1 1
billvon

Merry Christmas everyone

30 minutes ago, kallend said:

Early Life and Family

Newton was born on January 4, 1643, in Woolsthorpe, Lincolnshire, England. Using the "old" Julian calendar, Newton's birth date is sometimes displayed as December 25, 1642.

At least I know where the confusion is coming from now.

Edited by gowlerk
Edited to make myself look less foolish. Apparently my usual sources can not agree on Newton'd birthdate. So what the hell let's just celebrate it today.

On 12/25/2023 at 8:22 AM, gowlerk said:

Early Life and Family

Newton was born on January 4, 1643, in Woolsthorpe, Lincolnshire, England. Using the "old" Julian calendar, Newton's birth date is sometimes displayed as December 25, 1642.

At least I know where the confusion is coming from now.

We are more certian of Newton's birthday than Jesus's.  There is much more confusion about when Jesus was born (assuming he really existed) and was it really a virgin birth (you'd thnk Mark, John and Paul might just have mentioned it in their writings)?  More than likely it was in the spring, or in September.  Dec 25 was established by papal fiat around 350CE to inherit the existing solstice celebrations.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kallend said:

We are more certian of Newton's birthday than Jesus's.  There is much more confusion about when Jesus was born (assuming he really existed) and was it really a virgin birth (you'd thnk Mark, John and Paul might just have mentioned it in their writings)?  More than likely it was in the spring, or in September.  Dec 25 was established by papal fiat around 350CE to inherit the existing solstice celebrations.

What's even weirder is how the date of his death is calculated and celebrated. There is a strangeness overall to the holy death cult.

8 hours ago, gowlerk said:

What's even weirder is how the date of his death is calculated and celebrated. There is a strangeness overall to the holy death cult.

What's 'weird' about it?

It's the first Friday after the first full moon after the Spring Equinox. 

Which makes perfect sense if you understand the importance of the spring fertility festivals for the Northern European Pagans. 

The Easter Bunny, Easter eggs, even the name "Easter" (derived from "Ishtar").

All just as Pagan as the Christmas Tree, Yule Log, even jolly old Satan Claus.

• Like 1