tbrown

RSL Hooked Up Wrong

Although reading Derek and Rob's posts shows that it is difficult to demonstrate that the RSL connected to the base ring would impede/prevent a cutaway,

Having been involved in testing for over 20 years I have learned one thing. “If you can imagine it, it can happen.” What happens in the air can not always we repeated on the ground and what happens during a “table pull” in not always what will happen in the air.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

This thread scared me, b/c all of my jumps RLS-less jumps have been hooked to the cutaway housing.

There's no need to be. If you're not going to use the RSL, hooking it to the cutaway housing is a safe place for it to be. If you don't plan to hook it back up, leave it there.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

This thread scared me, b/c all of my jumps RLS-less jumps have been hooked to the cutaway housing.

There's no need to be. If you're not going to use the RSL, hooking it to the cutaway housing is a safe place for it to be. If you don't plan to hook it back up, leave it there.

Agree with Hookit. The cable housing is one thing that won't be going away when you chop.

Seems the gear is so good anymore people don't really know how it works. It's enough to make me miss adjusting my Capewells with a pair of pliers. :D

I don't really miss it. That gear sucked.

In conclusion, clipping an RSL to a harness ring may be a bad habit, but I can't get them to jam on the ground. Hooking it to a release housing is marginally better, but a customer decides to dis-connect his RSL then he is best off tucking it under a mudflap.

Why do you think hooking the shackle on a release housing is a bad idea?

Like many others have mentioned, I can't think of any kind of malfunction caused by doing it.

Leaving the shackle loose and just tucked under something seems like a much worse idea to me; if it comes out during a jump it'll be flapping right there next to the 3-rings(which seems like it's not much of a problem), plus if it snags on something like another jumper you're looking at a premature reserve deployment. Ouch.

To All: I have a couple of real stories to share here.1 Jumper unhooked RSL tucked it into mudflap. Deploys main,has 2 out and wonders how/why. Figured that somehow the RSL pulled reserve pin during main deployment. 2. Just today @ the DZ, I saw an RSL on Jav routed to the outboard edge of the main riser. Low and behold, it was also exiting between the reserve risers on the outboard side. If RSL were activated could cause reserve front riser to be pulled from container by lanyard before pin is pulled disturbing reserve deployment sequence and damage to the reserve front riser due to friction of the lanyard and ring sliding on webbing. 3. Rental gear/packers. Have caught 3 similarly misrouted RSL's during the past 4 years at the same DZ without even trying. I attribute it to lack of education of the various equipment and/or lack of caring about the job being done. I educated each person involved in each mishap, 2 of the packers still did'nt learn much and got pissed. Have seen a few RSL shackles hooked to the 3 ring assembly as well. Would like to see the RSL system made more idiot proof.Would like to see an approved method ie. an attachment point for disconnected RSL shackle to connect to. Use it properly. Have a educated and solid reasons why not to use an RSL bfore having it removed. Don't remove RSL because Joe Coolio does'nt have one.