FreefallingCari

I downsized :)

So, I have 186 jumps on my very first canopy, a Spectre 170. It was loaded about .85 to 1.0.
She made me very happy. Those beautiful openings while I learned to pack were priceless, she was VERY forgiving. I practiced maneuvers that would be vital to saving my life, such as downwind and crosswind landings. (I performed these via Hop N POP on slow days and let everyone know my intentions) :) I practiced braked turns, multioke canopy skills like stalling and reinflating the canopy during a course with Jay Moledski. I took a few courses, but I practiced on my own as well. Each jump was practice, each jump had a purpose for canopy skills-as it should.
I could throw a hula hoop out and land within her ring 50% of the time, the other 50% I landed within 20 ft or less. I could land her anywhere.

She was not just a canopy over my head, she was an extension of myself. She was part of me, we were linked. I was not "going for a ride", I was PILOTING her. She responded to my inputs...

With much thought and careful planning, as well as educating myself in r/t the canopy, I demo jumped a friends well maintained, beautiful Sabre 150. I felt comfortable and excited as I flew through the air... The landing? PHENOMENAL.

I downsized, and I liked it.... ;)
Skydiver Survivor; Battling Breast Cancer one jump at a time. DX June 19th 2014
I have been jumping since October 5th 2013.
https://pinkribbonskydiver.wordpress.com/

FreefallingCari

So, I have 186 jumps on my very first canopy, a Spectre 170. It was loaded about .85 to 1.0.
She made me very happy. Those beautiful openings while I learned to pack were priceless, she was VERY forgiving. I practiced maneuvers that would be vital to saving my life, such as downwind and crosswind landings. (I performed these via Hop N POP on slow days and let everyone know my intentions) :) I practiced braked turns, multioke canopy skills like stalling and reinflating the canopy during a course with Jay Moledski. I took a few courses, but I practiced on my own as well. Each jump was practice, each jump had a purpose for canopy skills-as it should.
I could throw a hula hoop out and land within her ring 50% of the time, the other 50% I landed within 20 ft or less. I could land her anywhere.

This ^ just went into my bucket list!
I jumped just about everything, my bad. I hope there's hope for me to experience what you have.
What goes around, comes later.

Were you being sarcastic? It is difficult to determine tone via a msg board. I am not saying that my journey to downsize made me special, or implied that I am superior to others..
I wanted to share a positive story that showed a progression that did not end in major injury.

I listened to those who were wiser and more experienced than myself, I think it helped my successful 4 jumps on my new baby.
Skydiver Survivor; Battling Breast Cancer one jump at a time. DX June 19th 2014
I have been jumping since October 5th 2013.
https://pinkribbonskydiver.wordpress.com/

Cari, love your post. Like most people (I guess) I am always thinking what next. Then I think have I gotten everything out of my current canopy yet? Reading your post lets me know I have so much more fun ahead of me. Thanks
My goal is that when all is said done I will have a big pile of well used gear and a collection of great stories.

Wait a minute...

You took courses, practiced your drills, built your skills over time and jumps, made sure you knew what you were doing; and then down sized?

Pfft. Where's the excitement in that?

You clearly need to work on your "Madd Skilz."

You should be on a sub-100 cross-braced by now. B|

We really need a sarcasm font on here. :P

Seriously, good on you for doing it right.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo