ChrisD

Third Class Medical in the News Again,...

I also limit my doctor visits. This new law could mean better health for pilots who previously were hesitant to see a doctor in fear of medical refusal.

It will also stimulate the economy. I know a bunch of pilots who have drivers licenses that can't fly because of the FAA rules. Most of them were aircraft owners who bought fuel, up graded their panels, got paint jobs, overhauled engines, paid hanger rent, etc, etc. They can afford an airplane and enjoy their 100 dollar hamburgers. They also enjoyed their Beechcraft Bonanzas and Cessna 180's that took alot more money to keep flying and thus, stimulating the economy more than an LSA. Most of these guys and girls have had to have a waiver to fly before so they can't fly LSA at this time. Some just don't have the patience to jump through the hoops any more.
I hope this goes through. I miss my old airport buddies.

PS, If this goes through, the price of airplanes under 6000lbs could go up.

dzswoop717

PS, If this goes through, the price of airplanes under 6000lbs could go up.

Something I saw interesting about it was it said multi engine airplanes as well as single engine, so long as they have 6 seats or less and under 6000lbs.

That's a LOT of airplanes out there.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

stratostar

"What are YOU in for?"

I had to fifty dollars and pick up the garbage....

But we had fun sitting on the Group W bench, filling out the papers and playing with the pencils.

Dammit. >:(
Beat me to it.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

mjosparky

***I have found if you explain to your primary physician(if you have a good one) about the third class medical, they can prescribe certain drugs and state that it is for something other than what it is usually(or actually) prescribed for.

IE, my wife takes an anti-depressant, but its not for depression, but for her trouble sleeping. Lots of drugs have unusual side effects and can prescribed for those side effects.

If he can be that easily talked into doing something illegal I would be looking for a Dr. with more integrity.:|

Sparky

Doctor loyalty must always be to the patient, not to a full retard government official. If someone was protecting a kid from a bully on the playground you wouldn't say that student lacks integrity, you would applaud him for standing up for the victim. So why would a doctor protecting the patient from an abusive government be considered to lack integrity?

chemist

******I have found if you explain to your primary physician(if you have a good one) about the third class medical, they can prescribe certain drugs and state that it is for something other than what it is usually(or actually) prescribed for.

IE, my wife takes an anti-depressant, but its not for depression, but for her trouble sleeping. Lots of drugs have unusual side effects and can prescribed for those side effects.

If he can be that easily talked into doing something illegal I would be looking for a Dr. with more integrity.:|

Sparky

Doctor loyalty must always be to the patient, not to a full retard government official. If someone was protecting a kid from a bully on the playground you wouldn't say that student lacks integrity, you would applaud him for standing up for the victim. So why would a doctor protecting the patient from an abusive government be considered to lack integrity?

Evidently what they taught you in medical school was a lot different than what they taught me. Saying you are prescribing a drug "for another reason" to bypass the law is unethical, illegal, and if discovered could cause you to lose your license. It also could get you thrown off of insurance carriers which means loss of revenue. There are VERY strict ethical standards that physicains are held to. You may see it as a white lie, the medical board (i.e. other doctors) would see it as a breech of ethics. You can not view government regulation as a bully, you have to view it as a legal standard that we can not violate lest we be both criminal and lacking in ethics and moral character.

Sure, some may do it (i.e. the antidepressant for "sleep"), but its not the right thing to do.

Nobody likes playing by the rules, but asking a doc to lie for you puts us in a bad situation. We don't like to be fun killers, but someone has to be doing the right thing here.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

normiss

Limit the doc visits for sure...the new forms clearly state any incorrect or false information given to the FAA is a federal felony offense.
Ummm...I THINK I went to the doc in April....when in fact it was June. Damn.
"What are YOU in for?"
:D

I've dealt with these issues in my medicolegal meanderings, if you fill out the form to the best of your ability with information you believe to be factual, it actually can't be prosecuted. The clause usually states "any knowingly inaccurate" or something similar. You can make a mistake, as long as you didnt INTENTIONALLY make the mistake. Best to be accurate though.

chemist

******I have found if you explain to your primary physician(if you have a good one) about the third class medical, they can prescribe certain drugs and state that it is for something other than what it is usually(or actually) prescribed for.

