glorious_alien

Unexpected fear getting a hold of me before my AFF cat. B jump

Dear Friends,

Off the bat, I am a problematic AFF student who needs some advice. Please forgive my low number of jumps and high level of anxiety, but I really need some feedback...

OK, here is the story:

I did a tandem jump and for some reason it did not give me any high whatsoever. There was initial terror since I was deathly afraid of heights. But after we dove into the sky, it was rather uneventful. So for several days after I don't give it much thought, and on day 5 I purchase 7 jumps and a ground school class. And all this is like an episode of "the Outer Limits": I see myself dialing the number, inquiring about the school, giving my credit card info over the phone. And then I return into my body thinking: what the hell did I just do?

Anyway, exactly 1 week after the tandem jump, I am in ground school class. I pass it fine, then have to wait until 7 pm to do my cat. A. I get to 14,000ft and I freak at the thought that I will be ripped out of the plane, and I am not ready for that scenario. Idiotic, I know. I land with the plane.

Three days pass, I am on the manifest. Second ride of the day, I am on it, cool as a cucumber, the jump goes really well. I can't do the next one because the manifest is bursting with tandem jumpers. Again, no feelings at all about the jump itself. And no, I am not on beta blockers.

Two days later, as I am getting into the plane, I start wondering why the heck I want to jump - I don't get anything out of it. I should have stayed on the ground instead of wasting my jump. But I go up in hopes that I will be ok, but at 14K ft I decide that I don't dig it and land with the plane.

At this point I am completely disgusted with myself, resolve to work through this. OK, emotionally I am ready, happy to jump, can't wait. Get on the manifest, ready as can be. The door opens at 14K ft and I get hit with this massive panic attack. All the while my brain is fine and ready, but my body is frantic. I land with the plane.

OK, 3 wasted jumps, plenty of desire to skydive, can anybody please tell me what the hell is happening to me? I am thinking about taking a xanax or a beta blocker before the jump. I realize that this is an ill-timed fight-or-flight crap my body is tossing my way, but I don't need it. I am dying to jump!!!

Thoughts???

I cant offer any advise re your question, but I do wonder why you want to jump.
You say "I don't get anything out of it" and "no feelings at all about the jump itself", but then later you say "I am dying to jump"
Why??
Skydiving isn't for everyone, you should be doing something you really enjoy.
You seem to have either no feelings at all, which I might guess is something to do with information overload, or you have complete panic.

And all this is like an episode of "the Outer Limits": I see myself dialing the number, inquiring about the school, giving my credit card info over the phone. And then I return into my body thinking: what the hell did I just do?

weird huh wondering did i just do that get in that same zone on the plane make yourself jump despite your fear or desire on AFF with two instructors is when you will find out if you can do it >>>YOU CAN good luck

I cant offer any advise re your question, but I do wonder why you want to jump.
You say "I don't get anything out of it" and "no feelings at all about the jump itself", but then later you say "I am dying to jump"
Why??
Skydiving isn't for everyone, you should be doing something you really enjoy.
You seem to have either no feelings at all, which I might guess is something to do with information overload, or you have complete panic.

Well, that's just how I usually process most things in my emotional life: "Repression is all the rave these days. What you don't face can't crush you". (House, M.D.) The jumps were uneventful probably because my mind was ruling the ball. And after I realized that, I felt enormous joy at the thought of being in the sky again. Only to be smashed by my body's strange response. I've never had that sort of fear in my entire life.

Those mixed feelings are not uncommon at all, early on.

Why do I want to do this? Is this a good idea? My money might be better spent some other way? What is really the point?

The door opens and you jump out. For a few seconds it all makes sense. Then later, the confusion takes over again.

Find the threads by Namowal and look at her cartoons. She sums it up well.

http://tailotherat.blogspot.com/

Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I too question why do you want to jump?

Sounds like to me you may have an underlying anxiety disorder......BTW I am not a doctor just an observation.

