ChrisD

Third Class Medical in the News Again,...

I have owned planes for the last 20 years. On many occasions I have had private pilot friends take myself and a couple of friends up to jump. Some times I footed the fuel bill and other times all of us including the pilot split the fuel bill. I talked to the local FAA Official before doing this 20 years ago and again just a couple of years ago. It is completely legal. Of course we have permission from the land owner , file a NOTAM and are in radio contact with a controller .
I have met several people who do the same thing. It happens more than you might think.

DBCOOPER

No, you got it. The rest of the class doesn't.

Ah yes trolling.... I normally forget people do that here.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

That being said, there is a difference between technicalities and the real world. In the real world it is highly impractical even though it could be done legally. You could have a skydiver leave your airplane while only holding a 3rd class medical.

Could you go over this real slow…..I have no idea what you are saying.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

mjosparky

That being said, there is a difference between technicalities and the real world. In the real world it is highly impractical even though it could be done legally. You could have a skydiver leave your airplane while only holding a 3rd class medical.

Sparky

Heck, I'm willing to bet that ya don't even need a 3rd class if the pilot is flying a LSA category aircraft. :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

THERE ARE NO RULES!!! :D:D

Just kidding.

I suppose if ya got a friend with a jumpable LSA, you could have a go at it. I know the Skycatcher (C162) has swing up doors... but I wouldn't trust them open in flight.

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

theonlyski

Sparky

Heck, I'm willing to bet that ya don't even need a 3rd class if the pilot is flying a LSA category aircraft. :D

Student, Sports and Recreational and Private Pilots all need a 3rd. class medical.

Sparky

mjosparky

Sparky

Student, Sports and Recreational and Private Pilots all need a 3rd. class medical.

Sparky

Sport pilots may use their drivers license in lieu of a medical, so long as they haven't been denied a medical.

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/sportpilots/response2/

theonlyski

Sparky

Sparky

Sport pilots may use their drivers license in lieu of a medical, so long as they haven't been denied a medical.

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/sportpilots/response2/

I stand corrected, I was reading too fast and missed the “or”. Thanks.

Sparky

chemist

Sparky

A student pilot certificate holder does not require a medical, a student only needs the medical to solo.

Unless it's a balloon, glider or LSA category airplane. ;):P

theonlyski

Sparky

A student pilot certificate holder does not require a medical, a student only needs the medical to solo.

you can solo a glider with a denied medical

EDIT: I see what you mean, yea you only need medical to solo powered aircraft.

chemist

Sparky

Which means they have no medical, right?

I believe it's the same for the balloon. Gliders and balloons aren't subject to the medical requirements.

I get the feeling you just HAVE to have the last word, so knock yourself out. I have no interest in going back and forth arguing semantics about the medical requirements a damn blimp.

chemist

Sparky

FALSE. You can fly a powered light sport aircraft without a medical.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ron

Sparky

FALSE. You can fly a powered light sport aircraft without a medical.

You can fly motor glider with a revoked medical.

mjosparky

You can fly any aircraft you want without a med. of any kind. Just don’t get caught.

Sparky

THIS!

I know this is tongue and cheek, at least I hope so.
But you have set the stage to illustrate what I am trying to say about the business nature of skydiving. Ti's can no longer jest or make these kinds of comments. That's just the way it is. How the skyride industry is perceived is more important than ever. This isn't something that can be changed overnight when every one is under the impression that TI's need a medical because we need to something about their behavior. The public will be protected in a regulatory sense, that is already here, that there is a no better solution than having a Third class medical isn't debatable.

It's like that cop show when the sleazy detective walks up to the innocent person and says something like:

" If your innocent, you have nothing to hide, so just answer the questions." The implication is made, raise questions about someone's motives, or raise an issue by asking a question in a certain way.

And then answer it like a jerk.? (:)
Every time someone proposes or argues that a mandatory medical isn't needed, they are holding up a sign to the forces that actually control our sport.

Every time someone, well meaning or not says something like we only have the required medical because of a perceived DUI issue, or whatever form this takes,...

your providing all the justification "they" need to increase further draconian regulations.

This seems to be a concept that many have a problem understanding.

Don't come back with we don't need medicals period. Don't come back with statements like the "few have spoiled it for the rest of us," ...those days are gone.