Sparky

So you feel that any law or rule you don’t agree with is abusive? Where do you draw the line? We already have established that you would ask someone you barely know to put his future in jeopardy by lying for you, would ask him to help you hide the body?

How did you get from a Dr. lying for you to a kid on the play ground?

Sparky

It has nothing to do with loyalty, but everything to do with character.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I am sure there are other meds that may put a person through more hoops or exclude them too

THIS

I am a 32 year old firefighter, that does MMA 2-3 times a week, hikes 6 miles a couple times a month with a 30 pound ruck sack through the swamp. I drive a firetruck, have a CDL drivers license, but cant get my private pilots license due to having been diagnosed with ADD in the past. I was even off the meds for 90 days before I went to get my class 3 medical. I function totally fine without it, and my prescription even tells me not to take it every day. For a 6 month period I only get 4 refills.

Regardless even if I stop taking the meds, and get cleared by the doctor to not have ADD I still have to spend THOUSANDS to take these tests to prove I have not suffered any eye or neurological damage from taking Vyvance for ADD. Even if I do take all these tests its just supporting data for the flight surgeon, and not a guarantee that I will obtain my medical. All this shit and its not even for commercial flying.

The complete Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scales (Processing Speed and Working Memory Indexes must be scored)
Trail Making Test, Parts A and B (Reitan Trails A & B should be used since aviation norms are available for the original Reitan Trails A & B, but not for similar tests [e.g., Color Trails; Trails from Kaplan-Delis Executive Function, etc.])
Executive function tests to include:
Category Test or Wisconsin Card Sorting Test, and
Stroop Color-Word Test
Paced Auditory Serial Addition Test (PASAT).
A continuous performance test (i.e., Test of Variables of Attention [TOVA], or Conners Continuous Performance Test [CPT-II], or Integrated Visual and Auditory Continuous Performance Test [IVA+]), or Gordon Diagnostic System [GDS].
Test of verbal memory (WMS-IV subtests, Rey Auditory Verbal Learning Test, or California Verbal Learning Test-II).
Test of visual memory (WMS-IV subtests, Brief Visuospatial Memory Test-Revised, or Rey Complex Figure Test).
Tests of Language including Boston Naming Test and Verbal Fluency (COWAT and a semantic fluency task).
Psychomotor testing including Finger Tapping and Grooved Pegboard or Purdue Pegboard.
Personality testing, to include the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI-2). (The MMPI-2-RF is not an approved substitute. All scales, subscales, content, and supplementary scales must be scored and provided. Computer scoring is required. Abbreviated administrations are not acceptable.)
Additional testing: If problems are noted on tests of reading or math, follow-up testing with appropriate achievement tests should be conducted (e.g., Woodcock-Johnson Tests of Achievement-III; Nelson-Denny Reading Test, especially Fluency and Comprehension; WRAT-IV Math; PIAT Reading Comprehension).
CogScreen-Aeromedical Edition (CogScreen-AE) is recommended but not required.

NOTES: (1) All tests administered must be the most current edition of the test unless specified otherwise; (2) At the discretion of the examiner, additional tests may be clinically necessary to assure a complete assessment.

What must be submitted? The neuropsychologist�s report as noted above, plus the supporting documentation below:

Copies of all computer score reports (e.g., Pearson MMPI-2 Extended Score Report, TOVA, CPT-II or IVA+ Report).
An appended score summary sheet that includes all scores for all tests administered. When available, pilot norms must be used. If pilot norms are not available for a particular test, then the normative comparison group (e.g., general population, age/education-corrected) must be specified. Also, when available, percentile scores must be included.

