1 1
F104 Starfighter

DC9 Jet Turbine at Perris CA, Skydiver Load, Youtube Video, May 2024

I don't know the long term plan, that's up to the Conasters. It sits outside, next to the hanger. They take their time to brief everyone, so it is shut down between loads. As for "unload" as you can see in the videos everyone runs out, they were putting 80 out on one pass! It was $150.00 the first week, but it looks like they had to recalc costs as now it will be $200.00 a jump.

Looks like fun. Do the toilets work? At my age I need to pee at about 10grand....last time I jumped out of anything that had seats that comfy looking it was an old Antonov Bi-Plane that took about 30 mins to get to 4 grand for h&p only. 

16 hours ago, bigbearfng said:

I don't know the long term plan, that's up to the Conasters. It sits outside, next to the hanger. They take their time to brief everyone, so it is shut down between loads. As for "unload" as you can see in the videos everyone runs out, they were putting 80 out on one pass! It was $150.00 the first week, but it looks like they had to recalc costs as now it will be $200.00 a jump.

80 Jumpers at $150 = $12,000. 80 Jumpers at $200 = $16,000. 
Does shutting down the Engines for reloads add a significant amount to the operating costs? 

(edited)
16 hours ago, F104 Starfighter said:

80 Jumpers at $150 = $12,000. 80 Jumpers at $200 = $16,000. 
Does shutting down the Engines for reloads add a significant amount to the operating costs? 

It can.

Turbines operate with two 'counting limits'.

One is hours of operation.
The other is 'cycles' (startups).

Turbines love to run.
Keep it running, no major power changes, no major temp changes and it will run for a very long time.

Starting up puts a lot of wear and tear on them.

That's one reason DZOs try very hard to keep a turbine powered plane turning. And why they 'hot fuel'. 

Edit to add:
One other issue is allowing the engine to cool off before a restart.
Hot starts are brutal on the engines.

Edited by wolfriverjoe