billvon

Skydiving AND climate change!

As some of you know, I am now at a startup (Smartville) designing systems that let you use old EV batteries as energy storage for your house, business or grid.  This is a way to:

1) Not have to throw out/recycle all those old EV batteries
2) Have a way to store energy from renewable (solar, wind)
3) Provide grid backup during times of high demand.

A while back, none other than Scott Miller called me and asked me to do a podcast with him on what I'm doing with Smartville.  It's up now at the link below. 
https://creatingacoolerworld.com/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billvon said:

As some of you know, I am now at a startup (Smartville) designing systems that let you use old EV batteries as energy storage for your house, business or grid.  This is a way to:

1) Not have to throw out/recycle all those old EV batteries
2) Have a way to store energy from renewable (solar, wind)
3) Provide grid backup during times of high demand.

A while back, none other than Scott Miller called me and asked me to do a podcast with him on what I'm doing with Smartville.  It's up now at the link below. 
https://creatingacoolerworld.com/

Good to know. Can you get me a deal on batteries?

Great idea but it seems to me that giving companies like Generac a run for their money is a first objective. All of the conservative Prepper types will need them.

You know I'm your biggest fan in SC. How about some stock options for when it goes public?

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Out of curiousity, what is the difference between a battery and an energy storage solution?

From a marketing perspective?  You can charge more for an energy storage solution.

From a technical perspective?  Energy storage systems generally include things like inverters, protection circuits, battery management systems, charge controllers etc so that it can be used for energy storage in (for example) a house.  For example, the Tesla Powerwall contains the battery AND an inverter (so it can be used with the home's 240V power) and a cooling system, and a BMS, and protection, and case/mounting hardware.

At larger scales, these systems are called BESS - battery energy storage systems.  We've built a few of them.  One of them is featured in the story below, to give a sense of scale.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/story/2022-10-24/used-electric-vehicle-batteries-put-to-good-use-at-new-energy-storage-system

• Like 1