Recommendations should be strictly limited to the psychologist�s area of expertise. Psychologists with questions are encouraged to call Chris Front, Psy.D, FAA Psychologist, at (202) 267-3767.

What else does the neuropsychologist need to know?

The FAA will not proceed with a review of the test findings without the above data.
The data and clinical findings will be carefully safeguarded in accordance with the APA Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct (2002) as well as applicable federal law.
The raw neurocognitive testing data may be required at a future date for expert review by one of the FAA�s consulting clinical neuropsychologists. In that event, authorization for release of the data by the airman to the expert reviewer will need to be provided.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

DrDom

*********I have found if you explain to your primary physician(if you have a good one) about the third class medical, they can prescribe certain drugs and state that it is for something other than what it is usually(or actually) prescribed for.

Sparky

Evidently what they taught you in medical school was a lot different than what they taught me. Saying you are prescribing a drug "for another reason" to bypass the law is unethical, illegal, and if discovered could cause you to lose your license. It also could get you thrown off of insurance carriers which means loss of revenue. There are VERY strict ethical standards that physicains are held to. You may see it as a white lie, the medical board (i.e. other doctors) would see it as a breech of ethics. You can not view government regulation as a bully, you have to view it as a legal standard that we can not violate lest we be both criminal and lacking in ethics and moral character.

Sure, some may do it (i.e. the antidepressant for "sleep"), but its not the right thing to do.

Nobody likes playing by the rules, but asking a doc to lie for you puts us in a bad situation. We don't like to be fun killers, but someone has to be doing the right thing here.

Ordering excess arrays of unneeded medical exams is what is unethical and immoral. "Lying" to protect a patient from harm is not beneficial to the physician but it is not unethical.

That being said, as a future physician I have no intention of breaking the rules. But on a basic rational level, it is not immoral to break an immoral rule.

Anvilbrother

THIS
Even if I do take all these tests its just supporting data for the flight surgeon, and not a guarantee that I will obtain my medical. All this shit and its not even for commercial flying.

The complete Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scales (Processing Speed and Working Memory Indexes must be scored)
Trail Making Test, Parts A and B (Reitan Trails A & B should be used since aviation norms are available for the original Reitan Trails A & B, but not for similar tests [e.g., Color Trails; Trails from Kaplan-Delis Executive Function, etc.])
Executive function tests to include:
Category Test or Wisconsin Card Sorting Test, and
Stroop Color-Word Test
Paced Auditory Serial Addition Test (PASAT).
A continuous performance test (i.e., Test of Variables of Attention [TOVA], or Conners Continuous Performance Test [CPT-II], or Integrated Visual and Auditory Continuous Performance Test [IVA+]), or Gordon Diagnostic System [GDS].
Test of verbal memory (WMS-IV subtests, Rey Auditory Verbal Learning Test, or California Verbal Learning Test-II).
Test of visual memory (WMS-IV subtests, Brief Visuospatial Memory Test-Revised, or Rey Complex Figure Test).
Tests of Language including Boston Naming Test and Verbal Fluency (COWAT and a semantic fluency task).
Psychomotor testing including Finger Tapping and Grooved Pegboard or Purdue Pegboard.
Personality testing, to include the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI-2). (The MMPI-2-RF is not an approved substitute. All scales, subscales, content, and supplementary scales must be scored and provided. Computer scoring is required. Abbreviated administrations are not acceptable.)
Additional testing: If problems are noted on tests of reading or math, follow-up testing with appropriate achievement tests should be conducted (e.g., Woodcock-Johnson Tests of Achievement-III; Nelson-Denny Reading Test, especially Fluency and Comprehension; WRAT-IV Math; PIAT Reading Comprehension).
CogScreen-Aeromedical Edition (CogScreen-AE) is recommended but not required.

NOTES: (1) All tests administered must be the most current edition of the test unless specified otherwise; (2) At the discretion of the examiner, additional tests may be clinically necessary to assure a complete assessment.

What must be submitted? The neuropsychologist�s report as noted above, plus the supporting documentation below:

Copies of all computer score reports (e.g., Pearson MMPI-2 Extended Score Report, TOVA, CPT-II or IVA+ Report).
An appended score summary sheet that includes all scores for all tests administered. When available, pilot norms must be used. If pilot norms are not available for a particular test, then the normative comparison group (e.g., general population, age/education-corrected) must be specified. Also, when available, percentile scores must be included.

Recommendations should be strictly limited to the psychologist�s area of expertise. Psychologists with questions are encouraged to call Chris Front, Psy.D, FAA Psychologist, at (202) 267-3767.

What else does the neuropsychologist need to know?

The FAA will not proceed with a review of the test findings without the above data.
The data and clinical findings will be carefully safeguarded in accordance with the APA Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct (2002) as well as applicable federal law.
The raw neurocognitive testing data may be required at a future date for expert review by one of the FAA�s consulting clinical neuropsychologists. In that event, authorization for release of the data by the airman to the expert reviewer will need to be provided.

why should this guy with 300 skydives and an active lifestyle have to shell out a cold $3000 to play with some blocks? These tests are a complete joke.

Better for him to put that money into the CFI's who actually work an honest living.

chemist

************I have found if you explain to your primary physician(if you have a good one) about the third class medical, they can prescribe certain drugs and state that it is for something other than what it is usually(or actually) prescribed for.

Sparky

Ordering excess arrays of unneeded medical exams is what is unethical and immoral. "Lying" to protect a patient from harm is not beneficial to the physician but it is not unethical.

That being said, as a future physician I have no intention of breaking the rules. But on a basic rational level, it is not immoral to break an immoral rule.

1) What tests are ordered that are "unnecessary"?
2) Lying to protect someone from harm? What harm? Non-invasive testing?

You'll think differently when you are initiated into medicine. If you go into your interviews with this cavalier attitude you'll never make it through the door. We exist in a profession that is held to a standard that NO other field is. If you bend one rule, what next? Bend more to suit your needs?

knowingly lying for ANY reason is unethical in medicine. Simple. I've served on ethics committees, medical boards, admissions committees, and I run a department. If I ever found out a doc lied for any reason in a medical chart, to a patient, or to a governing body they would be terminated and it would be reported to the medical board which would likely cause them to lose their license. Trust me... I've seen med students thrown out of school, i've seen residents relieved of duty, and I've seen "well meaning" docs stripped of their titles. This shit is serious.

But, again, as a non-physician you can bend or ignore rules you do not see fit. But we are highly accountable.

DrDom

***************I have found if you explain to your primary physician(if you have a good one) about the third class medical, they can prescribe certain drugs and state that it is for something other than what it is usually(or actually) prescribed for.

Sparky

1) What tests are ordered that are "unnecessary"?
2) Lying to protect someone from harm? What harm? Non-invasive testing?

You'll think differently when you are initiated into medicine. If you go into your interviews with this cavalier attitude you'll never make it through the door. We exist in a profession that is held to a standard that NO other field is. If you bend one rule, what next? Bend more to suit your needs?

knowingly lying for ANY reason is unethical in medicine. Simple. I've served on ethics committees, medical boards, admissions committees, and I run a department. If I ever found out a doc lied for any reason in a medical chart, to a patient, or to a governing body they would be terminated and it would be reported to the medical board which would likely cause them to lose their license. Trust me... I've seen med students thrown out of school, i've seen residents relieved of duty, and I've seen "well meaning" docs stripped of their titles. This shit is serious.

But, again, as a non-physician you can bend or ignore rules you do not see fit. But we are highly accountable.

