1 1
F104 Starfighter

Illinois Man Sues iFLY Indoor Skydiving Wind Tunnel after Severe Spinal Cord Injury. Oct 2022

(edited)

I believe this link takes you to the Court Papers Lawsuit. https://www.cliffordlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/David-Schilling-Second-Amended-Complaint.pdf

I see they Lawsuit is asking for in excess of $50,000 and Legal Costs. Why don't they put the numbers of what they are asking for?

WHEREFORE, Plaintiff, KIMBERLY A. SCHILLING, as Power of Attorney and on behalf of DAVID SCHILLING, demands judgment against Defendant, SKYVENTURE, LLC, for a sum in excess of FIFTY-THOUSAND ($50,000.00) and costs of this suit.

Edited by F104 Starfighter

My experience has been that personal-injury lawsuits can drag on forever and secondary damages - during the lawsuit - can exceed injuries from the initial accident.

In my case, lawyers representing Workmens’ Compensation Board of British Columbia dragged me into a 9-year-long lawsuit versus the usual shit-gun group of defendants. In the end, it hooked down to a dock-measuring concept between WCB and Transport Canada. TC was the only defendant left with “deep pockets.”

During that 9-year long trial, I lost 15 months wages, 60 pounds and my sanity. Discussions about secondary physical damages raise embarrassing questions about why WCB delayed my knee surgery by 2 years.

During the trial, the stresses left me badly depressed and unable to work for 15 months. The loss of wages caused my starvation and delayed recovery from surgery

WCB neglected to inform the judge about 2 counts of intimidating witnesses outside the court …. er … contempt outside the court.

Finally, WCB’s lawyers neglected to inform the judge about the 14 other jump-planes that crashed during the trial. The last crashed jump-plane was owned by one of the defendants.

My advice to David Schilling is to abandons the lawsuit because secondary damages can easily exceed his injuries from the original accident.

How about accepting responsibility for your own decisions. This blame and sue culture the US has is ridiculous. You choose to do things, accept the consequences if it doesn't work out. Otherwise wrap yourself in cotton wool and stay in bed.  

Sad that he is paralysed, but shit happens. Its not always someone elses fault. 

• Like 3

On 6/11/2024 at 6:53 AM, obelixtim said:

How about accepting responsibility for your own decisions. This blame and sue culture the US has is ridiculous. You choose to do things, accept the consequences if it doesn't work out. Otherwise wrap yourself in cotton wool and stay in bed.  

Sad that he is paralysed, but shit happens. Its not always someone elses fault. 

True to a large degree, but here in the US, the 'social safety net' is rather porus. Lot's of people 'fall through the cracks'.

Care for a person in that condition is really expensive.
Unless they have good long term disability insurance, they're going to suffer.

9 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

True to a large degree, but here in the US, the 'social safety net' is rather porus. Lot's of people 'fall through the cracks'.

Care for a person in that condition is really expensive.
Unless they have good long term disability insurance, they're going to suffer.

I sympathize with his situation totally, my comment was more to do with the blame game that goes on. Unless there is total and provable negligence on the part of the operator, I think if people want to partake in risky activities, they should also accept the consequences, especially if the consequence is a result of their own action. Not saying he did anything wrong, but if he in fact has 80 odd skydives under his belt, he should be well in control of his body in a tunnel. What was he doing when the incident occurred? Back loops? Head down? I find it hard to imagine what you could do in a tunnel that would result in quadriplegia.