korbin

Waiver / Underage

So where can I tandem Scuba?
:S

This is called 'discover diving' or 'resort diving.'

Can be as little as 15 minutes of prep, just like with tandems. And in Mexico, might end up on a sloping wall at 80ft (with thousands to go) with your 12yo daughter, one divemaster, and 4 sport divers.

Just to solidify it before someone jumps in and screams "MEXICO!," explain the PADI situation in the USA, you probably can better than myself.

I don't think tandem is the right term. You get all your own equipment and are not attached to the instructor.

I've done 4 of them. The first couple were quite extraordinary experinces, both on wrecks, one at about 40' with an instructor and one other tourist, and one at about 70' with just me and the instructor.

The last 2 I did were far more tame. Only about 12' deep, though one was to a crashed small plane. On those we had the instructor, a couple of experienced divers and 4 tourists. It was cool, but not worth the $.

I'd love to do the 70' dive again, but I think their policies have changed. Probably a good thing, especially if they are just going to take anybody with the cash. If that is their mode of operation, then they are smart to stick to 10 to 12'.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Max depth is supposed to be 40'. Reality varies, of course. The risk isn't very different once you get past 10', just longer for the instructor to get an unhappy person to the surface. You can blow your lung and suffer an embolism in as little as 4 or 5' of depth change. And that's the problem with this program. They tend to overweight the students so they sink like a rock, but that causes its own problems. Whereas a skilled TI and protocols tend to make tandem jumps safer than sport jumps, the opposite seems true for resort diving, unless the number of students is very low.

Min age is 10, though there are some programs available for 8yos.

Something brought this thread to mind this morning. I kind of wondered if Mr. Korbin ever made a skydive. He was 16 in 2008, so could have done it anywhere by 10 or 11. I looked at his profile, and appers to have dropped off dz.com in 2008 as well.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

I got bored reading through the thread when I realized that Korbin is trolling for something. IMO he is or is trolling for an attorney. There's alot of really good responses here, but I feel like all the res

ponders that are trying to truthfully add to the conversation are being hoodwinked

Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentum

fog52

I got bored reading through the thread when I realized that Korbin is trolling for something. IMO he is or is trolling for an attorney. There's alot of really good responses here, but I feel like all the res

ponders that are trying to truthfully add to the conversation are being hoodwinked

Very likely possibility, especially considering that when this thread ended, he was gone, never to return.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