potatoman

80Kts plus top drift

Heard someone telling me they jumped from 10k, out of a cessna, at 80+ Kts wind speed. The craft was basically standing still over the DZ, and made for a "fun" skydive. Yet, there was very little wind below 5k.

Have you had wind speeds this high on top, and whats your feel on it?
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

potatoman

Heard someone telling me they jumped from 10k, out of a cessna, at 80+ Kts wind speed. The craft was basically standing still over the DZ, and made for a "fun" skydive. Yet, there was very little wind below 5k.

Just last night I was flying at 2500' with a 25kt headwind...

Of course, I was just screwing around, so I turned around and got a 25kt tail wind.:D

At 80kts I wouldn't jump right over the dz, but so long as the winds lower (say 6k and below) are generally the same directions and the ground winds are good, I've got no problem jumping.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

can remember some in the 60's

don't know what you mean by "feel on it", it felt like air

it the pilot knows the wind speeds are real high they won't go much downwind and exit separations are critical, 15-20 seconds or more can be needed
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

LOL, just your take on it, what you found on it etc.

60's....Kts or 1960's. B|

You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.

potatoman

I did a jump from 22,000 and in the 19,000-16,000 range we were drifting over 60 MPH, peaking at 80 MPH.

It felt fine. I have noticed tracking or flying a wingsuit that if you hit a layer of air moving fast in a different direction, you can feel it. It will suddenly change your heading, under some conditions. It's a buffeting, sort of feeling.

[inline drift.jpg]
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Suppose if you were to track into wind, ground speed will be low, but then going with the wind, it would look like you are a super tracker.B|

potatoman

Whilst every pilot has at one time or another experienced higher winds at altitude, this makes for freaky conditions on the surface. 80 at 10? And Light on the ground push's my skepticism button.

Never mind the fact that we are trying to educate skydivers about wind conditions????

If I saw 80 at ten in the forecast or current conditions, this is more , much , much more than a little red flag...:S

C

There is nothing "fun" about taking these kinds of risks and the potential for major shear and rotors...
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

I've had times where we had 70mph uppers and little on the ground. Had to give everybody a lot of time for separation. Another time all the way down to 1500 everyone was backing up under canopy with 30mph+ winds, but nice on the ground so we kept jumping and just didn't rush back to the pattern. But all those times they did put the jumping on b license and c license holds and no students were allowed.

A few times I have been on load where we had 30 seconds between groups with the pilot calling the exits for each group. One load each group got a seperate pass - I think the uppers were 80ish knots on that one.
Not common but not exactly rare to see the uppers hauling ass with perfect conditions on the ground...

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...