No, I don't recommend that you take a Xanax before any jump as they could/may interfere with your thought process.

During my first few AFF jumps I too used to wonder "What the hell am I doing jumping out of a plane...but I had a reward attached to the risk that I knew I was taking.

Not quite sure what is going on with you but I would reevaluate why you are jumping in the first place.

Don't know if i was any help but this is just my observation and opinion.

Bry
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

well if you REALLY want to jump then you need to figure out how to deal with this. If you are a logical person, then you need to overcome the "irrational fear" you are having, eg, you will not "get ripped out of the plane" its easy to hold onto the rails outside with one hand. After all its going slower than most motorcycles. Talk to your instructors, understand everything that is going on, maybe you can conquer your fear through knowledge.

The repression might be a problem if you have mal tho. you need to DEAL WITH the problem not ignore it.

well if you REALLY want to jump then you need to figure out how to deal with this. If you are a logical person, then you need to overcome the "irrational fear" you are having, eg, you will not "get ripped out of the plane" its easy to hold onto the rails outside with one hand. After all its going slower than most motorcycles. Talk to your instructors, understand everything that is going on, maybe you can conquer your fear through knowledge.

The repression might be a problem if you have mal tho. you need to DEAL WITH the problem not ignore it.

well, the "ripped out of the plane" scenario seemed laughable the next day. If anything, altitude is a friend. Arch, relax, pull, if you have to. That's how I dealt with that.

But this pure physical terror is something completely new to me. And now I am thinking that I can overcome that by remembering that I can pull at any time, should I feel the need.

As I typed this, my BP is 135 over 110 (and normally it is 90 over 60). There is definitely something going on physically. It sucks living in a chick's body!

And all this is like an episode of "the Outer Limits": I see myself dialing the number, inquiring about the school, giving my credit card info over the phone. And then I return into my body thinking: what the hell did I just do?

weird huh wondering did i just do that get in that same zone on the plane make yourself jump despite your fear or desire on AFF with two instructors is when you will find out if you can do it >>>YOU CAN good luck

Funky suggestion, but I really dig it! It would be nice to try...

I don't think it's "Living in a chicks body" that is making your B/P rocket......with your thought process I think if you were a guy the same thing would happen:)

Mind over matter???

RELAX!!!!!

Bry

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

I don't think it's "Living in a chicks body" that is making your B/P rocket......with your thought process I think if you were a guy the same thing would happen:)

Mind over matter???

RELAX!!!!!

Bry

Crikey, it's like there are two of me: one that is in my mind - all cool and ready for anything, and the other one that is taking up the neck-down portion and is ridiculously afraid.

I don't have any anxiety in other areas of life, I am a buddhist, for Pete's sake! :-) This is pure physiology that I need to squash. I am thinking about beta blockers. They turn down the fight-or-flight response and are often used to combat stage fright.

Often the second jump is scarier than the first. Especially when no tandems involved, then it becomes more mixed up. In the days of only static line training the first jump is blind faith. You drove out to the DZ, having maybe seen one or two demos and jumping on Ripcord, trained, geared up and went up and jumped. The second was often not the same day and you had time to think about what you had done and what might have happened.

I went for a 100 or more jumps where I'd almost turn around on the way to the DZ for the weekend. In those days we went out for the weekend and camped. I say to myself 'why am I doing this.. I don't want to do this.' I'd force myself to do the first jump of the weekend and then I'd say to myself 'THAT's WHY I DO IT!'. That was 32 years ago.

Some people are in tears in the door on the step and often have another reason for jumping. Sometimes because boyfriend/girlfriend or potential does and they think they need to also. My girlfriend in the 80's made 4 static line jumps, in tears, until I convinced her she REALLY didn't need to be a jumper.

Figure out which you are. First, keep going as long as your performing the jumps well. If the second, maybe time to stop.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Yes, being a flight medic I am very familiar with the use of beta-blocker to control anxiety.

Here is a question though. Do you really want to rely on a drug to do something that should be fun for you to begin with?

