1 1
brenthutch

Latest from the IPCC

17 hours ago, Coreece said:

Says to take care of your own backyard first, then immediately proceeds to tell Brent how his family can take care of their own backyard, first.

Typical liberal.

Unlike typical conservatives, who promote legislation telling women what they can and can't do with their own bodies, and want to interfere with what people do in their own bedrooms, all the while whining about government interference.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, billvon said:

The difference may be in the fundamental difference in how conservatives vs liberals see families.

To a conservative, Brent effectively is his family.  He determines what people drive, what they do, and how they live.  So when Gowlerk talks about what Brent's family might do, Coreece sees it as telling Brent what to do with his family.

What I saw was someone talking about "taking care of their own backyard first."  That is typically followed by how they're actually doing that.  For example, a truck driver might say they're buying an electric semi, but in the past Gowlerk said that would make his job too difficult.  And while that is a perfectly reasonable excuse, at least he'd still have a job.  Others won't be so lucky and might find themselves out of work, with their own tax dollars subsidizing the competition.

So anyway, since Ken The Dinosaur Trucker can't list any examples of his own, he focuses on Brent "The Dinosaur Dad."

22 hours ago, billvon said:

I knew a few families back in the 1980's who fit the first interpretation, but none lately.  I'm sure they exist, though.

Don't look at me.  At 22 I left a $121k/yr  job (adjusted for inflation) for my son's mother.  She said she was lonely and afraid when I was gone, but she was also advanced in age (30 years) so we decided I'd become a pioneer as a stay at home dad so she can focus on her career. (and we'd be together everyday)  It was the greatest experience of my life and I appreciated every moment of it.  (except that one time when she was upset that I didn't have dinner ready, lmao)  Just doing my part to narrow the gender wage gap, I guess.  Beats bitching about some imaginary misogynistic patriarchy holding women down.

A while later, I landed my dream job traveling as a photographer/editor, primarily for the Outdoor channel. As time went by she wanted to move to California to start her own business.  I was happy where I was at, but was up for the adventure.  Again, just doing my part to narrow the wage gap, I guess.

But I suppose I would've had to draw the line somewhere. If my 5yr old son had said he wanted to be a pirate, I doubt I would pluck his eye out, give him a patch and dress him in a silly outfit with a sword. Not that any of that would actually make him a pirate of course. He'd still be just a little boy, but without an eye and dressed in a silly outfit - all because I "respected his independence" so much that I let some shill convince me to abuse him in this way so as not to kill himself.

17 minutes ago, Coreece said:

What I saw was someone talking about "taking care of their own backyard first."  That is typically followed by how they're actually doing that.  For example, a truck driver might say they're buying an electric semi, but in the past Gowlerk said that would make his job too difficult.  And while that is a perfectly reasonable excuse, at least he'd still have a job.  Others won't be so lucky and might find themselves out of work, with their own tax dollars subsidizing the competition.

So anyway, since Ken The Dinosaur Trucker can't list any examples of his own, he focuses on Brent "The Dinosaur Dad."

Don't look at me.  At 22 I left a $121k/yr  job (adjusted for inflation) for my son's mother.  She said she was lonely and afraid when I was gone, but she was also advanced in age (30 years) so we decided I'd become a pioneer as a stay at home dad so she can focus on her career. (and we'd be together everyday)  It was the greatest experience of my life and I appreciated every moment of it.  (except that one time when she was upset that I didn't have dinner ready, lmao)  Just doing my part to narrow the gender wage gap, I guess.  Beats bitching about some imaginary misogynistic patriarchy holding women down.

A while later, I landed my dream job traveling as a photographer/editor, primarily for the Outdoor channel. As time went by she wanted to move to California to start her own business.  I was happy where I was at, but was up for the adventure.  Again, just doing my part to narrow the wage gap, I guess.

But I suppose I would've had to draw the line somewhere. If my 5yr old son had said he wanted to be a pirate, I doubt I would pluck his eye out, give him a patch and dress him in a silly outfit with a sword. Not that any of that would actually make him a pirate of course. He'd still be just a little boy, but without an eye and dressed in a silly outfit - all because I "respected his independence" so much that I let some shill convince me to abuse him in this way so as not to kill himself.

Thank you for this post. Suddenly I feel a bit less obtuse.

3 hours ago, Coreece said:

And then mentions that he still has hope that the rest of his family will make different choices, even if he doesn't.  I agree.

Don't look at me.

I was not trying to imply that you are like this, or suggest what your life experience is, merely that there conservatives and liberals have different views on how families work.

If my 5yr old son had said he wanted to be a pirate, I doubt I would pluck his eye out, give him a patch and dress him in a silly outfit with a sword. Not that any of that would actually make him a pirate of course. He'd still be just a little boy, but without an eye and dressed in a silly outfit - all because I "respected his independence" so much that I let some shill convince me to abuse him in this way so as not to kill himself.

Yep.

But let's take a more realistic scenario.  Let's say your son was born with a minor birth defect.  Nothing big, just something he gets made fun of for occasionally.  But he does take it quite personally.  And when he's 5 he cries constantly about it.  And when he's 10 he tries to kill himself for the first time.  At age 11 he almost succeeds.

I have a feeling you would try to get him help, perhaps see a psychiatrist.  And if the psychiatrist told you that he'd worked a lot of these cases before, and plastic surgery had been successful in other such cases when nothing else worked, I bet you'd even consider it.

Not because you are OK with him "cutting off his face" (or whatever colorful adjective you wanted to use for the plastic surgery.)  Not because you "respect his independence."   Not because you want to let the surgeon abuse him.  Not because you think that people with birth defects are inferior.  But because you love him and you don't want to see him kill himself, or live a lifetime of self-loathing and misery.

• Like 2