Discovered and taught the stable freefall position (not the only person to do so but he didn't have the benefit of the internet to learn from other people's knowledge)

Successfully jumped several times with rigid wings. Unfotunately died during an unsuccessful wing jump.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/leo-valentine-bird-man-aka-bird-man

Thats all folks;)

Well, when I google "Jerry Bird" I find a musician, a basketball player, and a murderer. Which one do I pick?

That's why we need to have a synopsis of what they're famous for.

Thats all folks;)

Well, when I google "Jerry Bird" I find a musician, a basketball player, and a murderer. Which one do I pick?

Hi

Sorry I first heard about JerryBird from reading about him in Parachutist Mag. in the late 60's.

Had the pleasure of meeting and jumping with him in the 80's.

I don't feel qualified to write a synopsis of everything Jerry Bird did for RW or the SPORT.:$

Help!!!!!!!

R.
One Jump Wonder

I haven't seen Jake Brake mentioned. Lots of film credits for stunts and "specialty" rigging and acting dating back over 20 years. Earlier contributions to R&D and testing. Golden Knight. Has quietly done a lot of amazing stuff with little recognition, even within the skydiving community.

How about Mike Truffer, long-time publisher of the pull-no-punches "Skydiving" news magazine, providing independent reporting that gave much more than just the official news from "Parachutist". I still miss it.

And he's a pretty good skydiver...for an old fart:P

Hi #1 +#2 =3

Well which one did you pick;)
One Jump Wonder

Hi #1 +#2 =3
Well which one did you pick;)

I went for the one that was arrested for streaking naked through a 7-11 in front of children.

Another legend & very interesting character is Joe Smith.

I remember seeing his ads in Parachutist back when I first started skydiving.

Scary looking d00d with the catchy tag-line:

Would You Buy A Parachute From This Man?

Saw him but never met at a Herd boogie in the 70's, - you could tell he had 'it' the way everyone gravitated toward him.

Finally met Joe through Shorty, Joe joined our Demo team and we became very good friends...very smart man with an amazing history.

He Herd! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~