The first few jumps are usually the scariest and most thought provoking on the subject of "What the hell am I doing!!!??!!"

Bry

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Often the second jump is scarier than the first. Especially when no tandems involved, then it becomes more mixed up. In the days of only static line training the first jump is blind faith. You drove out to the DZ, having maybe seen one or two demos and jumping on Ripcord, trained, geared up and went up and jumped. The second was often not the same day and you had time to think about what you had done and what might have happened.

I went for a 100 or more jumps where I'd almost turn around on the way to the DZ for the weekend. In those days we went out for the weekend and camped. I say to myself 'why am I doing this.. I don't want to do this.' I'd force myself to do the first jump of the weekend and then I'd say to myself 'THAT's WHY I DO IT!'. That was 32 years ago.

Some people are in tears in the door on the step and often have another reason for jumping. Sometimes because boyfriend/girlfriend or potential does and they think they need to also. My girlfriend in the 80's made 4 static line jumps, in tears, until I convinced her she REALLY didn't need to be a jumper.

Figure out which you are. First, keep going as long as your performing the jumps well. If the second, maybe time to stop.

What are my reasons for jumping? To me, not enjoying skydiving is like disliking sex. What am I doing wrong?

And no, I am not doing this for a romantic anything. And at this point this is a battle with myself. I am repulsed at my ridiculous behavior. And my lovely AFF instructor thought that I was a promising student after my cat. A jump... I guess she was just being kind.

it IS weird to be feeling like a loser after a life of being an overachiever...

Yes, being a flight medic I am very familiar with the use of beta-blocker to control anxiety.

Here is a question though. Do you really want to rely on a drug to do something that should be fun for you to begin with?

The first few jumps are usually the scariest and most thought provoking on the subject of "What the hell am I doing!!!??!!"

Bry

I was looking into Atenolol, and only for a couple of jumps, to just get over this, and not for the long run at all! It is just so bizzare - to be hit with this pure physiological fear. I have NEVER experienced this in my entire life! The whole skydiving adventure has turned into a major self-discovery, and that's another reason why I can't just give it up.

it IS weird to be feeling like a loser after a life of being an overachiever...

you need to stop that kind of thinking first of all otherwise you'll be putting more pressure on yourself. Your first jump probably was very good, you need to relax.

This is supposed to be fun, not some kind of personal mission.

Most people get scared jumping out of planes, after all, they are jumping out of planes.

You mention Buddhism, maybe try a good meditation session before you go up. I don't subscribe to the fact that your mind wants to jump but your body doesn't. your mind controls your body, if your body doesn't want to jump, its because your mind wont let it.

I don't have any answers, just some thoughts on newbies & the Door Monster.

Can you convince yourself that things will turn out OK because you have learned all the necessary steps properly?
That the fear is irrelevant and has to be pushed through? Fear can of course be useful in life but here you need to learn to ignore some fear, if you can't find something specific that it is helping warn you about. Similar to someone's prior advice, work on using logic to convince yourself that while it is a little scary, throwing yourself out of a plane and surviving is something that humans can manage due to following certain processes.

Keeping your mind busy can help -- it might help if your instructors can be interacting with you more than usual while the door opens (whether for you or others first). You don't want to have time to think about what you are going to do, you want to already be in action, whether that's shouting responses to the instructors' last minute queries, or moving in an organized way with your instructors towards the door.

You want to be standing at the edge of the door before you know it, at a point where it really makes no sense to do anything other than your exit count and go skydive.

Its fine to be afraid of skydiving. It is NOT the same as not liking sex. "pick your theory here and take it to SC" made you like sex. you were also made to fear falling. Skydiving is NOT for everyone. But just because you are afraid doesn't mean it isn't for you.

Of course I know folks afraid of height but not afraid of skydiving. Fear of heights is fear of falling. Skydiving you intend to fall so nothing to be afraid of!;)

Forget drugs for this fear.

Just wait till you hit the gear fear stage.:):P

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE