justinbaker27

Buying my first new Main/Reserve need advice?

lyosha

Yeah wow I just tried finding a non-nav in 280 sq. ft and the smallest other parachutes go is 260 :X

Try looking at this site. The Startrac series. I have a couple thousand on their Sharpchuter 245. In fact that is my canopy in the picture.

Sparky

http://www.flightconceptsint.com/classic/7-cell-classic
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Thanks, I looked on Mirage's site and didn't see the TSO, I did see that it was rated for low speed aircraft.

I guess I assumed wrong that all the TSO's had a weight limit along with speed.

So just for my own knowledge, is it 23b has a speed limit, 23c has the 254 lbs weight limit and speed limit, and then 23d has the 300 lb limit and speed limit?

justme12001

It's actually 1.05, but that said you should be fine at that wingloading.

Us bigger guys tend to be a little better at being at a slightly higher wingloading than the little skinny folks that break easy :) that is assuming you are an in shape 265 and not a tubby 265.......just my $.02

My only question is, is your rig TSO'd for your weight?

Larger canopies tend to be slightly more docile, because their lines are longer.

justme12001

Thanks, I looked on Mirage's site and didn't see the TSO, I did see that it was rated for low speed aircraft.

I guess I assumed wrong that all the TSO's had a weight limit along with speed.

So just for my own knowledge, is it 23b has a speed limit, 23c has the 254 lbs weight limit and speed limit, and then 23d has the 300 lb limit and speed limit?

Correct!
Mirages are certified under TSO C23B, low speed category.
However that is largely a paper-work limitation, because when they redesigned the Mirage series - during the 1990s - they made their harnesses considerably stronger. Jeff Johnston (sp?) showed me the data from a series of drop-tests they did on PD's tower. The data showed that a ringed Mirage harness easily absorbed all the hard openings in the standard category. Jeff explained that is because Type 8 webbing stretches a bit more than Type 7. Two layers of Type 8 (4,000 pounds plus 4,000 pounds equal 8,000 pounds total strength of the main lift web) end up stronger than one layer of Type 7 (6,000 pounds minimum breaking strength).

On a related note, Al MacDonald found that when he started installing hip rings on Sidewinders, his harnesses got 15 percent stronger. This is because the rings allow the upper leg strap to align exactly with the load, instead of taking all the load on the top stitch/end of the upper leg strap.

Best reply I saw here. There's advice--and then there's advice.
When you're sitting in the harness of an undersized canopy for your weight and experience level--approaching the ground on final and going like a bat outta hell both horizontally and vertically--all that advice about going smaller won't mean a thing because it's your ass that's gonna smack mama earth--not the skygod who sneered at your navigator 280. You can't enjoy skydiving if your either scared to death of landing or lying in a hospital bed. If in doubt, go bigger and more docile--then once you figure things out--change. Steer clear of the skygod's "advice"--they're pretty easy to identify by the company they keep. Find somebody you trust who thinks like you do--and enjoy. Always remember--it's your ass.

justinbaker27

I ordered my Mirage G4 container (M8 model) about 5 weeks ago and it was shipped to me yesterday. Now I need advice on how to fill it. My 1st thought was a PD 281 Reserve, Cypres 2 & PD Navigator 280. This is what the rig was built for size wise (plus 1 size up/down I was told) My basic info/goals. I'm 265lbs with my jumpsuit & helmet on. I enjoy the free fall and practicing safe landings. So I'm not looking to do anything under canopy other than a safe landing for now. I'm still in student status and haven't completed my A license yet. Currently jumping a PD Navigator 300. Based on those weight/goals what would be a good suggestion canopy wise for a big guy like me?

I appreciate your input :)

This might help
http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Gear_and_Equipment/A_Guide_to_Buying_Your_First_Skydiving_Gear_873.html

katzas

Best reply I saw here. There's advice--and then there's advice.
When you're sitting in the harness of an undersized canopy for your weight and experience level--approaching the ground on final and going like a bat outta hell both horizontally and vertically--all that advice about going smaller won't mean a thing because it's your ass that's gonna smack mama earth--not the skygod who sneered at your navigator 280. You can't enjoy skydiving if your either scared to death of landing or lying in a hospital bed. If in doubt, go bigger and more docile--then once you figure things out--change. Steer clear of the skygod's "advice"--they're pretty easy to identify by the company they keep. Find somebody you trust who thinks like you do--and enjoy. Always remember--it's your ass.

Katzas
Thank you very much for your advice I appreciate it and with that being said I agree with you. I think I will go with the Navigator 280 and keep a 1:1 ratio as close as I can