Hey I didn't ask to get a fear mongering. You are a skydiver now, you rely on pilots. They risk their lives for your little rush, so why don't you get in line and show some respect?

normiss

I'm thinking it's time to let instructor ratings fade....
It's not worth the additional costs, risks, hassles, harassment, nor wear and tear on the body.
BEFORE considering the legal risks.
:(

that was on my mind for awhile, after talking with a lawyer and considering other issues, it was tough but earlier this year I renewed my USPA and didn't renew the ratings, 25+ years of instructing , tandems, etc., still do load organizing but sure miss working with students, toughest part is keeping my mouth shut when I see weak instructing - so far so good
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

billeisele

***I'm thinking it's time to let instructor ratings fade....
It's not worth the additional costs, risks, hassles, harassment, nor wear and tear on the body.
BEFORE considering the legal risks.
:(

that was on my mind for awhile, after talking with a lawyer and considering other issues, it was tough but earlier this year I renewed my USPA and didn't renew the ratings, 25+ years of instructing , tandems, etc., still do load organizing but sure miss working with students, toughest part is keeping my mouth shut when I see weak instructing - so far so good

you're talking about CFI ratings right? Why would there be any burden to hold skydive instructor ratings? I thought only thing that needed a 3rd class medical was rigger and tandem master, and even then it's not a law to have to have the medical for the TI...

you're talking about CFI ratings right? Why would there be any burden to hold skydive instructor ratings? I thought only thing that needed a 3rd class medical was rigger and tandem master, and even then it's not a law to have to have the medical for the TI...

You thought wrong. If you ever do become a Dr. I hope you do a better job of getting your facts right.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

mjosparky

You thought wrong. If you ever do become a Dr. I hope you do a better job of getting your facts right.

Sparky

^This.

Wonder where he got that from though? Why not the A&P too? :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

mjosparky

Sparky

Hmm I didn't know there was a reason I should have had to know that.

chemist

Sparky

Because you said you thought they were only needed for the rigger and tandem instructor. You should know what you're talking about, right?

theonlyski

Sparky

Because you said you thought they were only needed for the rigger and tandem instructor. You should know what you're talking about, right?

My impression was that only a rigger is truly legally bound to be required to have the 3rd class medical to perform his duties. And now the Tandem is required but it is not a crime to jump a tandem without one, just more difficult since you have to violate uspa to do it. The only crime would be to do 180 day repack with a 3rd class or conduct other rigger duties. I don't care for technicalities, I know just the few big hitters like "rigger needs a medical".

Honestly, I try not to pollute my mind with little political crap and save space in my brain to gain all the knowledge possible to fight disease. There is lots of progress to be made, treatments to be developed and cures to be found yet there are only 24 hours in a day. That's what I'm in this for. So forgive me if I don't give a shit about a certification process that is useless and lacks any integrity. They break all their own rules so why should I care if even they don't care?

chemist

My impression was that only a rigger is truly legally bound to be required to have the 3rd class medical to perform his duties. And now the Tandem is required but it is not a crime to jump a tandem without one, just more difficult since you have to violate uspa to do it. The only crime would be to do 180 day repack with a 3rd class or conduct other rigger duties. I don't care for technicalities, I know just the few big hitters like "rigger needs a medical".

Where did you hear that? Who was pulling your chain?

Riggers don't need medicals. I could have a heart attack while packing a reserve and it wont hurt you. Think about the purpose for the medical. ;)

I had my riggers ticket for nearly a full year before I got my medical (because I was in flight training). Medical or not, I can still work on reserve systems.

Believe it or not, the only currency requirement I must meet is that I be current to pack reserves, ironically you get current by packing a reserve. ;)

theonlyski

Riggers don't need medicals.

Well there you go. I learn something new everyday.

So why the hell is that guy offended I didn't know AFF instructor's need medicals? I mean, if even rigger's don't need them, and TI's don't need them, it follows AFFI's don't need them either.

I still don't see how me assuming AFFI's don't need medicals is me not knowing my facts?