DrDom

Advice on rig purchase...

Hey guys,
So, a friend of mine has an extra rig at his house that is owned by a friend that he used to coach but no longer skydives due to no local DZ. It has well under 100 jumps on it. Currently I'm a student typically jumping a Nav260 (my weight is 180 so they exit me 210 +/-). The rig will NOT be for my student status but I was going to purchase it first to practice packing on the off season and later would consider using it for my first downsize... the problem is that its a Nav230. I do not know MUCH about canopies but I'm aware that the Navigator series is really more a student canopy. Loaded just under 1:1 would this be a good transition canopy since it will put me from <0.8 to around 0.9?

Its hard to pass up a complete rig with AAD, 2 essentially new canopies, and all the other bells and whistles found with new gear. And its going cheap.

I'm looking for input or if I should just find a used canopy that is no longer in service and a Dbag and just practice packing on that.

Thanks for your time!
You are not the contents of your wallet.

Navs are typically student canopies but they'll get you on the ground same as anything else. If you decide you want something sportier you could always put something else (Second-hand Sabre 1 :-) in the rig. You could jump it until you get tired of the nav and probably down-size to a Sabre 210 in the same rig.

A Nav 220 actually felt fairly sporty to me when I tried one at a wing loading of a hair over 1.1 to 1 (1.12 or something like that.)
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

Navs are typically student canopies but they'll get you on the ground same as anything else. If you decide you want something sportier you could always put something else (Second-hand Sabre 1 :-) in the rig. You could jump it until you get tired of the nav and probably down-size to a Sabre 210 in the same rig.

A Nav 220 actually felt fairly sporty to me when I tried one at a wing loading of a hair over 1.1 to 1 (1.12 or something like that.)

I do not actually know the story of why a Nav was th owner's choice...he was off student status and may have been licensed. He apparrently was a bit "larger" than I so maybe his wingloading was 1:1 or so... My friend said he is too small for the leg straps to fully cinch tightly... yikes...

anyhow, its complete with a Vigil as well, I do not know the reserve ("as long as it opens and lands I care naught"). So... I don't know... I'm not into the concept of swooping so am just wondering if this may be a reasonable purchase for a diver who is in it more for the joy of being in the sky than anything high performance...

I just love that view...

I do not know the reserve ("as long as it opens and lands I care naught")

I guess you've never heard about the old Micro Ravens then... :P This is a perfect example of "you don't what you don't know" about gear at this point. ;)

If you have money to plop down on a rig, you have money to fly south, get licensed, do tunnel, and actually learn to use the gear rather than just stare at it on the floor while the AAD slowly times out.

No need to put the cart before the horse IMO.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

If you only have 7 jumps and on a Nav 260 you may even downsize before you get off AFF. Like you said a Nav 230 will still keep you below 1.0:1 there really is no reason to call it a problem just because of that. The real question is what size is the container? Is there room to downsize the canopy once you want to or is it maxed out with a 230? Something to think about for the future is that will be a hard canopy to sell.

I was 180-185 when I was learning. I got off AFF jumping a 210-230 did a few more jumps on a 190 and then got a 188 Pilot. I think this is a pretty normal progression and see a lot of people doing something like this. If I was you I would wait a little bit longer before you buy anything. What if you get down to a 210 on your AFF jumps and really like that size? It would suck to upsize after you get of your licence jumps. Try to jump a few other canopies, you might find something you like more.

Thanks guys, this is great food for thought.

Money isnt much of an option (I know thats terrible to say, but I make plenty of money and am basically a minimalist so... I have money and very few "things" with no real substantial debt) so it was more a question of getting something much below retail from someone who doesnt want it.

I know not much about the container itself... I'll have to ask.

Much food for thought here, thank you!

What size is the reserve?

The Navigator doesn't come in a 230... you mean 220? Even so, it should do you well.

You could use it for the first 100 or so jumps while you're learning how to fly well and then; change it out for a similar cubic-inch sized Sabre, Safire, pilot or other.

And, you may choose to keep the entire Nav system as a backup rig and in a couple of years or a 1000 jumps (whichever comes first) get an entire new setup as your primary.

Food for thought.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

What size is the reserve?

The Navigator doesn't come in a 230... you mean 220? Even so, it should do you well.

You could use it for the first 100 or so jumps while you're learning how to fly well and then; change it out for a similar cubic-inch sized Sabre, Safire, pilot or other.

And, you may choose to keep the entire Nav system as a backup rig and in a couple of years or a 1000 jumps (whichever comes first) get an entire new setup as your primary.

Food for thought.

Discrepancy in their description then, I'll have to ask
trying to find out the reserve, thats a big part of it.

I'm not too into high speed canopy work but I need something safe to jump without overly undersized...

I guess much will ride on the reserve more than anything....

Piece of mind, having your own, priceless :)

What size reserve?

Dude, just pm me, I think I'm not to far away, for a bit, you can practice packing my rig, ery time after I use it.

Call CPI
and see what your status is if they can provide a coach for your jumps, winter in CT isn't all that bad.

How much BTW?

C

there are lots of folks in the Essex area that can give yo a packing lesson, and then some, if your up for it...

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

ChrisD

Piece of mind, having your own, priceless :)

What size reserve?

Dude, just pm me, I think I'm not to far away, for a bit, you can practice packing my rig, ery time after I use it.

Call CPI
and see what your status is if they can provide a coach for your jumps, winter in CT isn't all that bad.

How much BTW?

C

there are lots of folks in the Essex area that can give yo a packing lesson, and then some, if your up for it...

Waiting on the info on the reserve. Thats a big part of the equation.
I'm in NH, where are you, ChrisD? I may take you up on packing once I learn (practice makes perfect).
I still need to get an AFFI to get me current and also pass Level 7, deal with door fear, etc etc etc. I was waiting until the spring and finishing my private pilot license in the meantime... I figure worst event I'll drive jumpers if I cant get my nerve back. I'm hoping just being constantly exposed to altitude will make it all easier.

ChrisD

Give CPI a Call,

ask for Lindsay...

+1 on CPI. I'm having a blast there. They have AFFIs (call, ask, but I'm sure they'll arrange something, they're super nice), and you get to jump out of Cessnas for the winter, which to me - a member of the newer spoiled generation with huge Twin Otters- is so like... badass old days!
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Di0

***Give CPI a Call,

ask for Lindsay...

+1 on CPI. I'm having a blast there. They have AFFIs (call, ask, but I'm sure they'll arrange something, they're super nice), and you get to jump out of Cessnas for the winter, which to me - a member of the newer spoiled generation with huge Twin Otters- is so like... badass old days!

Hmmm it's a consideration

Is it bad that I LIKE jumping a Cessna? My best 2 jumps (5&6) were from one. I worry about hitting that step but otherwise I feel like the Cessna jumps were more... Intimate. Was just the 3 of us crunched in that tin can...