Alba-Mike

Sports Skydiving New Zealand?

Alba-Mike

Are there any good DZs to learn to freefly in New Zealand?
If so could I get 300 quality jumps in a year?

Yes and Yes

B|
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Rstanley0312

***Are there any good DZs to learn to freefly in New Zealand?
If so could I get 300 quality jumps in a year?

Yes and Yes

B|

True - but not many. Very dependent on location.
Where are you going to live?
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Alba-Mike

I would like to visit NZ on a working holiday visa - still want to progress my skydiving skills.
Im from Scotland so anything better than jumping at home.
Which dz in the north island is best & same with the South which is best?

Couple around Auckland are good for the north island. In the south, Motueka. Outside of that, sport skydiving at any decent level is fairly rare here. A lot of the DZ's are primarily tandem shops and while you will get jumps, don't expect anything remotely approaching the better european DZ's, there just isn't the jumping population to support it.

I was there in September on a skydiving/snowboard holiday the sports scene certainly lacks from what I saw. I visited motueka, New zealand Skydiving school (methven) and skydiving kiwis (rangitata).

I only jumped once at motueka, seemed like a cool DZ. I was a bit annoyed that only one load went up on a perfect friday due to lack of jumpers however. The weather closed in that weekend so I didn't have time to give it more of a chance.

I didn't get to jump at NZSS due to weather and apparently this is pretty common. It is situated at the base of mt hutt pretty much so you get all that nasty weather that comes with mountains. When I was there it was 15 knots on the ground and 40 knots at 3k. Chatting to the students it seems they only get 5-10 good days a month. It is also a school at the end of the day so no drinking or the like at the DZ. Seems like a good DZ, good people, good facilities just a terrible spot :S

Skydiving kiwis was my pick while I was there. Its only a small DZ, but size isn't everything. Lee seems to be one of the few DZ owners that still has his heart in sports jumping in NZ from what I saw. Hes also a badass freeflyer if you want coaching. Fuck work mondays are the best day, usually all the students from NZSS come down for the day (it is closed mondays).

Don't bother with the rest on the south island - pure tandem mills!

To the OP... Fox Glacier may be the most beautiful place on earth to jump. Mountains, sea, glacier all visible.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Rstanley0312

To the OP... Fox Glacier may be the most beautiful place on earth to jump. Mountains, sea, glacier all visible.

I'd go with this. One of my favorite jumps ever was lurking my wife's tandem here.