Don't come back with we could do this or do that, because it isn't going to happen.

All we can do at this point is embrace the fact that we have something in place, that works, and hope that we all can increase the acceptance and enforcement for the betterment of skydiving's future.

C
And again no disrespect to mjosparky, but others watch this forum and all your doing is reinforcing the idea that skydivers can not control themselves.

Future discussions about the required medical exams should only reference the benefits to skydiving and how to implement the process in a more streamlined manner.

And please, I know yo mean well, but referencing DUI and Third class medical in the same sentence or paragraph is in fact holding up a (Jeff Foxworthy ) sign.
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Every time someone proposes or argues that a mandatory medical isn't needed, they are holding up a sign to the forces that actually control our sport.

The forces that actually control our sport (The FAA) already know a medical is not needed to be a TI.... Or to teach people to fly a balloon, or to teach people to fly a glider, or to teach people to fly light sport aircraft.

All the USPA is doing by requiring it is telling the FAA that they should look at skydiving more because skydivers seem to have a drinking problem so bad that we have to require things the FAA does not require.

So you can blame the USPA for both the un-needed higher standard AND making the FAA wonder if skydiving should be closer regulated due to drinking problems.

normiss

My demo ramp checks by the FAA, when doing tandems at the events, is ALWAYS: "Your medical too please."

At least they "ask." :S

On a personal note perhaps some one could enlighten me about the USPA. I have always thought that the USPA is us? Get enough "votes" and the organization moves in this direction or that direction. And ya there is going to be a minority that isn't happy, it's kind of the nature of a democratic organization.

I personally like the idea of the USPA doing what it has to too protect skydiving, but when some just toss out suggestions about how to make this or that better, my first reaction is how are we going to pay for this? How could we implement it? I mean from an outsiders position I see lots of really great suggestions, but I'm not seeing how to make these suggestions happen.

We have, good or bad, the Third class medical requirement, it is easy to implement because the onus and responsibility is upon those who need it. It really doesn't cost the USPA anything. But what is going to be the cost for the reduced requirement idea? Who is going to implement this? Yes I know this point of view frequently leads to the "self declaration" similar to the a-d declaration that exists, but I can't see this happening with tandems.

If someone has a public relations campaign that they want to start to support some changes, and it makes sense for everyone, then put it on the table?

Other than that, and I hope no one takes offence but acceptance of what we have doesn't seem so bad?

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

ChrisD

***My demo ramp checks by the FAA, when doing tandems at the events, is ALWAYS: "Your medical too please."

At least they "ask." :S

On a personal note perhaps some one could enlighten me about the USPA. I have always thought that the USPA is us? Get enough "votes" and the organization moves in this direction or that direction. And ya there is going to be a minority that isn't happy, it's kind of the nature of a democratic organization.

I personally like the idea of the USPA doing what it has to too protect skydiving, but when some just toss out suggestions about how to make this or that better, my first reaction is how are we going to pay for this? How could we implement it? I mean from an outsiders position I see lots of really great suggestions, but I'm not seeing how to make these suggestions happen.

We have, good or bad, the Third class medical requirement, it is easy to implement because the onus and responsibility is upon those who need it. It really doesn't cost the USPA anything. But what is going to be the cost for the reduced requirement idea? Who is going to implement this? Yes I know this point of view frequently leads to the "self declaration" similar to the a-d declaration that exists, but I can't see this happening with tandems.

If someone has a public relations campaign that they want to start to support some changes, and it makes sense for everyone, then put it on the table?

Other than that, and I hope no one takes offence but acceptance of what we have doesn't seem so bad?

CUSPA is only "us" for those who are members.
My guess is that your temporary membership expired over a year ago.
a link to chrisd's only skydive...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynvuaydTebI
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

normiss

My demo ramp checks by the FAA, when doing tandems at the events, is ALWAYS: "Your medical too please."

Only because the USPA requires it. The FAA does not care since the rules changed years ago and it no longer was a test program.

I highly doubt the FAA does anything at the desires of any other group, much less the USPA.
I've never been checked by any USPA official anywhere.
Demo's, tandems, anything, anywhere.
The FAA has clear authoritative oversight at any airshow demo, hence the thorough ramp checks.
Every day at the briefing in the morning.
In full detail.
No USPA in sight.