billvon

Honoring MLK

Martin Luther King was perhaps the most woke civil rights leader in American history.  He brought visibility to the discrimination and oppression that black people in the US faced, and risked his life (and ultimately lost it) to try to change that.  Hopefully his legacy will live on, and will be expressed by confronting the remaining injustices that black people face, and the injustices that other minorities (gay, trans, disabled, immigrants) face here as well.

• Like 5

On 1/16/2024 at 5:41 PM, Phil1111 said:

His legacy is mostly gone. A casualty of MAGA, GOP propaganda.

RIP Mr. King you tried your best.

“Trump allows people to express their racism and bigotry a way that they haven’t been able to in quite a while and they really love him for that. It’s a shocking thing to realize people love their hatred more than they care about their own actual lives.” - Fran Lebowitz

• Like 1

I doubt that his legacy is really almost done.  I hope that what we are seeing happen, which provides much of the "dark energy" that Trump is channeling, is a convulsive last gasp of the old attitudes that were so inflamed by Obama's election.  I sometimes wonder how much people's values can really change as they age.  If you were raised immersed in racist ideals, can you really leave those behind or do people just learn how to disguise it?  Anyway I think fewer and fewer people have grown up surrounded by Jim Crow values, although I know there is still some of that in circulation.  Real change takes generations.

• Like 1